PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Chris and another canadians that might be able to help :)

Keyroo
07-04-2005, 12:05 AM
Hey guys!

well as chris knows and a few of you other blokes might know, i'm living up at the snow in australia right now, and i'm gonna jump on hte next thing smoking after teh season and hit up whistler, i've already got a job lined up over there ect, i was wondering if you guys could answer a few question for me just to make things a bit smoother and so i don't get any suprises

1: power, what is the voltage over in canada? just so i know if i have to get a voltage converter for my shit or not

2: banks, whats a big, good bank to be with, i will need to start up a bank account for my pay

3: phone companies for getting a pre payed card to shove in my mobile for hot chicks phone numbers HAHA (or maybe just mates :P), whats a good one ect? and with good coverage

4: how far is it from vancouver to whistler? is there a public bus system or would i have ot arrange somethign?

think thats about it, if you have any more advice for me while travelling there please feel free to share, i cna't get on the puter much but i'll do my best,

help would be much appreciated :)

and if any of you are in whistler next winter i'll put my new cell number on here when i get it, hit me up and come for a slide :)

Matty :)

Galcobar
07-04-2005, 01:51 AM
1) Household power is run at 120 volts.

2) Five big banks: CIBC, Bank of Montreal/BMO, Royal Bank of Canada, TD Trust Canada, Bank of Nova Scotia/Scotiabank. Any will work. Service isn't as good as a local credit union, but you'll be able to find branches more easily in a wider area (though the credit unions have more branches in those cities they cover).

3) If you're out of Whistler, it's Telus or Rogers for coverage. You can pick up a pay as you go cell there. Avoid Fido as the coverage is very limited, but Bell is pretty decent. Check telusmobility.com, rogers.ca, bellmobility.ca

4) About 160 km, or 2-2.5 hours. There's a bus service run by Greyhound between Vancouver and Whistler. The airport is actually in Richmond, and there's a bus service that runs from the airport to the Greyhound bus depot. http://www.greyhound.ca/en/

Unless you're buying a season's pass, grab a pass from the 7-11 convenience store in the Lower Mainland (refers to the area from the southern start of the Sea to Sky corrirdor -- Whistler's almost at the northern end of the corridor -- to the U.S. border, where most of B.C.'s population lives).

Keyroo
07-04-2005, 04:07 AM
oh sick thanks for the help bro, much appreciated

looks like i'm gonna have to get a freakin power converter as all aussie shit runs on 240v,, that sucks, but at least i know now beforei go,

yeah iwill be getting a season pass, already got the money saved for that, so i'll grab one once i get theere and the white stuff starts to fall,

thanks for the info tho bro, i'll try and get a bank account organised over there before i even leave here and throw some money in it so i'm setup,

if anyone else has something to contribute that would be sick

thanks

ChrisD
07-04-2005, 04:24 AM
Hey roo!

Like Galcobar said, any bank will do. There are only a few major's that he said that are pretty much readily available anywhere for ATMs and branches and such. I've banked with Royal, CIBC, TD/Canadatrust, and National Bank of Canada. I would stay away from National because they are very scarce in the west (a quebec company). CIBC, Royal, and TD are probably the most common.

For telephone, I'd go with Telus. They are the #1 telecom company in western canada. Bell is okay, but more heavily involved in the east. Plus I'm probably getting a job at Telus this week! :P

Keep me posted bro!

Chris

lavy_gts
07-04-2005, 05:45 PM
Exactly what they all said, However Bell sucks, 28cents a minute for local calls = poop
Horible service too. Also Im with TD and it is a very good bank in my opinion, but like the first guy said, your local credit union will fit the budget a lot more, seems there interest rates are usually under 1%.

Finally Im not 100% sure on this, but I thought if you called your local Hydro company they could convert your voltage for you, saving you from haveing to go out and find a converter?

Galcobar
07-04-2005, 05:57 PM
I rather doubt BC Hydro (provincial power utility) would be willing to rewire a house.

lavy_gts
07-05-2005, 12:26 AM
wait.. is he talking about the prongs that stick in the wall or is he talking about converting the power source (in ontario every house has a utility box on the side of there house, where if youdont get the voltage needed some dude comes, plugs some shit into it and voila.)

