PDA

View Full Version : my ride is always bumpy: why?

nunley
07-06-2005, 09:11 PM
ok. im not dumb, but surely im no mechanic. and this one has me stumped

I was driving like an idiot and i took a turn way too fast. my car slid sideways and ever since then, when it starts to move it will bump-bump-bump like running over small sticks in the road. the faster i go, the faster the bumping becomes. once im up to interstate speed its just a vibrating type noise.

at first, i thought: one (or more) of my tires has a flat spot. i couldnt see a 'flat' spot on any tire. but the two outside tires have the sidewalls pretty much shredded. ((i bought 4 new tires 3 days before this happened :( ))

now i have never heard of a car riding bumpy like this from a flatspotted tire...

i took it to WalMart since thats where i bought the tires...of course flatspots arent covered by their protection plan *ripoff*
they rotated,and balanced the tires. after visually inspecting each tire, they told me there was nothing wrong and each tire was in top shape......i guess they didnt look hard enough to see that each of the right side tires had the sidewall tread torn to shreads :slap: . told me there were no flat spots

so my question is,,,are the Walmart people wrong, or is there something else causing my car to bump at different intervals according to my speed.

if so, what else could cause this???my dad said that a hub bearing might have gone out...if that is the case, then why did my car bump in the rear before tire rotation, and then bump in the front AFTER rotation?

any ideas would be appreciated, because after driving with vibration on the highway for so long, it is starting to make some interior pieces rattle which is very annoying on long trips.

ps. please dont flame me because i drove my celica like an idiot and skidded out...i regret it all the time. im very glad i didnt get hurt and only got a dented bumper and roached tire(s). thanks

CelicaGT4
07-06-2005, 09:14 PM
bent rim

alltracman78
07-06-2005, 09:16 PM
^
that's the other likely explanation.

acidice333
07-06-2005, 09:22 PM
Could also try an alignment? I skidded right into a corner, but with my wheels parallel to the curb. All I needed was an alignment, and supposedly have a bent rim but I moved that to the rear and it works out.

Rayme
07-06-2005, 10:21 PM
bent rim ? maybe the idiots at walmart didnt bother to tell you

Disco Dan
07-06-2005, 11:41 PM
Another thing to look at is the control arms. They get bent from hitting curbs like that. But I don't know of them causing bumps and road noise. My bet's actually on an alignment. I ran my civic off a country road (you know the kind with no shoulder and just deep ditches), and it did what you're talking about. After an alignment, no problems.

D

XxXSnideRXxX
07-07-2005, 05:00 AM
Did you actually hit a curb or not? My car does the same thing... and i know exactly whats wrong with it... When i got the car from my sister, it didnt do it, but since then, ive pulled alot of hard sharp turns and donuts... and it started doing the bump bump thing but kind of like a grinding too... so i took the front tires off and got under there and looked around, and it turns out that i ripped my CV boots and all the grease came out, there for making those shafts run hella hard... After i replace these, i know it will stop... same problem i had in my Accord.... This maybe be help ful or it may be trash, lemme know!

nunley
07-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Did you actually hit a curb or not?
nope. it was an asphault road with no curbs, just grass on the sides. i slid into open grass.

the idea of a bent rim makes sense...but how would it have gotten bent from sliding only. i didnt hit any obstacles. also, after a visual inspection and putting each tire on a balancer, i think the Walmart guy would notice a bent rim.

it did what you're talking about. After an alignment, no problems.

the idea of alignment going out: will someone please tell me how sliding sideways will set your car out of alignment. i dont know much about alignment. and how much does it usually cost to have alignment checked?

i ripped my CV boots and all the grease came out, there for making those shafts run hella hard

im gonna go check those tonight.

thanks for all your help guys. ill post how it goes tommorrow, as i will have someone more qualified test drive it for diagnosis

Disco Dan
07-07-2005, 02:54 PM
Alignment is this:

When you set your steering wheel straight, your car should drive straight as well. The wheels should be lined up straight. In other words, like this:

[] []

[] []

When you skid or turn excessively hard, it knocks the wheels out of alignment, and you end up like this:

[] []

[] []

Obviously that's a bit crude and extreme, but the idea is the same. Take your car to a straight road, start driving and straighten out the wheels. See if it doesn't pull to one side.

As for the CV boots, that's also very possible. When they rip, it allows all sorts of grit and grime to get into the grease and can seriously tear up the joints. However, if the CV is the problem, it's usually a loud clicking or creaking and generally gets more noticeable when you turn left or right, depending on which side, if not both, is bad. Plus you can visually inspect the CV joints under the car. They look like vaguely conical rubber accordian covers that basically cover the "elbows" of the axles. If you compress or stretch them lightly with your hands, you should be able to tell if there are any rips in them.

D

alltracman78
07-07-2005, 05:16 PM
I thought you had gotten an alignment already.
After you check out the cv boots, if they're good, go get an alignment.

xrissxross
07-07-2005, 05:42 PM
GOOD INFO HERE (disco dan)......may car makes vibrating noises when i turn left so i guess they must be the cv boots? right? gonna check em out when i get home and another thing is that when i reverse (only when i reverse) theres a clicking noise that comes from the rear end? could it be the same problem or something else? thanks

Disco Dan
07-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Oh, forgot to add:

Alignment is about 50-60 bucks. Usually in that range. If you have an alltrac it'll be more, but front wheel drive cars are usually in that range.

D

nunley
07-07-2005, 11:06 PM
went to walmart and had a long disscussion with the manager guy at the garage.
he checked the tires himself after test driving the car with me.

sure enough. the front tires were both cupped and the left one had a bad flatspot.
more 'discussion'...he agreed to take my warranty into account.
two new tires and 50 dollars later, the ride isnt bumpy anymore

it still pulls to the left. im getting it aligned with my next paycheck.

again, thanks for your help everyone