PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know what this button does?

Stinger
12-12-2004, 04:11 AM
I have this button on the console near the gear shifter. Anyone know what it does?

Ive looked under it and it has wires connecting to somewhere so it must do something

http://www.celica5thgeneration.com/misc/stinger/temp/button.jpg

Any ideas:wiggle:

thanks

medivh66
12-12-2004, 05:21 AM
fog light switch

Stinger
12-12-2004, 05:36 AM
I thought it was that too, but there is another one just like that up buy the steering wheel.

just went out and tried it. Didnt seem to do anything to the fogs :hehe:

Slider
12-12-2004, 05:43 AM
The little symbol stands for fog lights. From the factory all hard top 5th gen had nothing in that place, the convertibles had a switch for lowering and raising the top I believe. So it's probably domething that the previous owner rigged up. Did you try tracing where the wires go?

Also how did you get your fog lights yellow like that? Is it a special bulb or did you cover the lens?

Stinger
12-12-2004, 06:04 AM
Those are the stock fog lights. Its a JDM 1992 facelift. Very rare in NZ

Ill try trace those wires and see where they go

thanks for the reply

convertiblechick
12-12-2004, 06:44 AM
rear window defroster??? I dont have a button like that cause my window is plastic

Stinger
12-12-2004, 06:49 AM
hmm could be. I cant test it though, its summer here :lolhittin Might have to wait until winter next year :laugh:

InitialD93
12-12-2004, 07:02 AM
ok that is the fog light rocker switch from a ST165... its probably just an extra the previous owner had that he used to rig up something.. what its wired to i have no idea

my factory alarm switch is in that place on the 185

roman
12-12-2004, 07:19 AM
That looks too good to be rigged up... Unless the previous owner was really good at cutting plastic and making it look factory.

david in germany
12-12-2004, 08:26 AM
That looks too good to be rigged up... Unless the previous owner was really good at cutting plastic and making it look factory.
Well, German cars are required to have a rear fog light but I have never seen how they are wired. Turn on your lights and then turn on the switch. If there is one bright tail light then that would be what it is. I think if that is not it they person that owned the car befor used the only original switch he could find to wire something extra up.
David

schmooot
12-12-2004, 08:35 AM
naw man thats a factory hole, you can see its got a bit of a countersink.

Pull that console and look at the wires, right away you should see whether its factory or somedudejimmyrigged.

Blackcloud
12-12-2004, 09:24 AM
its to your flux cappacitor

;)

TRDmkII
12-12-2004, 04:46 PM
hmm could be. I cant test it though, its summer here :lolhittin Might have to wait until winter next year :laugh:

you can too test it, if you have a test light, which costs like 3 dollars, hook it to a good ground turn on the switch and then hold your test light to one of the bars going across the rear window and see if the test light comes on at all.

suprPHREAK
12-12-2004, 05:51 PM
that space is factory...I have it on my 93 GTS. Its got a spacer in there to fill the hole, but it can be popped out. The rear defogger button should be right by your HVAC controls. Looks like a fog light, but who knows?

schmooot
12-12-2004, 06:03 PM
you can too test it, if you have a test light, which costs like 3 dollars, hook it to a good ground turn on the switch and then hold your test light to one of the bars going across the rear window and see if the test light comes on at all.
the voltage applied to the defrost switch is much too little to light the bulb on your test light because its spread out over all the bars. You have to jam the test light into the connector on the right side.

LoKi The Infidel
12-12-2004, 06:04 PM
oh a mystery!

maybe he jimmy rigged something that would keep his cig lighter *12v power* on when the car is turned off so he could charge his cellphone.

i did that in my celica, but without the switch, so it was on all the time.

i haven't done it in my heep yet, but if i do, i'll rig a switch for sure so i can get an electric cooler for camping and heater for winter.. damn jeep doesn't get or stay very warm.

TRDmkII
12-12-2004, 06:12 PM
the voltage applied to the defrost switch is much too little to light the bulb on your test light because its spread out over all the bars. You have to jam the test light into the connector on the right side.

no it does, i promise you...i do it at work all the time to make sure it works...yes the light is dim...and it dims as you go across but it will light up...

convertiblechick
12-12-2004, 07:50 PM
My up/down light is there.If I couldnt figure that out I'd need a tuneup :lolhittin

Playfortoday
12-12-2004, 08:21 PM
With all the bits of info tossed in by everyone, we solved it!

I was a little thrown off, until I saw you are from NZ(reverse layout).

Pardon my dust:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Playfortoday/IMG_1300.jpg

The recess there is for the 5th gen factory alarm switch(or convertible top if you have one of those). And that is a 165 fog switch, so you have a previous owner that probably took the blank plate out and got a little crafty. Now you just have to tell us where the wires go. Fun stuff!

Stinger
12-13-2004, 12:28 AM
:laugh: Found out what it does :laugh:

It stops the alarm/imobilisor from setting itself automatically when the car is turned off.

Thanks for all the replies :bowdown:

Stinger

Playfortoday
12-13-2004, 01:39 AM
So it does have the factory alarm, and the previous owner found a momentary switch by way of an st16x fog light switch rather than replacing it with the correct switch! Sweet.

ronin
12-13-2004, 08:57 AM
thats actually pretty shifty.. i like it.

good job on finding out what it does too.

david in germany
12-13-2004, 09:14 AM
thats actually pretty shifty.. i like it.

good job on finding out what it does too.
Ok, now that we figure it out... PLAY CLEAN YOUR CAR!

Playfortoday
12-13-2004, 02:25 PM
It is winter time, and that = "who gives a poop" about a clean car. But, yeah, I think I will clean it, because I had no idea it was that bad. I mean... I leve for work when it is dark, and I come home when it is dark, and the few times I drive during the day, it doesn't matter because I have the car tinted out, so it's dark in that mofo. :cool:

david in germany
12-13-2004, 02:54 PM
It is winter time, and that = "who gives a poop" about a clean car. But, yeah, I think I will clean it, because I had no idea it was that bad. I mean... I leve for work when it is dark, and I come home when it is dark, and the few times I drive during the day, it doesn't matter because I have the car tinted out, so it's dark in that mofo. :cool:
And dusty! :D

Blackcloud
12-13-2004, 04:52 PM
looks like you been smokin in your ride

Playfortoday
12-13-2004, 05:21 PM
HAHA. OK, so it is dust and ash. Last time I try to help you guys, LOL.

COLDAX
12-13-2004, 06:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v440/Playfortoday/IMG_1300.jpg

That spot on my 91 GTS is for the ECT button.