PDA

View Full Version : celica on dirt track

cmcustom
06-29-2005, 06:50 PM
i'm building a 1991 celica stx to race at my local dirt track(4/10 mile high banked oval) . so far in my class i'm racing against mazda proteges and saturns. against all odds i'm sticking a 93 5sfe in my engine bay because the only engines rules will allow me to run is 4afe and 5sfe and i found a 5sfe complete engine for $450.00 with only 55,000 miles on it. how can i get the most juice out of it with out getting dq by tech?no internal mods allowed.has anyone had any luck racing in dirt?

cmcustom
06-29-2005, 06:58 PM
oh yeah. go fast and turn left!

Murgatroy
06-30-2005, 01:51 AM
I have dirt raced in Pintos... Never in a FWD car though.

slvrblt
06-30-2005, 02:09 AM
I know during the swap you will come across some wiring issues and will need different motor mounts to get the 5sfe in place of where your 4afe was.

If the rules allow you could get a header for the 5sfe from hotshot or genie. Also I assume the car is no longer going to be driven on the street, so you could remove the cat and do as little muffling of the exhaust as the rules allow.

RallyK
06-30-2005, 04:26 AM
Hey cmcustom! Welcome to CT!
I've been reading up on your posts on various forums. It seems the guys have given you some helpful advice on your swap. I agree with them. You're going to have to change your mounts and you'll run into some wiring problems. I would say the best thing would be to replace your 4afe with another 4afe. I know what your'e thinking - if you're going to replace the engine, you might as well upgrade. But keep in mind what you'll be gaining for the cost of blood sweat and tears.

but the swap is for another forum.

as for racing. you're talking about a dirt oval autoX? Sounds like a lot of fun. My concern for you will be the restrictions on modifications. Who is hosting the event? If it's some local track that is more lax about rules, you'll be ok. i know that the scca rules are that you can make NO INTERNAL MODIFICATIONS. as in, you can't even put on an intake or take out your seats. If you can get your hands on a rule book, that would be best so you can see what your limitations are.

I printed off the scca hand book for rallyx and went through it like 4 times with a highlighter.

You mentioned wanting to rip out your cat and do some manifold mods? I believe that is a big no no when it comes to "no internal modifications." check into it.

Hey update me, i really want to know where you go with this.

Luni
06-30-2005, 06:21 AM
Well dude, you got 2 issues here. 1 being you will be racing on dirt and you will want to set your car up for that. MrWOT probabally knows some good stuff about dirt.

As for your motor, getting more power out of the 5SFE, browse around, read the Naturally Aspirated forum, do some searches, go read the MR2 message board (MK2 NA MR2s have 5SFEs in them too)..

I think you could probabally get away with a head job, port, polish, and some cams perhaps. What I think needs to be done actually is to have the rules totally interpreted and posted so we will know what it is you can do and get away with and what to stay away from. I dont think we could really go too much farther without knowing what exactly it is they will let you do.

cmcustom
07-01-2005, 12:47 PM
thanks for the input, i have to run to work now but i will try and post the rules this evening.

cmcustom
07-01-2005, 10:31 PM
those rules are posted at www.deepsouthspeedway.com under rules forms. my class is "stinger". for anybody interested in watching some racing videos visit www.panhandleracing.com there are several deep south speedway races listed. what motor mounts will i need to mount my 5sfe or will i have to fabricate something.

fiveSFE
07-02-2005, 02:00 AM
wow u cant really do much at all in terms of modding

roman
07-02-2005, 07:36 AM
Looks like they won't let you swap in another engine so you're going to have to stick with another 4AFE. If you do want to drop in a 5SFE you'll probably have to convert everything else to GT-spec... I think back in '91 GT had drums in the rear so you don't have to worry about that, but they had 14" wheels. Not sure if STX had the same 13" wheels as ST or not. Other than that I don't think there were too many other changes that will be significant in here. Maybe the gear ratios were different, but I don't know. I don't think the track officials will even know unless you're participating at the nationals or something (if there is such a thing).

Basically since you can't really modify the car in any way, the only way you're going to make it quicker is to shed some weight. Strip the interior. Get the seats out, get all the carpeting out, any sound deadening material. Just make it like John's racer GT-S ;) Leave the dash in place since they do want that in there. They don't mention anything about exhaust so see if you can run an open exhaust. Take off any accessory belts that you won't use. Leave the Alternator and Water pump belts on obviously. No need to have the A/C or the P/S belt dragging you down. If you like P/S, keep it. If you don't, then ditch the belt and drain the fluid out of the system. If you don't drain the fluid the steering wheel will be a lot harder to turn. If you do drain the fluid, make sure you cap off any openings where hoses used to go so that dirt doesn't get in there. You can usea bolt or something and just thread it in.

cmcustom
07-02-2005, 01:37 PM
i spoke with tech and they will allow me to run the 5sfe. i think if the gearing is different in the stx that could be an advantage (bigger engine /lower gearing = more torque?) i've gotten some much different advice on exhaust some say to run a muffler because 4 cyl dohc needs a little back pressure and some say run it wide open with 2 1/2" pipe. rules allow it either way. seems to me that more important than power is suspension. will heating the springs in certain spots shift weight from side to side. for instance if my right front tire is bouncing alot would it be beneficial to heat left front spring to push a little weight around. another reason i really like the 5sfe better than the 4afe is the stock sway bar. i think that could be a factor. none of those vehicles i'm up against have a stock sway bar and if aint stock you can't run it. the rules really seem to be lax , a three time feature winner has gone through tech without p/s pump,ac comp., and a few other items that the rules state should be there.

RallyK
07-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Hum. It's not really fair for the rest of the competitors if one or two gets through with mods but the rest don't...

as for exhaust: this was a thread I made a while ago. It might help you out. http://celicatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5306&highlight=exhaust

cmcustom
07-02-2005, 08:27 PM
i read that a while back i was basing some of what i said on that. i guess maybe both sides are right not necessarily a muffler but also not too large a pipe.