PDA

View Full Version : CAI DIY Material Suggestion

caneman
07-02-2005, 05:16 PM
Sorry to repeat myself, but my question got buried under a lot of flaming rhetoric in another thread. Boy, I've learned that Celica owners are passionate about their vehicles (and defensive about their opinions)!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Has anyone tried using the pipe described below that is sold at the Summit Racing website?

http://store.summitracing.com/

"These RS Akimoto spiral flex air intake tubes allow you to custom-build an intake system to meet the unique needs of your engine compartment. They will hold their shape and have a special spiral design to increase flow through the tube. These tubes can handle up to 1,400 degrees F, so you know your intake charge will be good."

This sounds like a good choice for the DIYers as it would address most concerns about appearance, heat absorption, malleability, etc.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this stuff?

Doctor Jinxed
07-02-2005, 07:58 PM
can't be any worse than pcp. =P

Edicius
07-02-2005, 08:14 PM
in that case, why not go and buy some dryer vent hose? use the money you save to buy anti heat wrap, wrap it up, and you're all set.

Galcobar
07-02-2005, 11:01 PM
There's a reason why crush bends are inferior to mandrel bends in exhaust piping -- this would be the same arguement. Making the air travel in a spiral (bloody unlikely) means it's having to travel farther to reach the engine than if it were to flow in a straight line, meaning more engine energy is spent on pulling the air in rather than forcing old exhaust gas out and turning the wheels.

Snafu
07-03-2005, 01:23 AM
can't be any worse than pcp. =P

First off, what the fuck do you know.

It's an intake. Your car will still be slow, so it really doesn't matter.

Punisher
07-03-2005, 01:33 AM

:laugh: :laugh: :owned:

Punisher
07-03-2005, 01:35 AM
I did a pretty nifty little setup yesterday.. Using the stock airbox and stock intake .. just modifying it.. works just as good as anything else I've done.

Doctor Jinxed
07-03-2005, 01:50 AM

:ugh: Did I offend you unintentionally or something, cuz jesus, wtf's up your ass.

AJz
07-03-2005, 02:05 PM

You obviously dont have anything helpful to say so just dont :slap:

Im with Glacobar, spiral airflow would take longer to flow into the engine, its like having an intake setup with lots and lots of bends, pretty silly if your main purpose is create a high flowing intake in the first place.

evilcel
07-03-2005, 02:37 PM
I posted in this thread.

jinx where pearville in texas?

TRD Terror
07-03-2005, 04:57 PM
http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/avc-70002.jpg

Id have to say that I would much sooner order up a few mandrel bends and put sumthin together then bother using that thing.

Peace,
TRD Terror

spacepiston
07-03-2005, 05:47 PM
2, 2 1/2, or 3" solid core PVC pipe. I used 3" and it worked great. Drilled a hole for the intake sensor, sanded it and painted it black, works great now 2 years running. The design of the pipe allows for unrestricted air flow and a very nice sound when you step on the gas.

evilcel
07-03-2005, 06:00 PM
:runaway:

caneman
07-03-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm kinda glad I was the one who started this thread. It created a lot of (mostly) constructive discussion. I in no way supported the use of what, I now understand, would be a bad idea. Thanks for all your input.

Hooligan
07-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Aluminized steel is really cheap from summit.