PDA

View Full Version : Power Loss

oneal66
07-04-2005, 03:10 AM
I've got a 2000 Celica GT, it has been running pretty good until recently. When I press the gas it hesitates for a few seconds. It doesn't happen that often, usually only after I crank it. Once its been running for a little while it really doesn't have this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks alot.

Jason

ibanezgfx
07-04-2005, 06:29 AM
clean the MAFS, give it a tune up
plugs, wires etc...
new air filter

those may all help

MoralWarfare
07-04-2005, 07:07 PM
doesn't it use DIS? Would you need to update ignition wires?

James D.
07-04-2005, 10:59 PM
minor tune up

Spark Plugs
Clean MAF Sensor
Oil Change
Clean Injectors
Clean air filter

oneal66
07-05-2005, 01:34 AM
I've changed the plugs, filter, and changed the oil about 2000 miles ago.
To clean the injectors, would a fuel additive work (like STP) or do I need to remove the injectors and clean them?

James D.
07-05-2005, 02:52 AM
STP or Gunk additive

oneal66
07-05-2005, 03:08 AM
Ok thanks alot man, I added some STP, when I changed the plugs, and air filter. I guess I'll clean the MAF tomorrow afternoon.

ibanezgfx
07-05-2005, 07:04 PM
be careful when cleaning the MAF
i heard it is very sensitive. just barely use any pressure witha q-tip and some rubbing alchohol

correct me if i am wrong please

James D.
07-05-2005, 11:18 PM
correct

Smaay
07-06-2005, 12:52 AM
you dont need a q-tip. just spray a can of break cleaner up inside there...not teh 2 ires that you can see on teh side...thats the air intake temp

oneal66
07-06-2005, 11:18 PM
Yeah, I'm just going to try the brake cleaner, and see how that works. The car seems to run better now that I've changed the plugs, and stuff. But I'll go ahead and clean the MAF.

Thanks for all your help guys. :bigthumbu

oneal66
08-14-2005, 05:32 PM
I am still having problems with my car. I went and got an OBD II scanner when I got a CEL a few days ago, and it said that the system was running too lean. I've replaced the plugs, cleaned the MAF, changed the plugs, air-filter, and ran fuel system cleaner twice. Does any body have any idea about what I can do to fix my car?

James D.
08-15-2005, 12:15 AM
what fuel are you using? 87 octane?

oneal66
08-15-2005, 02:31 AM
yeah I usually use 87.

James D.
08-15-2005, 05:42 AM
try to use 91 octane, thats what i always use on my GT even the rest of my familys cars, see what happens, 91 octane burns cleaner

ibanezgfx
08-15-2005, 06:35 PM
doesn't it use DIS? Would you need to update ignition wires?
you are correct sir.
i wasnt thinking :slap:

kcc
08-16-2005, 02:38 AM
i have same problems on my gts auto with new plugs,wires,filter,91 octane,and clean MAF------------------ need u help....

BoneSTock91Celica
08-17-2005, 09:23 AM
i thought 91 burns quicker?

oneal66
08-17-2005, 09:05 PM
Would my fuel pressure have anything to do with it? Is there anyway to check what my pressure is? Also, is there a better way to clean injectors than just the fuel additive?

Thanks alot,
Jason

James D.
08-18-2005, 12:20 AM
if not then you guys better get a compression check up coz one of my friends lost compression on 1 cylinder.

Also need to get the fuel pump of injectors checked, or maybe fuel has water

oneal66
09-04-2005, 09:28 AM
Well I finally got the problem fixed! It turns out when I cleaned the MAF I did not use enough brake cleaner.

I took the car to a shop that my brother and I have used for years back home. I asked the owner what he would charge me for a new cat. He gave me an awesome price, so I took the car to the shop. They put the car on the lift and checked the converter, and it turns out the converter was working well. However, the upstream O2 senser was not. So they replaced the O2 sensor and I was on my way. Later that night the car was stalling out like it did before. Needless to say I was pissed. I go back to the shop and told them what was up (I also added some seafoam to the car that morning). Then they put the car through the gauntlet, and turned up nothing. The owner had a confused and apologetic look on his face, and said he was just as lost as I was. However, he told me that the local Toyota dealer was pretty trustworthy, and they might have better luck. A little worried I took the car over to the dealer ( I was afraid that this would end up costing me over a grand like another dealer tried to charge me). I was wrong. The guy I talked to brought an OBD scanner that probably could have diagnosed problems with the MIR space station, and he came up with the same thing that I have been getting. However, he brought out a screwdriver and brake cleaner. I told him that I had already cleaned the MAF, but he looked at it and told me that I didn't clean it enough. He then emptied about a half a can into the MAF, plugged it back in, told me what to do if that didn't work, and didn't charge me anything. It worked, but I still got the code that the catalyst was below efficiency. So I get back to Dallas with the car running excellent, but I still had a CEL. The next morning the battery was dead. When this car gets sick it goes all out. So I think this is the perfect opportunity to get a red top to match the car. Put the new battery in, and the CEL hasn't come back. It's been about a week so I guess that the problem is finally gone, and the car is running at its best.

Sorry for the long post, but it has been a long week.

Jason

thundr51
09-05-2005, 03:07 PM
I may have to do the same to my car soon..

Incidentally, where did you get the OBD II scanner and where is the port located on the car?

oneal66
09-05-2005, 07:44 PM
I got my scanner from Pep Boys. It works pretty well, and it cost right around $100. The port is located on the drivers side right around the hood release. It has a little rubber cover, and it looks like a printer port.

PhatGTS
08-02-2006, 04:45 AM
Ok i know i probably sound really stupid saying this but i don't want to screw something up...my gts is doing that exact same thing...bogging down when i press the gas in first...where EXACTLY do i spray the brake cleaner...i know in the Mass Air Flow...but where at...thanks a lot ...don't dog me too hard..i don't know that much about cars except for mine looks good and was fast..untill now..

Oh yeah i also had a Cheaper Cold Air Intake Installed by a bodyshop...so where do i spray the cleaner?? i would say that might have somethig to do with it but my car was doin this before the intake...Thanks ....