PDA

View Full Version : Starlet taking FTD! (vid and pics inside)

Conrad_Turbo
07-04-2005, 07:10 AM
http://upload.3sgtemr2.com/userfiles/DBM/sscc%202005%20038b.jpg

So finally getting the Starlet sorted (still have more mods and tweaking to do) I've claimed my first FTD with the car, I have taken FTD with other club members cars...now it's time that I took one with mine. :D

I narrowly beat the teal modded MR2, my roomate/bus. partner, here is the time sheet:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/mixman1982/IMG_9664.jpg

Here is a picture that I photographed of my roomates' MR2 in action:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/mixman1982/IMG_9641.jpg

Here's the Starlet in the pits:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/mixman1982/IMG_9609.jpg

Here's the video (download it while you can as it won't last...) of my final and FTD run. :D
http://s45.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3OF19RHGFQR3428W563B0IBLJQ

My pops was taking this on his digicam and it had weird focusing issues but you can get the gist of it. :woot:

nuclearhappines
07-04-2005, 09:16 AM
FTD ! congrats !

Mr E
07-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Looks damn cool man.

Turbo working well?

RickyNo
07-04-2005, 03:50 PM
Damn Dog, shut up! :slap:
:laugh:

MrWOT
07-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Good job man :bigthumbu about time you started winning with your own car :hehe:

roman
07-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Haha, 13" Hoosiers = sex. I love those tires! I've driven cars on them and it's insane.

edit- Man, that's a pretty fast finish. Most places I go to have something crazy before the finish just to slow you down. I see you guys put a slalom in to slow people down but it didn't seem to work on you, haha ;) At least you had room to stop. I hate it when the finish is fast and they have a DNF wall 30ft after the lights. I have to start braking before the lights half the time and it annoys me.

MoralWarfare
07-05-2005, 03:41 PM
holy poop, you hit that slalom quick!!

Conrad_Turbo
07-05-2005, 05:37 PM
Looks damn cool man.

Turbo working well?

Ya the turbo is working great. :D It's pulling hard under 7psi of boost and the power is very linear, it doesn't have an hard hit at all, just gradually pulls harder and harder. Which is good since I need very smooth power delivery since I don't need the car to pick up a whole bunch more power midway through a turn. Haha.

Roman the Hoosiers are the R25 compound mostly used on Formula Vee cars so they are VERY soft! I was sliding around on them and the Starlet barely caused any damage to them (the Starlet is so damn light). I have another autox event tonight with the car so we'll see how the slicks do, it's supposed to be hot this evening too! The car is going to stick like mad.

The Starlet does very well at high speed transisions (ie: slalom) and high speed sweepers. It's hard to tell in the video but our stop box is around 30-40ft (from the lights to the end of the box), what made it scarier that there was a 2.5ft wide patch of water going across the track about 5 ft from the lights in the stop box. I was afraid of locking up the slicks on the water then flatspotting them on the dry asphalt in the stopbox! So I was pretty gentle on the braking since it was my first time with slicks (I've been running Kumho R compound's for 3 years now) and I am wary about locking them up and ruining a perfectly good set of tires. Haha.

I'll see if can get some in car video of the car racing tonight...you will have a MUCH greater appreciation for how fast it is as compared to outside video. :D

roman
07-05-2005, 11:11 PM
Yeah, in-car videos are much faster than outside. That's how it is with autox. I guess you don't have that much weight to stop so it's not that big of a problem for you ;) I helped my friend flatspot a set of Victaracers this spring. He runs on Hoosiers now (AS03) and they're much better at the limit. Definitely a stickier tire.

Conrad_Turbo
07-06-2005, 03:04 PM
Yeah, in-car videos are much faster than outside. That's how it is with autox. I guess you don't have that much weight to stop so it's not that big of a problem for you ;) I helped my friend flatspot a set of Victaracers this spring. He runs on Hoosiers now (AS03) and they're much better at the limit. Definitely a stickier tire.

Ya it's easier for me to lock up because of the lack of weight, but then it's harder to flatspot since the car is so light as well. Haha.

The R25 Hoosiers are great tires...but I am not as impressed as I thought I would be with them. I think the reason for that is that I am not fully used to them yet.

