PDA

View Full Version : What tires are you using? How are they?

RickyNo
06-29-2005, 12:55 AM
Just so people know if someone already uses a tire you'd like and can provide infos about it. Asdd a critic if you feel like writing one. Maybe provide a link to the manufacturer's tire webpage.

I am currently running stock size Cooper Lifeliner Classic II (http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=Passenger&id=29&title=Passenger+Tires). The previous owner bought them. Very slow wear vs the grip they give. He used them for 1 summer, i have them on for the 3rd summer (april 15 to october 15), they might be good for another one. Good road comfort. The bad: S speed rating (180km/h) is low and i went up to 200 with them... danger? :slap:

UTQG: 520 A B

Sidewall/tires infos: http://www.coopertires.com/us/en/information/info-sidewall.asp

My verdict: good for a daily driver, no high-speeds, durable and not too expensive.

cosmic_sombrero
06-29-2005, 01:36 AM
I'm running 205/50/R16 Dunlop 9000SP's that came one the JDM OZ rims I bought off an importer for $300. Considering the tires were new and originally ran $150 each, I felt this was a good deal.

They're grippy as hell, corner really well, and sluice water excellently (I've never hydroplaned). Also, they're not to uncomfortable and aren't very noisy.
However, I find that they wear really fast (280 treadwear). After less than a year two are almost gone. They also have NO snow grip. Also, if you're into how the tire looks on a car. . . the tread pattern on them is awesome, but from the side they look REALLY ugly.

Verdict: Great performance tire, but expensive for their lifespan and kinda fugly.

roman
06-29-2005, 06:21 AM
I'm running Falken Azenis Sport RT215 (195/60R14 for my Miata).

Pros: Stickiest street tire out there, incredibly stiff sidewalls, $48/ea
Cons: I go through two sets each summer :hehe: And they're now discontinued :( Their replacement, the RT615, is more expensive.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_rt215.htm

I don't pay attention to treadwear ratings as each tire manufacturer has their own opinion on what rating to assign. A 280 rated tire from Falken can wear a lot faster than a 280 rated tire from Michelin or vice versa.

In the winter I always ran Bridgestone Blizzaks (WS-50 and LM-18). This winter will probably be Nokian Hakka RSi.

http://www.nokiantires.com/newsite/tires_popup.cfm?id=53&w=1

Roman

TEAMFaint
06-29-2005, 07:04 AM
Kumho Ecsta Supra 711 205/40/R17's on my 92 GTS. Love em. Perfect for daily driving around town, and don't take too much of a hit out of the pocket book. I think my next set of rubber is gonna be BF Good though. Heard they are really amazing handling tires. So when the rims get sold, on go BF's on the new rims :D

bloodredgt
06-29-2005, 07:21 AM
i'm running Kumho ECSTA SPTs 205/50/zr16. I've gotta say... these wore so fast, I want my money back. I got both on my car roughly 7 months ago and I can already see the outlines of the wires under the rubber coming out...

Pros: They grip pretty good during the summer and the tread looks cool.
Cons: They wore too fast (within 7 months), crappy wet traction, hydroplaned many times, contrary to what is said about them they're pretty noisy on the highway.

Verdict: Do not buy these tires... They are not worth 2 bills out of your wallet.

Galcobar
06-29-2005, 09:32 AM
Kumho Ecsta Supra 711 205/40/R17's on my 92 GTS.

Confused, I can only find Kumho Ecsta Supra and Kumho Ecsta 711 -- no Supra 711. Especially since the Ecsta 711 has a load rating of only 80 and fifth-gen Celica stock is 85. I could understand an ST or GT being able to use a lower load rating since they're lighter, but a GTS on an 80 seems...dangerous.

Then again, I'll admit I have no idea what the total max weight of a Celica GTS with all the options is -- which is probably where the 85 load rating come from.

RickyNo
06-29-2005, 04:04 PM
Anybody ever tried FAlken Azenis ST-115 (http://www.falkentire.com/tires_st115.htm) ?

I'd go with 215/40ZR17 of them but i'm not 100% sure. I had similar tires on my civic, but with one groove in the center, aqua-something, it gives damn good wet traction. I wonder how 2 grooves makes it feels, thats, why i'm not sure. Looks like much less contact surface, how can it affect the overall performances?

