PDA

View Full Version : Contacted Meziere for possible electric water pump GB for 3S/5S engines

MrWOT
07-06-2005, 10:38 PM
So I sent an email to Meziere (http://www.meziere.com/) they make electric water pumps for various sports applications to see if they would make one for a Toyota 3S block. Incidently the 5S uses the same pattern so this would be applicable to celica and MR2 guys :)

Now, people might ask "Why the fuck would I want an electric water pump anyway?", here's why.

Flow rates are CONSISTANT, doesn't matter if you're going 2mph in traffic, or 90mph blasting down the highway, the flow rates stay where you set it regardless of rpm so temperatures are far more easily controlled.

I've run into this issue personally, but if you make a hard run down the freeway and then encounter traffic, the temps climb pretty damn quick since you aren't moving as fast, less flow. Flick a switch, or turn a knob (if you want speed control) problem solved, more coolant flow.

Faster warm up times.

Gain a few hp from less parasitic drag. (not much hp though, maybee 5 or 6)

For the cammed guys especially, the stock pump impeller is designed to run in a certain range. Revving the motor past the stock limit will cause the pump to start to cavitate (http://www.mcnallyinstitute.com/CDweb/c-html/c021.htm). This fixes that because pump speed is constant. :)

Now, for the people who will say "Electric pump? Fuck that, it'll fail" These thing have about a 3000 hour life. Now, consider how long that is. at 25mph (and how many people here drive 25mph all the time ;) ) it will last about 75,000 miles! That's about a normal lifespan for a water pump, and for those of us who drive around 60mph most of the time (freeways of course :hehe:) that's about 180,000 miles worth of use, but of course you won't be going 60mph all the time, so I think it would be fair to call this at about a 100,000 mile lifespan, and that's on the lower side.

In terms of installation difficulty, they would be a direct bolt in, plus wiring to a power source. Myself, I plan to run a high/low circuit so I can have about 35gpm at under 4000rpm and 45gpm above that for "spirited" driving conditions ;)

Anyway, Don Meziere JUST (2:29pm california time) sent me an email asking for a picture of the stock pump, so I'm going to send him one to see if they will even do it. What I want to know, AND BE REALISTIC HERE, is how many people would buy one of these? The price would run about $280 gauging by the price of the nissan, mazda etc pumps off of a few websites, but I'm not sure on that, just going off of what is available now. Anyway, just give a yay or nay on this one. If you're looking for a high power daily driver or daily driver/track car though, I'd definetly recommend this, it will help longevity :) But if your car is stock and will stay mostly stock. Don't bother.

MrWOT
07-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Come on folks, I see 4 Views and 0 votes, I don't care if you vote no, in fact, if you're not interested I WANT you to vote no, I need an accurate count as to how many people have seen this vs. how many are interested. Thanks.

Luis C
07-07-2005, 12:55 AM
I maybe in or not, if something doesn't bust or blow up when the GB goes through I will most probably be in.

BTW, I suppose we wont have to get a shorter timing belt.

MrWOT
07-07-2005, 02:09 AM
I'm looking into that right now. It will probably require a shorter belt, unless we use a remote mounted pump, since if it needs an idler pully, the pully sits where the pump would normally go. Then the electric pump would be mounted to the fenderwell or something with lines going to the plate. I'd rather avoid that and use a shorter belt, but I need to measure to find out how much shorter it would need to me and make sure I can even find an appropriate belt.

alltracman78
07-07-2005, 02:32 AM
Well, I would say no.
Got too much other stuff right now [on the vehicles] for one.

Wanted to point something out.
You say when the flow slows down, the engine heats up.
But, the slower the coolant flows [to a point],the more heat it will pick up, and the more it will give up at the radiator.
How much of the higher temps are from less airflow, do you think?

MrWOT
07-07-2005, 02:47 AM
It will pick up more heat yes, but you don't want it to pick up more heat, because there isn't enough airflow to dissipate the larger heat load at slow speeds, you want more coolant flow with a lighter heat load. The fan can only pull so much air.

And please put in your "no" vote. :)

alltracman78
07-07-2005, 02:48 AM
Ahh, I gotcha. :)
Missed the vote the first time. Sorry. :D

Sean
07-07-2005, 03:03 AM
You state a few reason's on why you want to do this, but none of them sound over the top. 5-6 horsepower sounds acceptable, if were talking about a 500hp monster. Your not going to see that much of a difference.

I see no need for this, only because the factory cooling system has never been considered a weak point. Of all the modifications list I've browsed (including 700+ hp monsters) the cooling system is typically left untouched. Just no need to change it out.

Now, perhaps some competition on oil dry sump systems, that would be interesting.

4 cents

MrWOT
07-07-2005, 03:29 AM
Actually, the idea occured to me because aftermarket water pumps seem to be a weak point when it comes time to replace it. And maybee it's just the 4th gen that has cooling issues then? But I definetly get high temps (2/3 gauge) after a hard run when I drop below 40mph. This isn't a super high performance mod, it's just there for extra safety, much like the dry sump. You can rally and race a celica with the stock wet sump, but the dry sump is superior ;) This is designed for the mid-highly tuned daily drivers. The idea is to ensure cool temps on a highly tuned motor that might see a sudden lack of flow.

And damnit, put in your "no" vote ;)

Oh yeah, it's not like I'm going to be all torn up if not alot of folks are interested, it just means I'll have to pay a slightly higher price to get them to make one just for me :hehe:

alltracman78
07-10-2005, 09:33 PM
What does the inside of a 4thg pump look like?
Is it a cast iron piece? Or machined aluminum?

MrWOT
07-11-2005, 03:42 AM
It's aluminum, but since noone really seems to be interested, I'm going to just contact them for my own pump, doesn't seem to be enough interest for a GB, oh well, no discount for me :hehe:

schreindogg
07-11-2005, 06:28 AM
I'd say no at this stage because even when I beat the living shit out of my car, the temp never really creeps above 1/2 which is about 180-195 on my Autometer gauge. I have my fans on a switch, so when I encounter heavy traffic I turn them on and the needle never moves. Also, with the price of a new OEM water pump being around $80 thats quite big difference.

CriScO
02-07-2009, 05:20 AM
You closed the poll, but let me know WOT. I think it's a fine idea.

grayscale
02-07-2009, 03:32 PM
My first thought is, these might be particularly useful to some one using an under drive pulley on a dd.

MrWOT
02-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Lol, this was almost 4 years ago! Noone else seemed interested at the time, but if you call them, they should still have the pattern for the blockoff plate and idler.

CriScO
02-08-2009, 09:20 AM
LOL, how the hell did it get bumped? It was at the top of the forum! I need to start looking at dates...