PDA

View Full Version : Engine Temp gauge acting weird

DK Squall
06-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Just the other day as I was driving to my friends house, I noticed my Engine Temp gauge starts rising up the the H-red level. That scared the crap outta me cause that's never happened before. I slowed down and turned on the heater to help get the heat out from the engine. After getting to my friends house and inspecting what could be the problem, its determined that I was sorta low on engine coolant. The oil was fine. So I get home and fill it up, but the Temp gauge is still acting up. Here's the process I go thru with it now:

Start off driving and the engine temp gauge levels off inbetween cold and hot..so pretty normal there. After another few minutes, the needle starts rising to the H-red line again, but after a minute, it levels off again. Sometimes when I accelerate, the needle will rise up again, but level off.

Somethings that are possible:

- a sensor is busted
- the Thermometer unit is on the fritz
- radiator and coolant needs to be flushed
- ...I dunno what else

I'm leaning towards the Thermometer unit being on the fritz is the problem.

If anyone has an idea what the problem could be, please help me out so I can get it fix before heading to the mechanics.

Thanks!

Luis C
06-28-2005, 09:53 PM
Thermostat is starting to act up.... replace it ASAP

Punisher
06-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Ya might as well replace the thermostat.. only a few bucks in like 30 minutes of work tops..

WHen u get the old one out.. don't just chuck it.. tie it up with some string or fishing line and put some hot water on the stove to test it.. if u need further instructions with it on how to test it let us know.

Reason I'm tellin u to do that is to make sure that the old thermostat was FUBAR and it isn't something else.

deinfinity_x
06-28-2005, 10:35 PM
I had the same thing happen to my car, the temp would rise then fall back to normal, and i would be constantly out of coolant. Turns out it was the water pump that needed to be replaced. It was a horrible mess. Quite difficult to get the very last bolt off but i am glad i did. Fixed everything.

DK Squall
06-28-2005, 11:43 PM
ok, thanks for the feed back guys! I'll be sure to replace my Thermostat ASAP. How long would be too not go and replace it? Reason why is cause I'd have ta wait for my next paycheck to replace it cause I dun have the funds at the moment to do so.

Punisher
06-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Um a thermostat costs 4 dollars...

Luis C
06-29-2005, 12:24 AM
T-stat could stop working in a month or in the next few hours, it could be anybodys guess. I went about with a faulty one for about 5 weeks until I sent the car to the shop to have some other stuff done... it could have just popped that same day or maybe 2 more weeks.

Bottom line is: dont risk an engine over a $20 POS part

Punisher
06-29-2005, 01:42 AM
Don't even 20 dollars unless u wanna go with a fancy name.. like prestone makes one..

But one made by Stant (good brand) is 10 dollars at advance or autozone.

DK Squall
06-29-2005, 07:53 AM
lol ahh I see, thanks for the info guys!! You've all helped alot! I'll get it replaced ASAP!