TEAMFaint
06-30-2005, 03:33 AM
Hmm well my GTS has all the options except for the automatic transmission, I havent noticed any problems with my tires and the tread life is still above 95%. What do you guys recommend for a little bit wider of a tire? I'm plannin on goin with 16 X 6.5-7 or 17 X 7.5-8 for my next set of rims.

Luis C
06-30-2005, 04:13 AM
Currently:
Front: Bridgestone Potenza RE71 (discontinued). Pros: Great tires, helluva grip in dry AND wet. Cons: FAR TOOOO EXPENSIVE, 160 treadwear dont make them last long.

Rear: Pirelli P6000: Pros: None Cons: All. They are biggest POS I could have on my car. Noisy as hell on highway (BF Goodrich All Terrain are quietter in comparison), no grip at all, compound is hard as hell. I'd stay away from Pirellis.

Used to have: Toyo T1-S Proxes: Pros: All, one helluva tire, madz grip on dry and wet (well over the Potenzas), 280 treadwear could easily pass the 60.000 Km mark. Cons: They are hard to find locally.

I've had two complete sets of T1-S Proxes and can affirm without holding back anything that these are the greates tires EVER. Unfortunatly I've been unemployed for the past 3 years (25% unemployment rate here) and the T1-S cost a pretty penny here but whenever I collect the money needed rest assured that I'll be buying them again.

roman
06-30-2005, 05:28 AM
I agree, the Toyo T1-S (now replaced by the T1-R) are awesome tires. Their grip isn't quite as good as the Azenis, but they're more comfortable on the road and they are incredible in the rain.

maroon_185
06-30-2005, 06:42 AM
yokohama avs es100 225/45/zr16, I love them, no problems in rain, cornering is good, tread ware isn't that great I think they are like 280 aa a

Adrian Avgerinos
06-30-2005, 03:04 PM
215/50/50 Dunlop SP5000

Pro:
Great street tire. Excellent treadwear, quiet, decent dry traction, great wet traction. Predictable handlind handling with soft breakaway point. Good price.

Con:
Overheats fairly easily. Gets greasy after 4-5 laps on the track. Not recommended for a street/track tire.

Plan to buy again? Yup, and purchase a set of dedicated track tires.

Snafu
06-30-2005, 06:25 PM
I'm running Falken Azenis Sport RT215 (195/60R14 for my Miata).

Pros: Stickiest street tire out there, incredibly stiff sidewalls, $48/ea
Cons: I go through two sets each summer :hehe: And they're now discontinued :( Their replacement, the RT615, is more expensive.

http://www.falkentire.com/tires_rt215.htm

I love those tires. Suck for winter, but for the summer they're awesome. I can pull some decent 60' with them too ;)

AznKlique
07-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Yokohama Paradas Spec II 205/40/17

These tires are quite loud, but I have to admit that the tires wear slow. I have had these tires on for about 3 summers (meaning march to october for me) and there is still plenty of tread left on them. THey are awesome in the rain too. Plus they are Z rated so thats a plus.

Mr E
07-17-2005, 12:46 AM
I agree, the Toyo T1-S (now replaced by the T1-R) are awesome tires. Their grip isn't quite as good as the Azenis, but they're more comfortable on the road and they are incredible in the rain.

I didn't like Toyos in wet actually. Much prefer Eagle F1s.

Not cheap.

COLDAX
07-18-2005, 06:54 PM
I currently have a set of Kumho Ecsta ASX 205/55/15 on my 1991 GT-S with stock rims. The stock size is 215/50/15 but there are not many choices in that size, and they are hard to find and expensive.

http://www.tirerack.com/images/tires/kumho/ku_ecsta_asx_ci2_l.jpg

These tires are touted by Kumho as "Ultra high performance all season" and I must say for year round tires they are the best I have ever had on this car, which I have driven since new and with about 6 different sets of tires (Bridgestone, Pirelli, Dunlop, etc).

They are spot on in the wet and never slip or lose confidence. Just amazing. I have driven at highway speeds in 2-5 inches of snow with no worries. They also grip well on ice, as good as can be expected from an all season.