Keyroo
07-06-2005, 12:32 AM
thanks for the reply gusy, spoke to my boss today about a few things so i'm getting shit underway,

as for voltage, i just mean power adapters for my laptop and ipod ect, i don't think my canadian house mates will want the house rewired to suit me!!

thanks for the help anyway,

MAtty :)

ChrisD
07-06-2005, 05:11 AM
hahaha. cant wait till you get here dude. :cool:

schmooot
07-06-2005, 10:08 PM
you're shippin the car across with you right? Good choice mang whistler is on of the top ski hills in the world.

I'm pretty sure you just need an adaptor to be able to plug your laptop and cell in too.

acidice333
07-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Buy one of them travel adapters before you leave (:

I know here they sell travel adapters that simply plug into foreign sockets so I can connect my laptop adapter to.

Keyroo
07-24-2005, 01:16 AM
sup guys, wel i'm getting my shit together now

finding a place to live, my boss has a mate in whistler who has an apartment, he's just refernished it, new beds, carpet, walpaper ect, two bedrooms so it's perfect since i'm travelling with a girl who is working up here with me atm, so we coud have the whole apartment to ourselves would be sick, so we just gotta wait to hear back about it, not tooo bad a price either

just getting my travel insurance organised and then my plane ticket and thats about it eh!!

thanks for hte help guys

MattY :)

Galcobar
07-24-2005, 03:13 AM
Whistler rents are disgustingly high, and getting pretty much any halfway decent price requires luck or connections. Actually, most things are disgustingly expensive in that resort town.

Keyroo
07-27-2005, 01:38 PM
same as any resort town, but it's worth it for htel ifestyle, i'm lucky with rent on the mounain i'm living on atm, but food and grog is still stupidy priced up here,, shit happens , i live on a ski resort, i board every day and i have fun every night, can't complain about that eh!!

schmooot
07-29-2005, 04:33 AM
looks like you're gettin the proper canadian terminology down alright eh?

Arcias
07-29-2005, 06:25 AM
Eh!

celicaguy.
07-31-2005, 09:12 AM
Nice, what kinda job you got lined up for whistler? Finally found someone on here whos life sounds not far from mine, riding and celica's.

Keyroo
08-09-2005, 11:49 PM
hahah, yeah for some reason we are all talking like canadians up on the mountain now, i dont know why!!!

my job up on whistler is nothing exciting, just doing ski delivery and pickup but it gives me a shit load of time to ride as i start work at like 3pm and finish at 10, so i get every day to ride, quite similar to my job on my current mountain but with a lot less responsability,
plus i was told you cna get a fair few tips on this job from generous american tourists, some of the guys on adverage get a tip worth two hours wuages from some of the customers,,, sounds good to me!!

anyhoo i'm getting my shit together just still trying ot find accomodation, but i'll get there

when i organised a cell phone over there i'll post my number on here and if anyone is heading to whistler hit me up for a ride!!

trdcelica90
08-10-2005, 03:07 PM
enjoy your stay in good ole BC :)

ChrisD
08-12-2005, 03:25 PM
Do you know what date you are coming here yet?

Keyroo
08-28-2005, 03:07 AM
hey i think i have dates!

24th october i'll probably be heading over mate, the girls i'm travelling with want ot do the hiring clinic for the lift company so we have to go over a bit earlier,

i think i've got a house roganised just sending the woman our references and as long as she says yes then all good! it's only 10 minutes walk from town

anyhoo i have to go back to work i'll speak to you later

chris i'll let ya know more when i know :)

Matty

ChrisD
09-02-2005, 04:11 PM
Sweet dude :)

Keyroo
09-07-2005, 05:49 AM
ok all confirmed, the house is mine!, it's awesome, just send the damage cheque off, and i booked my air fares yesterday, i'll be rocking up in whistler on the morning of the 24th october, and i also got an email from my new boss in whistler, and my job is confirmed and i might be able to start as soon as i get there which is awesome, since i worked out my funds and it's not looking crash hot at the moment!

so ya, as i said when i get a prepayed cell phone sim card i'll post the number here so u guys can hit me up if ur coming to whistler

speak to ya soon guys

Keyroo
10-06-2005, 02:19 AM
so i'm planning on flying home on the 30th of april, so i recon party in calgary,, i dunno, mid april??

whats everyones thoughts?