Well I didn't get any in car video last night due to the batteries in my camera dying midway through the event. I came in 2nd...about 3 seconds back from my roomate with his MR2! It's funny having 2 people in the same house take first and second 3 events in a row. Haha.

Here's the timesheet from last night.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v622/mixman1982/IMG_9752.jpg

roman
07-07-2005, 04:42 AM
What are the R25 Hoosiers? I know that the "R", like in RS03, usually means they're for road racing, and therefore they're made out of a harder rubber to withstand the harsher environment. The "A", like AS03, tires are for autocross and they are much softer. However, I have seen a sick '72 RSR Porsche at one of the Audi events here and he was running on full out Eagle race slicks. Those tires just didn't want to break loose no matter how much he pushed them. It was insane.

edit - looking at the time sheet, your buddy in the MR2 destroyed you! What was it about this course that made such a huge difference?

Conrad_Turbo
07-07-2005, 07:57 PM
What are the R25 Hoosiers? I know that the "R", like in RS03, usually means they're for road racing, and therefore they're made out of a harder rubber to withstand the harsher environment. The "A", like AS03, tires are for autocross and they are much softer. However, I have seen a sick '72 RSR Porsche at one of the Audi events here and he was running on full out Eagle race slicks. Those tires just didn't want to break loose no matter how much he pushed them. It was insane.

edit - looking at the time sheet, your buddy in the MR2 destroyed you! What was it about this course that made such a huge difference?

Heh it had long high speed "straights" (only had a few slight offset gates) and considering he has 250-260hp and I probably have 110ish...being under 3 seconds back isn't so bad. :laugh: ALSO he only ran the new V710's (uber sticky) and he's almost gone through one set in 3-4 events! While as for me a set of R's with 30% tread last me a whole season. Haha. Although my slicks are taking quite the beating, the Starlet doesn't have LSD so any inside wheel spin tends to get the inside slick HOT.

The R25 is a race slick used on Formula Vee cars, the R25 is the older compound...there is the R25A (performs better under a wider operating temp range than the R25) for sale new now. Here is a link (mine is the old compound but the tire size is 20x7.5-13).

roman
07-08-2005, 03:06 AM
Oh, for some reason I thought you had LSD. Are you putting one in anytime soon? Might as well weld that diff for now ;) I run open diff too and it sucks. I don't bother looking for an upgrade though because I'll be buying a newer Miata soon and that will come with LSD.

Conrad_Turbo
07-08-2005, 08:42 AM
Nope no LSD for me...$800USD is just too much for my budget right now. I will be swapping in an AE86 (4.3:1 and disc instead of the Starlet's 3.7: and drums) rear end with a custom set of 4 trailing arms I will build (full rod ends :D). I have the rear end prepped and ready to go, just need to put an lsd into the rear end before it goes onto the car. Not sure when that will happen though...

How's you/your Miata doing? My roomate went to Edmonton (5hrs away) to race and he said there was about 6 or so Miatas, 5 of them were boosted (some with SC and others turboed). Crazy!

Adrian Avgerinos
07-08-2005, 02:51 PM
Alright, I'll bite. What's "FTD"

Regardless, it looks like fun. :)

Conrad_Turbo
07-08-2005, 10:24 PM
Alright, I'll bite. What's "FTD"

Regardless, it looks like fun. :)

Whaaaa? It's Fastest Time of Day, FTD. :D

EvilSpeeder
07-09-2005, 06:24 PM
Congrats Conrad! Thats awesome. I must admit, the starlet is one ugly ass car, but I love what you've done.

Colossus20v
07-11-2005, 10:34 PM
Conrad have you ever dyno'd the starlet or how much do you assume the engine is putting out currently? Evil- the starlet is sexy...i just sit here and imagine a silvertop in it or something like that.

Adrian Avgerinos
07-11-2005, 10:48 PM
Conrad have you ever dyno'd the starlet or how much do you assume the engine is putting out currently? Evil- the starlet is sexy...i just sit here and imagine a silvertop in it or something like that.

...maybe with beer goggles. :hehe:

Colossus20v
07-11-2005, 11:22 PM
...maybe with beer goggles. :hehe:
your such a kidder Adrien. But seriously with a nice paint job that car would be uber sexy. I'd hit it.