They are V-rated, with a sidewall rating of 88V. The UTQG is 420 AA A and they weigh 20lbs each (in this size).

In the dry they stick very well and are predictable. They rollover slightly on tight turns, but that should be expected for an all season. On the highway in the dry they are again amazing. High speed lane changes are not a problem, they don't wander too bad, and they are not noisy. Very confidence inspiring. The tread looks good and meaty from the front/back and the side is more than acceptable.

I have over 25,000 miles on them in the last year and they have held up well. I am hoping to make through next winter or 40,000 and then replace.

They were only $66 each from tirerack.com.

I HIGHLY recommend these tires for people who don't use a summer/winter tire setup, and I will definately be buying them again. I spent many hours looking for tires last year and I am very happy to have found these.

ocb_dave_ocb
07-18-2005, 09:27 PM
i was using 215/45ZR17 Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's on my celica....They were great
Im using 225/70/15 Uniroyal Tiger Paw GTS on my tracker.. There not the best

SilverCel
07-18-2005, 09:28 PM
I have Eagle F1's D3's on my car. 215/40/17.

BEST TIRE EVER!

They're up there w/ the SP5000's I've owned.

the worst tire: Yoko AVS ES 100.

SUPER SOFT SIDEWALL!!

ray_sir_6
07-20-2005, 02:15 AM
Current Tires: 225/45/17 Falken Azenis Sport
Pros: GREAT GRIP and AWESOME CORNERING ability.
Cons: Treadlife, limited sizes ( I want 235/40/17 but they don't come in that size!!!)

Previous Tires: Yokohama YK420 205/60/14
Pros: Cheap, cheap, cheap
Cons: ZERO GRIP, ZERO CORNERING, wouldn't wish them on my worst enemy

Michelin XGT 205/60/14
Pros: Good grip, decent cornering (great considering the sidewall height)
Cons: Rut-riders! Big pain in the ass on the shitty roads of Louisianna, which is where I was when I had them.

Future Tires: 235/40/17 Toyo RA-1

roman
07-20-2005, 07:08 AM
Mmm, RA-1's. If they didn't have half the life span of the Azenis I wouldn't mind driving on those in the summer either ;)

GT4Dreams
07-25-2005, 05:55 AM
Celica: Stock 14" steelies with Kumho 732's 205/60/R14 all around. These Kumho's are a decent tire all around, they are grand touring all season. They are good in the dry, just don't try to make them do what they aren't meant to do. They are good in the snow also, and have a long tread life. They were very cheap, about $45 for each one.

Before I had these General Ameri-Te tires. They were all season, they lasted long but were horrible! (185/70/R14)

MR2: I am rolling on 16's in the front and 17's in the back. I have 205/45/16 in the front and 235/40/17's in the back. The tires I'm using are Hankook Ventus HRII's 405. They are a Hi-Performance Tire. They handle extremely well on the street in the dry, and pretty good in the wet. I know it's an MR2, but they take the corners with a lot of confidence. I have a full suspension set-up on the 2 (eibach pro-kits, tokico illumina struts, front/rear strut bars, custom underbrace links) and with me pushing the car on some sweeping curves and corners, they held up very, very well. They are M+S tires (mud and snow) but only for very, very light snow. It also has a very high treadware rating of 340. The fronts cost me $63 each and the rears were $75.

Before, I had some old Uniroyal Tiger Paws, they had a long tread life, and was a decent tire. But a lot of sidewall flex. (195/60/R14 & 205/60/R14)

GT4Dreams
07-25-2005, 06:00 AM
My g/f's Scion tC came stock with Bridgestone Potenza's RE92's on the stock 17's. They are 215/40/ZR17 and is a hi-performance all season tire. To be honest, it is a very good tire all around. They did well in the snow here in michigan, they do well in the dry, and have a good cornering feel. The downsides to them is the low-treadware rating and the price. I beleive these are over $100 a tire, you can do much, much better for that amount of money. But they came stock, I think Toyota/Scion made a good choice for a tire that would see a variety of needs.

lavy_gts
07-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Im have Khumo Exzta Supra's and there meh, I used to have Pirelli P7000's and they had an amazingly stiff sidewalls, but the tread life sucked. Little noisy, but way to expensive.