Galcobar
10-06-2005, 02:24 AM
Nice, arriving exactly one month before the mountains open...you'll have time to practice on the glacier. Just don't forget early-bird season passes are only sold until Oct. 10.

Keyroo
10-06-2005, 05:53 AM
yeah man, i should be starting work the day after i get there which is cool, my boss is organising my lift pass he recons he can get it cheaper than early bird, guess he knows best! so i'm going along with that :P

acidice333
10-06-2005, 07:18 AM
How you going to get to Calgary in April? hehe

Keyroo
10-06-2005, 09:47 AM
catching a bus mate, bit over 200 bucks return to vancouver

ChrisD
10-06-2005, 10:18 AM
You should take a look at westjet flights too once you are here. I think they might be right about the same price and it's only a 90 minute flight instead of 12 hours on a bus!

mid-april is cool with me bro!

Keyroo
10-07-2005, 02:41 AM
oh sick i'll look into that chris,,

soo,,,, now we have a vuage date, whose in?? and the big question, where we gonna do it? has loki built his castle yet?

acidice333
10-07-2005, 03:04 AM
Sounds good... I may in in haha
If the date is right, I can give you a ride to Calgary for 1/2 of what it will cost you (:

Keyroo
10-07-2005, 07:58 AM
yeah???? there will be two of us, is that cool? that would be sweet man, we'll work it out :) should be a sick party

acidice333
10-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Yeah... I said maybe tho lol... I can't do it till after April 25th so yeah that might be a problem lol

Keyroo
10-08-2005, 12:06 PM
haha, yeah no worries mate, still plenty of time to work it out :)

ChrisD
10-23-2005, 02:55 AM
Keyroo ETA 48 hours :eekomg:

ronin
10-25-2005, 11:21 AM
well guys.. roo should be well and truly there i would imagine. if you talk to him. tell him to let my wife know i miss her huh.. and to take care of her (not really married, running joke.)

ChrisD
10-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Sweet. Keyroo man let us know when you are back online!

Keyroo
10-29-2005, 11:26 PM
DUDE! i'm here :) been here for a few days, :) just got the net hooked up etc :)

driving on the wrong side of teh road etc weirds me out! hahah,, but all good

i got a cell phone if u wanna msg me, but weirdest shit, it costs me money if u ring me, wtf is with that? crazy upside down country! haha

number is : 604 902 3055 :)

speak to u all soon

acidice333
10-31-2005, 04:35 AM
:)

ChrisD
10-31-2005, 03:25 PM
RIGHT ON!

When does Whistler open up then? Let me know also if you plan a trip or two out to the Banff/Sunshine / Lake Louise area at all.

:)

Keyroo
10-31-2005, 08:30 PM
the way ti's spewin down on top of hte mountain at th moment they think they are going ot open the hill on thursday! but we'll see waht happens eh,

still woudln't mind rocking up at your joint at the end of teh season but i'll see how money goes i'm amazingly poor right now, like REALLY poor, oh well.

i'll keep you guys in the loop :)

Matty

ChrisD
11-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Definitely dude. Well just ask around, most people there have probably made trips out to Banff. Great boarding. But it's best in - after January. ;)

Keyroo
11-03-2005, 11:51 PM
ahh mate i wouldn't be going out there boarding, justcoming out to party with u and the celica crew, thatsi t :P

ChrisD
11-04-2005, 12:21 AM
:woot:

Keyroo
11-04-2005, 03:38 AM
so we still up forthat?

ChrisD
11-04-2005, 03:49 PM
Absolutely man. Loki is game whenever I'm sure as well. I know a few Celica-types that would love to come out. And we'll have to get that bitch Luni out here.

Keyroo
11-05-2005, 02:44 AM
yeah sick, money is crap atm but i'll start saving :)