PDA

View Full Version : This can't be good - milky, glittery oil

Jigglypuff
07-02-2005, 03:29 AM
This isn't a Celica, but it's still a 5SFE, and I wanted to get some more input on my problem.

I changed my oil today because of a growing concern that I may have a small headgasket leak. I don't have any conclusive evidence of a HG leak like white smoke or a severe loss of coolant, but the car's history and oil color makes me think that I have a leak. I know that the car's radiator was replaced by the PO since it leaked, and I'm sure tha car overheated in that time. The oil also had a golden, milky color to it the last two oil changes. I was hoping that it was because of moisture from when I replaced the oil pan gasket and valve cover gasket, but it that doesn't seem likely since both oil changes were like that.

Today's oil was only 700 miles old, and it already had lost it's clear, golden qualities. It looked a bit darker, and had milky clouds in it. To top it off, it has a glittery quality to it from what I suspect is from metal particles.

Should I bother trying to revive a 192k mile-old 5SFE? I most likely won't try to anyways, so how long can I expect to be able to continue driving it like this? There's no engine knocking yet. How can I try to prolong its life? I'd ideally like the engine to be able to survive another least 3 years. That'll last me through college, at least.

85gtsblackman
07-02-2005, 03:54 AM
well u can rebuild it and get another 200k out of it

replace hg and go from there

fine low milage engine with a good warrenty

Jigglypuff
07-02-2005, 04:20 AM
well u can rebuild it and get another 200k out of it

replace hg and go from there

fine low milage engine with a good warrentyNo, no, does a 3rd gen 3SGTE sound good (hopefully)? :hehe:

I suppose I should have made it more clear, but the purpose of my post was to gauge how long until my engine dies. I'm not going to try to revive a dying engine.

RickyNo
07-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Other folks might give a better and more precise answer but i give i a shot. If your last oil had only 700 miles and was really bad, start looking right now at replacement, might not be long until it dies on you or cost you too much in fluids which you could save up on a new engine...

How long until the head gasket gives up? Pretty hard to tell exactly, but i wouldn't venture to far away from home without at least a cell phone and a towing/garage phone number in my pocket. :hehe:

Lagos
07-02-2005, 06:18 AM
you can to a compression test and see how bad it is, but it really does sound like a classic headgasket issue.

Dr Tweak
07-02-2005, 06:36 AM
If you're asking if this is a good excuse to swap a 3SGTE... then the answer is YES! :) But think twice about the 3rd gen, you don't need to spend the extra money on one :)

Toyota_Todd
07-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Just baby it while you start gathering the swap parts and it will hopefully hold out until you have everything. Changing the fluids more often may help you too.

Snafu
07-03-2005, 01:22 AM
Did you check the coolant? If something like this happens, why don't people just do a compression test.

alltracman78
07-03-2005, 03:36 AM
Other folks might give a better and more precise answer but i give i a shot. If your last oil had only 700 miles and was really bad, start looking right now at replacement, might not be long until it dies on you or cost you too much in fluids which you could save up on a new engine...

How long until the head gasket gives up? Pretty hard to tell exactly, but i wouldn't venture to far away from home without at least a cell phone and a towing/garage phone number in my pocket. :hehe:

Sound advice. ;)