PDA

View Full Version : 91 convertible vs. 92-93 convertible differences...

Disco Dan
07-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Ok, I have a 92 convertible, and the driver's side rear quarter panel is... well, it was in an accident long before I had it and the owner had body work done to it, which was apparently a shoddy bondo job. Maybe it looked decent then, but it has since started to bulge and crack.

Anyway, I'd like to just strip it down of all rubber & plastic on that section, cut out the rear quarter panel, and replace it with one that's in better condition. Now, I know where I can find a good condition 91 driver's side rear-quarter panel, but what I don't know is if it's going to look exactly the same. I've been looking at pictures of the 91 & 92 convertibles side by side, and though I can tell that the bodies look SLIGHTLY different, I can't tell exactly where that difference is. The front fenders looked wider in the 92-93 at first glance, but then after looking at another 91 at a different angle, I wasn't so sure. In any case, I don't want to pick up this rear-quarter panel only to find it's not quite the right shape. I'm sure it will FIT on the car, I'm not worried about that, but I'd rather it be symmetrical with the rest of the car! Any help with solid information on the differences would be greatly appreciated. Also, any pictures that make the difference obvious would be great. Thanks.

D

Freeze
07-10-2005, 02:03 AM
I believe the body itself should be the same. The lights and things such as that will be different though if you have need to replace them.

Luis C
07-10-2005, 02:45 AM
They are the same as long as you've been looking at 92-93 convertibles, no variation whatsoever. When comparing two cars light, angle and colours can be deceiving and give U a wrong idea.

Disco Dan
07-10-2005, 03:12 AM
Er, sorry, must have worded that funny.

I'm looking for body differences between 91 & 92 celicas. 90-91 were the same, and 92-93 were the same, and the impression I've had was that the body was widened or flared differently or something between 91 and 92. That's what I meant.

D

alltracman78
07-10-2005, 04:20 AM
I don't think there were any differences like that.
Why don't you check the p#s [yes, they sell quarterpanels] and see if they're the same?

carlosfandango
07-10-2005, 11:27 PM
some very early gtr gts models were wide body.