PDA

View Full Version : Dryclean your seats!

Disco Dan
07-02-2005, 06:02 PM
That's right folks, we're going to dry clean the interior seats!

But Disco Dan, no dry cleaner would clean something so big and bulky and heavy!

That's right, Johnny! But we're not going to take the seats to the drycleaner! We're just going to take the seat covers!

But Disco Dan, I thought the seat covers were part of the seats!

Well, little Johnny, they are, but they can come off too! It's actually a relatively short process that involves some screw driving and ratcheting, and a lot of prying open of little metal rings, but the seat covers DO come off, both the bottom, and the top! Not only that, but the head-rest covers come off as well!

NO WAY! Wow, Disco Dan, I had no idea that everything in a Toyota could come apart and be put back together!

Well, now you know, little Johnny. And knowing is half the battle!

I'll let you know how the covers come out. HOPEFULLY, smelling fresh and clean. One of the previous owners (despite the contrary information in the for-sale ad) was a smoker, so it's taking quite a bit of effort to get this thing smelling like a normal car again.

D

locker
07-02-2005, 06:51 PM
Wow... your putting some serious effort into cleaning up this car kudos!!!! I've pulled the seats in the celica apart a couple of times. Once to intall lumbar into the passenger seat and the last time I had to do the entire interior as I was installing the leather out of smashed up celi. Your right its not hard just time consuming. They should come out looking mint:)

alltracman78
07-02-2005, 07:02 PM
Wow... your putting some serious effort into cleaning up this car

If the car is worth it.....

Doctor Jinxed
07-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Dan you're awesome. Seems recently you've been fulfilling my curiosity and giving me some good info with your little experiments. lol

Edicius
07-02-2005, 08:16 PM
Well, now you know, little Johnny. And knowing is half the battle!

G.I. JOE!!!!

Adrian Avgerinos
07-02-2005, 08:17 PM
Good tip Dan. I wonder if washing the covers on the gentle cycle of a standard washing machine will work as well.

Luis C
07-02-2005, 09:01 PM
I getcha... My lower back tends to sweat to much so that part of the seat does not smell too well, I was thinking about steam cleaning the seats. Anybody had any experience?

Galcobar
07-02-2005, 10:56 PM
Pics on re-install demanded.

Disco Dan
07-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Pics will be forthcoming.

But first, a message from our sponsor:

Ok, so the seat covers that I pulled off were from a set of spare seats that I have. Those are the ones that reek of stale smoke. I used these so if something goes wrong, I still have the ones in my car, and I may just learn how to do it right for those! SO! For curiosity's sake, I ran the seat bottom and head rest covers through the wash once. After pulling them out of the wash, I have learned a couple of things:

All metal parts should be removed, and as I didn't think the long thin hook-ended metal bars could be removed, I didn't bother. But I have now removed them and the covers are in the dryer. Also, any ring clips should probably be taken off, though if they're securely attached, they should be fine. The other consideration is that if you run the metal parts through the dryer, it may cause enough heat to singe or burn the fabric parts that they're touching.

Also, by keeping the metal hooks on, I managed to ruin some of the ultra-thin fabric loops that held the metal hooks in.

As I said, this was kind of a trial run before I use the ones that are actually on the car. As for the seat-back covers, they're a bit bulky and cumbersome to throw in the wash, though after learning what I did with the other parts, they may be more feasible if I take the hooks out first, since that would increase foldability. Also, the vinyl seems to wash just fine. Overall, the covers smelled fresh, but I'll know more once they're out of the dryer.

Which reminds me, I forgot to throw in a fabric softener. I'll do that now.

D

Jeremy: thanks for the mental reminder; sent you an e-mail.

mike325ci
07-03-2005, 06:25 AM
dayum, wanna come over and clean my cars? lol.

acidice333
07-03-2005, 06:36 AM
Yeah I knew the covers could come out. I started taking mine off but I decided I didn't want to mess up my only seats.

VikingJZ
07-09-2005, 09:57 PM
My parents have a steam cleaner. My car sat outside with the sunroof tilted up for two and a half years completely untouched by makind. One of the first things I did was to borrow their steam cleaner and steam clean the seats in my garage at home. They turned out very nicely. For as long as the car sat, the interior was surprisingly clean, except for the carpet, but I'm going to get new carpet anyway. I know it could be cleaned and made to look like new, but a friend of mine put a new carpet pad in his car and the car smelled like "new car" for another six months. When I say "new car," I mean the smell you actually get when you purchase a new car, not the faux smell you get with Wal-Mart air fresheners.