PDA

View Full Version : camber adjustment kit

Rayme
07-05-2005, 10:31 PM
is such a kit needed for a 1.5" drop ? I'm thinking eibach sportsline style drop. hehe...the guy at the store said it wasnt needed

oh and where's cheaper to get them? A local store charges me 330$ CA + tax for a set...

Luis C
07-05-2005, 10:52 PM
I got a Prokit and needed it.
I lost 4 T1-S because I thought I didn't, eventually the rear tires wore on the inside until the webbing was visible and it was too late to install the camber kit.

So I suggest you get it before you find out the hard and expensive way like I did

Rayme
07-06-2005, 12:12 AM
I got a Prokit and needed it.
I lost 4 T1-S because I thought I didn't, eventually the rear tires wore on the inside until the webbing was visible and it was too late to install the camber kit.

So I suggest you get it before you find out the hard and expensive way like I did

How many bolts did you need to make the adjustment? one in each strut or both bolt of each was needed ?

Galcobar
07-06-2005, 01:32 AM
The camber kits come in sets, either by side or by axle. Eibach does by axle, so you'd need two 5.81270K. The Pro-kit should only produce a 1-1.3" drop, and the general consensus (meaning it may or may not apply to your car, tire and driving style) is that it's unnecessary above the 1.5" borderline -- beyond which you should also upgrade your shocks.

I expect your coupe is a lighter car than Luis' GTi, so that may make a difference. Having not installed the bolts before, I'm not sure how much a problem it would be to fit them on separately from the springs, waiting until a camber check has been done to make the decision.

If you're going to drop your car, may I suggest also replacing the shocks/struts at the same time? The originals will almost certainly not be able to handle the additional stress for long. Replace the mounts as well. The rubber is rather unlikely to be in good shape.

Best prices I've found in Canada aren't. I went to the web -- all prices in US dollars. Coximports.com, a web offshoot of an East Coast company, has the Eibach Pro-Kit 8207.140 for $213.73 with free shipping over $150. They also offer a 5% discount to new newsletter subscribers, so I got the springs for $203.05.

KYB GR-2 front cartridges (front struts are rebuildable) 365075 run about $45 each, the rear struts (L and R are different) 235038 and 235037 about $65. Coximport.com has them for $225.43, but I got mine off an EBay store called JDMwerks for $199.99 shipped.

All the shipping is to a friend in Washington state to avoid the tripling of shipping costs that happens when a package crosses the border.

Mounts are a pain. Ended up buying them off rockauto.com. Wanted the Dorman mounts but they proved to be unavailable for the rear, so got KYB and Dorman. Cost me $198.13 shipped. Next best price I could find was 935motorsports.com for US$206.50 shipped.

Before ordering check the condition of your bumpstop and boots. They need to be in good condition or you should replace them. KYB SB103 (front) SB101 (rear) are $10.98 per at nopionline.com plus shipping.

Rayme
07-06-2005, 03:41 AM
The camber kits come in sets, either by side or by axle. Eibach does by axle, so you'd need two 5.81270K. The Pro-kit should only produce a 1-1.3" drop, and the general consensus (meaning it may or may not apply to your car, tire and driving style) is that it's unnecessary above the 1.5" borderline -- beyond which you should also upgrade your shocks.

I expect your coupe is a lighter car than Luis' GTi, so that may make a difference. Having not installed the bolts before, I'm not sure how much a problem it would be to fit them on separately from the springs, waiting until a camber check has been done to make the decision.

If you're going to drop your car, may I suggest also replacing the shocks/struts at the same time? The originals will almost certainly not be able to handle the additional stress for long. Replace the mounts as well. The rubber is rather unlikely to be in good shape.

Best prices I've found in Canada aren't. I went to the web -- all prices in US dollars. Coximports.com, a web offshoot of an East Coast company, has the Eibach Pro-Kit 8207.140 for $213.73 with free shipping over $150. They also offer a 5% discount to new newsletter subscribers, so I got the springs for $203.05.

KYB GR-2 front cartridges (front struts are rebuildable) 365075 run about $45 each, the rear struts (L and R are different) 235038 and 235037 about $65. Coximport.com has them for $225.43, but I got mine off an EBay store called JDMwerks for $199.99 shipped.

All the shipping is to a friend in Washington state to avoid the tripling of shipping costs that happens when a package crosses the border.

Mounts are a pain. Ended up buying them off rockauto.com. Wanted the Dorman mounts but they proved to be unavailable for the rear, so got KYB and Dorman. Cost me $198.13 shipped. Next best price I could find was 935motorsports.com for US$206.50 shipped.

Before ordering check the condition of your bumpstop and boots. They need to be in good condition or you should replace them. KYB SB103 (front) SB101 (rear) are $10.98 per at nopionline.com plus shipping.

thanks for the info, I plan on getting the sportline springs which are rated at a 1.5" drop...I thought of getting the alignment kit but I'll wait till I have to get it aligned, my tires will only survive the summer and I'm parking the car this fall so I'll just wait I guess. My 4 shocks have been replaced 2 years ago with monroes(hehe), they supposed to havea a lifetime warrenty but I dont know if the car's lowered...I think I lost all my receipts anyway, I'll change them when they blow to something better.

I've seen the eiback alignement kit, they come with 2 bolts, I was just wondering if each struts needed 1 bolt or 2...I can see now how only 1 might be necessary but it is installed in the upper or lower mount?

Luis C
07-06-2005, 06:51 AM
The camber kits come in sets, either by side or by axle. Eibach does by axle.

Having not installed the bolts before, I'm not sure how much a problem it would be to fit them on separately from the springs

Mine are set per side, one bolt for the front (wich U wont need cause the front suspension is designed so you can adjust camber) and one bolt for the rear.

Installation is easy peasy, you would just need an air tool to remove one of the bolts from the lower part of the rear strut assy and dial the camber in as neccesary.

Galcobar
07-06-2005, 04:52 PM
I've checked on the Monroes (was thinking about them) and they won't honour a warrenty if the car has been lowered at all. KYB will honour up to a 1.5" drop. Dunno about Konis.