View Full Version : Only one headlight pops up

12-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Hey, all, I have a problem with my headlights

The left one always pops up without a problem. but lately the right one doesn't always work. Sometimes it pops up (less and less often), occasionally it pops up later, but most of the time it just doesn't work.

I hear there are relays/coils in the kick panel, they are two little red squares, but i don't know how to take them out and test them. What can i do to figure out what needs to be replaced? Any help would be great

12-12-2004, 11:29 PM
I had the same problem on my old 85GT. I ended up replacing the bad headlight motor with one from the junkyard for $20 and all was well again.

12-13-2004, 04:15 AM
it's probably just your motor...buddy of mine had the same problem..and just replaced the whole motor..his car is not winking anymore..

12-13-2004, 05:55 AM
motor be goin

untill u replace it u can use the lil crank wheel on the bottom of the motor to raise it up and down manually

12-13-2004, 06:22 AM
You can test the motors by running 12V juice to them but be advised they work in tandem; the faulty motor may test fine individually but may still need to be replaced.
(A Toyota Tech told me this and proved to be correct in my case.)

12-13-2004, 08:21 AM
either motor or maybe a loose cnnection as well, as it does work sometimes, might be an idea to check both out.

12-13-2004, 06:03 PM
i think its out of headlight fluid......

12-13-2004, 06:05 PM
Ok PC, thats not very helpful. Everyone knows we dont use headlight and turbo fluids anymore. lol

12-13-2004, 06:38 PM
maybe it's at a loss of elbow grease.

did any of these solutions fix it?

12-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Thanks for all your help guys, it's so much better than Celica.net :)

How do i find this manual winder? i looked under the bumper and around that area and can't find it. How do i get to the motor? I don't have a repair manual anymore, i lost it. If anybody could post a pic that would be really helpful.

12-14-2004, 03:22 AM
Ok PC, thats not very helpful. Everyone knows we dont use headlight and turbo fluids anymore. lol

how often am i helpful? :hehe:

12-14-2004, 07:46 AM
lmao@pc.. ummm.. ummm.. good question.. ya fired. hahaha

manual winder? will be just behind the headlight assembly, probably a little white or black dial on the top of a small motor. ive never used the celica one cause ive never had dramas with my lights, but ive seen a few cars so that should be reasonably accurate.

12-14-2004, 11:59 PM
u may still have the lil rubber cover still attacted to it.just pull it off and there she be

12-19-2004, 03:11 PM
Can somebody show me a picture of where this manual headlight winder is because i had another look and still can't find it. Also, what can i do to check if it's the motor or something else, because i can't find a cheap motor around here, all the wreckers want $80.00 AU for a single motor. Also, how do i get to the motor and pull it out. I tried searching this forum, celica.net and google and can't find anything.

12-21-2004, 03:08 AM
I had a sticky pop-up headlight on my '84 celica and after manually cranking it up and down a couple of times and squirting some wd-40 in the hinge parts it freed up and worked fine.

12-21-2004, 03:48 AM
if u have an owner's manual it shows u the location of the "winder"

12-22-2004, 02:07 AM
the winder is white and looks like a gear for an RC car...it's directly below the headlight. There is a removable rubber cover over it that just slides off with ease. BTW, it might not be your motor...when I was in the rebuild process and finally got my motor in I quickly found out that my passenger headlight didn't work. The headlight was out of alignment by a fraction of an inch....I then took it off and made sure the entire assembly was perfectly centered. Ever since then it has worked as good as the other one. Sometimes body panels and radiator supports get bent out of line and also effects the pop up of headlights, it could just be stuck like mine. Who knows

12-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Can somebody please explain how i actually can get to the motor so i can see if something is wrong and can give it a quick grease up to see if that helps. The light doesn't look to be touching the side quarter panel or the bonnet?

01-06-2005, 03:06 AM

Could anybody explain how to get to the winder. I don't have the manual. I've ordered the Haynes repair manual from my library but i dont' think it will be here for a bit. Also, where is the motor? I would like to try lubing it before i replace it. Any help would be great. Thanks

01-06-2005, 05:28 AM
The winder. Standing from the front of thr car with bonnet up look to the inside edge of the head light there should be the winder there either under its little black boot or lookn straight at you has a little white arrow on it. check the earth connections MR2's are quite bad for headlight's not working due to a bad connection

01-06-2005, 06:23 PM
take the motor out take it apart its alittle tricky and regrease it its probably rusted inside its tricky putting it back together but its been done there is a basket holding this roller thing and the basket squeezes it so its difficult putting it back in but thats probably the problem and dont dick around with the adzustments youll make the lights come up in different interwals