EvilSpeeder
07-12-2005, 04:19 PM

Sexy like a one toed Russian Hooker wearing a flip flop. It's sexy in a, 'dayum that weird little thing isn't supposed to be that fast so there must be a big brain and a turbo in there somewhere' kinda way.

Colossus20v
07-12-2005, 04:53 PM
I like the wide round ass end of it ok. nice curves.

Conrad_Turbo
07-13-2005, 02:51 PM
:laugh: Personally I like the looks (ie bodystyle) of the car, but ya it needs a lot of tlc on the body...which will come with time as right now it looks like ass.

Nope never dyno'ed it since there is only 1 dyno in town and they charge $70CAD for one pull...not worth it in my mind. Although I do have (should be getting it any day now) a Gtech Pro Competition upgraded with the RR software so I will be able to get decent dyno graphs from it (although I am sure it will hurt the top end hp since it doesn't figure wind resistance with it's test) and datalog how myself/car do while autox racing. But realistically I bet it's putting down 100-110hp (equivalent to a bluetop 4age) which is far better than the 58hp from stock.

I think a silvertop would be cool...but there are so many guys that swap 4ag's into Starlets that it's just as common as swapping a 350 into a Chevette. If I were to swap another motor I'd want to do something different...like when I had a chance to buy a 2003 Celica GTS that was a writeoff due to sliding sideways into a pole. I was thinking of taking the motor, finding an appropriate transmission, cnc mill an adapter plate and allow the 2zz to be used in a rwd configuration. I'd love to have an all aluminum 1.8L Toyota engine in the car...but that won't happen for a long time if it were to happen at all. :D

Colossus20v
07-20-2005, 02:19 PM
I dont know if a silvertop would be real good for autoX though, because of it being a high reving motor. I guess if it was in a lite car then it would be fine, but I thougth torque would be better for autoX.

Conrad when is your next race?

edit: Well maybe a high reving engine would be good because you could keep it in gear longer, and keep the revs up. Once over 4.5k it is fine, its under that where it lags.

Conrad_Turbo
07-20-2005, 11:58 PM
I dont know if a silvertop would be real good for autoX though, because of it being a high reving motor. I guess if it was in a lite car then it would be fine, but I thougth torque would be better for autoX.

Conrad when is your next race?

edit: Well maybe a high reving engine would be good because you could keep it in gear longer, and keep the revs up. Once over 4.5k it is fine, its under that where it lags.

The car weighs 1700lbs wet...it's stupidly light. The tires are too wide for the car that they have a tough time staying in their operating temp range (unless it's over 25 deg C outside). Right now the car lags to about 4k and it begins to pull hard past that...so it's difficult keeping it in the powerband as well.

My last race was last night and I co-drove my friend's modded 1st gen CRX, I haven't lost to someone in their own car till last night...he beat me by 0.010 of a sec on a 49.7sec course. It was sooooo close! :D

Reason I didn't run the Starlet is because it needs an upgraded water pump as the stocker isn't pushing enough water through the rad. The motor gets hot after it's runs and I don't want to risk popping another headgasket. So far for cooling upgrades it has:

'93 Honda Civic SI radiator
12" 1200cfm flow rad fan (a cheap version of a spal)
no thermostat
1.1bar rad cap

...and it's still getting hot (230deg F). So I have to sort the issue before I run the car again. Unforunately other things have taken hold (everyone here and mr2oc will hear about it in a few weeks if all goes well) and the car has been put to the side a bit. House stuff has taken up some of my spare time as well. But enough of the excuses...I will be posting a new thread relating to my autox event last night. :D

Adrian Avgerinos
07-21-2005, 02:56 AM
This may be a dumb question, Conrad, but is the radiator ducted? Also, did you completely remove the thermostat or did you gut the one you had?

Conrad_Turbo
07-21-2005, 03:26 AM
This may be a dumb question, Conrad, but is the radiator ducted? Also, did you completely remove the thermostat or did you gut the one you had?

There's tons of room for the air to move out the back of the rad, the whole engine bay is pretty much empty behind the rad. Also there is the two hood vents as well... I removed the thermostat completely to allow the coolant to flow without restriction...but it still gets hot.