PDA

View Full Version : 450 miles...

Disco Dan
07-01-2005, 05:03 PM
Well, it wasn't sputtering or making funny noises, and the trip meter is at 450.2 miles. I think I'll fill it up on my lunch break, but I'm kind of curious to see how much further I can take it. It's a '92 GT convertible and all the specifications (both online and in the owner's manuals) indicate that the tank can hold 15.9 gallons. So if I'm driving all highway miles (which this tank hasn't been, though the majority of it was), then theoretically, shouldn't I be able (this is a 5sfe) to get about 470 miles on the one tank?

D

Hooligan
07-01-2005, 05:06 PM
It is not a good idea to run an older tank dry. Sediment that makes its way through the gas and fill tube builds up on the bottom of the tank and you can get this crap in your fuel lines if you take it too low.

RickyNo
07-01-2005, 05:40 PM
:wtf:
What about the filter on the pump in the tank? :squint:

Disco Dan
07-01-2005, 07:07 PM
well yeah, I'm not saying I'd make a regular habit of it, but it'd be nice to know once and for all just how much gas this thing holds, since I've never run it dry before.

On a side note, if you ever change the fuel pump, don't do it inside the car on a rainy day with the windows up. Another one of life's lessons...

D

Doctor Jinxed
07-01-2005, 07:59 PM
do it! I'm curious too and dont wanna find out my self. lol

RickyNo
07-01-2005, 09:15 PM
Didn't need to smoke anything to feel the buzz that day? :laugh:

Disco Dan
07-01-2005, 11:30 PM
Didn't need to smoke anything to feel the buzz that day?

oh yeah. Had a bit of a headache afterwards though...

Anyway, I ran the car until I was afraid of it not running anymore. And I did that pretty much until it was unable to stay on. At 460.0 miles it started stuttering: when I'd push the gas, it would actually go slower, and I would have to put it in neutral, then quickly down-shift to fourth, let my foot off the clutch, and let the speed of the car revive the engine, until I got to the last stoplight. At this point I had to put on the hazards, because I was attempting to make a right turn, and unfortunately I caught the light on red behind several stopped cars. I might have been able to go a mile or a half-mile more had I had no stops, but once I had to stop, not even revving in neutral would keep the car on. Through several starts and stops, and a lot of jerks and bumps, I made it around the corner and coasted into the gas station where the car promptly died at the pump!

GRAND TOTAL:

Distance: 462.8 mi.
Gas pumped: 15.789 gal.
Calculated Fuel Economy: 29.311546013047058078409018937235 mi./gal.

And I only managed to squeeze that 15.789 into the tank by letting it settle about 10 different times and continuing to top it off until I could see the gas accumulating at the mouth of the tank and not receding anymore. At this point I capped it up and reset the trip meter. The only bad part about it was the embarassing stop light experience, since, with the top down, it's not just like "hey, look at that car that's having trouble" it's like "hey, look at that dork in his convertible that's having trouble!" The only problem I have with convertibles is that everyone gets to see exactly what the idiot who's driving looks like.

Anyway, it turns out the specs were right about the tank size, which astounds me. I could never get any more than 14.7 or 14.8 in the tank before. I'm quite pleased with this experiment, and I will repeat it once more when I take a trip that requires a stretch of at least 480 uninterrupted highway miles, since, this one only got 29 to the gallon, and had it been all highway, it could have easily been 30-32. The implications being that at highway speeds, I can travel 500 miles on one tank! This is impressive for a 13 year old sports car! Fun stuff.

D

locker
07-01-2005, 11:41 PM
Wow thats amazing gas mileage! I didn't know the celica had it in her... I average less than 450km to the tank.... :laugh:

Spooph
07-02-2005, 02:05 AM
Next time, just carry a can of gas with you when you start to get low... a full can I might add so as to minimize vapors and such..

Hooligan
07-02-2005, 03:29 AM
How many micron filter is the tank filter? The stuff I am talking about is very, very tiny.

Jigglypuff
07-02-2005, 03:31 AM
1 angstrom...

Hooligan
07-02-2005, 03:33 AM
1 angstrom...

:laugh:

I suspect few will get this...

RickyNo
07-02-2005, 04:18 AM
Thats way too big... 1/2 of one maybe but a full one? :slap:

:laugh:

rocketz5
07-02-2005, 04:22 AM
"empty" never really means empty lol

acidice333
07-02-2005, 04:58 AM
When u reach the empty mark, the rest of the gas left is your "reserve".

Disco Dan
07-02-2005, 05:10 AM
Yup, and I pretty much exhausted the reserve. Presumably, I had 0.111 gallons left in the tank when it finally sputtered to a halt. When the gauge hits E and the fuel light comes on, I've usually got at least 70-80 more miles on the tank. That puts the reserve at about 3 gallons. I passed so many gas stations thinking "hmm, maybe I should stop at this one... ok ok, I'm gonna try to make it to the next one" Pride will make us do stupid things, methinks... But I'm in a rapidly developing suburban area so gas stations aren't too far apart, which is both good and ugly. But yeah, I thought about the idea of bringing a gallon gas tank along, but by the time I thought about that I was cruising along on the last 0.3 gallons in the tank and was afraid to stop until it was absolutely necessary. Anyway, I gotta treat her well for a while so as not to overdo it. No experiments like that for a few days. I mean weeks.

D

Dr Tweak
07-02-2005, 05:33 AM
You know that your fuel pump is cooled by the fuel, so by running it dry, you put the pump through a lot of wear and tear. Just be ready to replace it :)

RickyNo
07-02-2005, 05:39 AM
Thanks, that's good to know. So it's just like big industrial pumps, internals wears out more easily when running dry.

MoralWarfare
07-02-2005, 07:59 AM
oh yeah. Had a bit of a headache afterwards though...

yeah dude. I did fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel tank, fuel pump and sender, and a few other fuel related things on a 528 last week. 6 hours of 10 year old fuel = ow my head.