PDA

View Full Version : s54 tranny

jason
07-02-2005, 09:03 PM
Well I'm having shit luck with the local u-pull-its as far as s53 transmissions go. In the current tranny I just swapped in, the notorious 2nd and 3rd gear synchros are shot (synchromesh fluid not fixing it) and something with three of the gears are messed up. car sounds like a hooptie around 3grand rpm because the tranny starts to "tick/knock" really bad until I pull to 5 or 6k. For simplicity reasons I guess I will go to the s54 since I need to find a solid tranny before I do the 3sgte swap. I'm going to go with the "newer is better" approach this time because I went with an older transmission this last time for the s53 (it sat on the shelf like 6 years so I was hoping it was lower mileage and not rallied out) and I wound up with this headache. I guess my final question is what year/model car came with the s54? 6th gen celica up to '98 I gather and camry's....up to what year? is this correct? I don't believe I'll have to change out any shifter cables or tranny bolts will I? Oh, how about throwout bearing and fork, can I move those over from my s53?? Thanks-

jason
07-04-2005, 08:02 PM
bump

Luis C
07-04-2005, 09:11 PM
If you are gonna do a 3S-GTE swap then I suggest you buy a tranny that will support the extra power from the GTE. Instead of buying a S54 now and then get another for the GTE why not get one for the GTE right away? A Solara or MR-2 tranny will work

jason
07-07-2005, 08:21 AM
Because I'm not going to be 2wd for long. I'm only going to have the 3s in my 90gt until I build it to around 300 wheel hp (which will only be a year or so) at which point I'm going to swap the motor over to an alltrac, put the stock alltrac motor (if it's still stock) into the 90gt, and sell the gt. So this tranny only has to put up with some abuse for about a year which I'm confident an s54 or good s53 can do. So, back to my original question, am I only confined to the 6th gen celicas for an s54 and will the tranny fork/throwout bearing transfer? Thanks-