PDA

View Full Version : MR2 Tranny Swap

StafeBak
07-02-2005, 07:20 AM
Hey I'm going to be doing my MR2T transmission swap (Non LSD) soon and was wondering two things before I get started.

(I have a 92 GT)

1.) Do I need all trac motor mounts?

2.) Do I need MR2 crossmembers?

I read this off a post on MR2OC awhile ago I think but I was wondering if it was just BS?

Dr Tweak
07-02-2005, 07:22 AM
You do need the alltrac motor mounts and I think the alltrack crossmember, not the MR2 one. Also you may be able to do without it. Do a quick search and you should find all the answers you need.

Adrian Avgerinos
07-02-2005, 08:22 PM
If you can get your hands on a V6 Camry tranny, the process will be easier as the shifter levers are on the correct side.

That said, you ought to use the front and rear mounts off the new tranny and they should bolt right up to the stock GT engine cradle. The lateral mount near the driver side strut tower may not be as easy. I found a combination of parts between the two trannies and a couple of new bolt holes solved that issue. Something may bolt up, but I'm not sure. Maybe the Alltrac mount will make it easier.

StafeBak
07-02-2005, 08:48 PM
The tranny I bought was already prepped for FWD and already had been installed in a FWD car but the guy scrapped his project.

YangS
07-09-2005, 11:39 PM
Does anyone know where i can find a write-up on converting mr2-turbo or
mr2-nonturbo transmission for front wheel drive..

my gt transmission shaft is shaved off, and looking forward to converting my mr2 trans so it runs in front.

90CelicaST
07-10-2005, 02:10 AM
YangS, here you go http://www.geocities.com/zegoat2000/e1531.html

scothaniel
07-12-2005, 06:48 PM
I just did the MR2 Trans swap last weekend into a 96 Celica ST. I've also put the ST205 trans in my 90 All-trac.

I used the front and rear GT4 mounts and they bolted right up to the ST's center support, and I used the drivers side mount from the GT4 as well. I also used a clutch slave cylinder from the GT4, as I wasn't sure if the slave from the C series trans would be long enough to fully engage the clutch.

As for the shifter assembly, I used one off an All-Trac and sealed up the other end with a quarter and some epoxy. No leaking problems yet - though its only been a week.