PDA

View Full Version : 6th gen 3sgte swap i DONT want it AWD help please

lipster
07-09-2005, 08:14 PM
ok so im not pickin this up as quickly as id like to so bare with me here ok so ive been looking through this forum as well as others and im still lost so help me out if u guys can.......
i have a 94' celica GT so, if i get the ST185 front clip i should just be able to drop the engine in hook it all up and i should be good? i read all the steps on a journal and a buncha other stuff but some of it seems vague at times. like im confused with the axles? do i have to swap my stock ones? and in the journal i was confused it seemed that they were making it AWD. do i have to make mine AWD or RWD if i get the st185 front clip? or can i just keep it FWD? sry for all the questions but PLEASE HELP. -jon

Supersprynt
07-09-2005, 08:59 PM
You have a GT so you can use your stock transmission and stock axles.

lipster
07-09-2005, 09:44 PM
thanks, so basically its just what an engine swap would appear to be then take my engine out drop the new 1 in and connect it to my trans...nothing else really big like axles or anything weird like that? and just to make sure it would stay FWD?

Supersprynt
07-09-2005, 10:02 PM
An engine is just an engine it has nothing to do with the transmission. Your keeping the same transmission so nothing changes.

Smaay
07-10-2005, 06:18 PM
you coulld get the MR2 turbo tranny with the LSD in it also....if your going to make serious power with your 3S then i suggest you go that route...

Luis C
07-10-2005, 07:25 PM
I take it you're the same person asking the same question over at Toyota Nation.

lipster
07-10-2005, 07:48 PM
u kno it im tryin to get as much info as i can loll

Lagos
07-10-2005, 08:00 PM
use the search feature. there have been a lot of posts on awd and the 3sgte swap. it should give you all the info you need.

lipster
07-10-2005, 10:50 PM
thanks... but the thing is i dont want AWD lol

Supersprynt
07-11-2005, 12:24 AM
Your car wont magically become AWD when you put in a 3sgte, like I said earlier, the engine has nothing to do with the transmission, this is simple stuff.

Lagos
07-11-2005, 01:12 AM
lipster, if u did use the search feature like i said, you would have learned that there isisnt a single member on this site that has changed their car from fwd to awd, on this site. all of are swaps are still fwd.

an awd conversion is "in theory" possible and has been done by one or two guys in the world, but no one who is a member of this site has ever done such a thing.

lipster
07-11-2005, 04:24 AM
ooo i did use the search feature tho....i just found every "journal" that i read vague b.c it didnt specify...also some of the ones that i have read talked all about AWD but thanks... thats what i need to know

BraveUlysses
07-11-2005, 05:32 AM
Maybe you shouldn't be considering engine swaps if you're confused about the differences between the words "engine", "transmission" and "search".

lipster
07-11-2005, 03:22 PM
maybe u shouldnt be a sarcastic prick? i just didnt wanna rush into it cause id rather not throw away a couple of grand

MikeCturboceli
07-11-2005, 03:49 PM
Thats not tru there was a black celica awd conversion here in florida some guy with a shop did it. The car was on ebay too i didnt get to see the car run but i heard is was hell of fast. Anyways i see u need a lot of help and have a lot of question so you can hit me up MikeCMia23 on aol IM i have done the swap on my celica and im on my second 3s engine. I trying to see who has the fastest 6th gen celica on the site

MikeCturboceli
07-11-2005, 03:55 PM
Oh lister u may want to go with the 3sgte tranny and the camry v6 axles or u could have custom axles like i had build. on my first engine which was stock i popped the axle racing a 350z :) at 14psi well i know that the gt has stronger axles, but im not sure what ur looking for big power or your going to keep it stock if u are u should be fine til you decide to turn the boost up :)

lipster
07-11-2005, 07:29 PM
got ya thanks man i appreciate it

lipster
07-11-2005, 10:31 PM
where did u get ur axles made? or did u do it yourself?

Supersprynt
07-11-2005, 10:31 PM
Thats not tru there was a black celica awd conversion here in florida some guy with a shop did it. The car was on ebay too i didnt get to see the car run but i heard is was hell of fast. Anyways i see u need a lot of help and have a lot of question so you can hit me up MikeCMia23 on aol IM i have done the swap on my celica and im on my second 3s engine. I trying to see who has the fastest 6th gen celica on the site

Its already been stated that its possible and a few people have done it.

We say search because that will be the easiest and best way for you to get all of the info. We can easily forget something that was stated before. Thats why searching is a great way to find answers quickly.

You can use all types of transmissions from the stock GT (easiest and least expensive) to the expensive Solara or MR2 LSD transmission. The bottom line is that your car will remain FWD no matter what transmission you put in it, even an alltrac tranny because you are lacking the rest of the drivetrain of a GT-Four. So you dont have to worry, you will remain FWD.

lipster
07-12-2005, 01:37 AM
THANK YOU a straight forward answer lol do u think a all trac tranny is strong enough to handle alot of power? or u think i should just shell out the extra cash n go for a MR2 or solara trans?

Supersprynt
07-12-2005, 01:44 AM
Yes the alltrac tranny will be plenty strong EXCEPT consider using the alltrac tranny as not an option. Its unsafe and not made for FWD, its designed for AWD. If you want <300hp I would opt for the MR2T tranny or Solara.

MikeCturboceli
07-12-2005, 03:39 AM
got the axles made from a company called gator axles in orlando florida
i gave him my stock axles and he made me custom axles good for 350-400 so if i upgrade my turbo im going to swap it for a 3sgte mr2 95 brand spanking new from toyota and take the lsd out and put in a kazza lsd in it. Thats only cuz i plan on make big hp on my next motor. 500hp +

Mike431635
07-12-2005, 03:54 AM
I'm surprised nobody has let this guy know about the clutch/pressure plate combo you need. Actually, dude if you're going to use the 3SGTE with a stock trans you need to contact SPEC clutches and they can make you what you need. I believe thats what Lagos did.

lipster
07-12-2005, 05:04 AM
yea that is def news to me can u elaberate on that a little bit? and how can i get in touch with them?

Supersprynt
07-12-2005, 05:05 AM
Yeah that would be the best thing to do, but we're not going to list everything you gotta do and stuff, part of the swap is doing the research.

lipster
07-12-2005, 05:07 AM
got the axles made from a company called gator axles in orlando florida
i gave him my stock axles and he made me custom axles good for 350-400 so if i upgrade my turbo im going to swap it for a 3sgte mr2 95 brand spanking new from toyota and take the lsd out and put in a kazza lsd in it. Thats only cuz i plan on make big hp on my next motor. 500hp +

nice about that do they have a website or do u have a number i can reach them at?

lipster
07-12-2005, 05:08 AM
yea i kno that i mean i wouldnt expect u to do that but...ive been doin some research and i never heard about the clutch thing i read one place that some1 was doing it but it wasnt the same year so i didnt kno if it mattered

scothaniel
07-12-2005, 04:21 PM
Just use the clutch and flywheel from the 3SGE powered Celica's (86-89 model years).

Scott
90 All-Trac +
96 Celica +
Michigan