PDA

View Full Version : Import vs Domestic

RallyK
06-28-2005, 04:57 AM
I just went to a great drag. 99.9% of the cars were domestic big blocks. Those things can HAUL. But how do imports stack up to them? Could we (import owners) give these domestic, tire melting, fire breathing, 10-12 second cars a run for their money? Or are we getting :owned: by our own car and $$?
Will it cost us twice as much to make a 10-12 second car than it will cost them?
Is it just a fact that these big block engine cars are made for drag and imports are not?
What are your thoughts because I'm getting very discouraged. :(

Hooligan
06-28-2005, 05:03 AM
There is more to life than drag racing. If you want to go fast in a straight line for cheap, 350 + bolt ons will probably make you happy.

If you want to go fast in the twisties for cheap, a lighter car with stickier tires and uprated suspension will get the trick done better.

(in my opinion, of course)

GT4SOM
06-28-2005, 05:05 AM
Dude domestics don't have jack. Ofcoarse my opinion is biased :D But anywho I personally don't think they are that great. I prefer the imports because they have more overall performance and would definately be more reliable. Domestics just have it easier because all their aftermarket mods are so much cheaper. I don't really know where you're from but here in florida you will see alot of imports running at the track and putting up respectable figures.

smoothtuner
06-28-2005, 05:08 AM
First...it is easier and cheaper to make big power with a V8 domestic just based on sheer size alone. Displacement does go a long way.

Second...yes, you can make quick imports but it requires a hell of a lot more work and tuning than just throwing in a 454. This civic (http://turbomagazine.com/features/0507_turbo_ek/) makes 600+hp and 400+tq. I would say its a probably a curve. Initially it is a hell of a lot easier to make a quicker v8 domestic...but as you start pushing lower slip times...the time and money starts to even out.

Third: You can't compare modified (even slightly) drag cars to a stock import. Few cars come off the production line running very high numbers...If you want a drag car, you have to build a drag...domestic or import or martian

Fourth: What are you getting discouraged about? Your own car? The import vs domestic BS competition in general? Different strokes for different folks....its like trying to determine the best music genre.

BTW: Were you at Oxford? Im from Maine, out in Ohio for school right now....I used to run my SS up at oxford every now and then.

RallyK
06-28-2005, 05:43 AM
Yeah I was showing at Oxford. I was there at 4am in line. My friends dragged. They always give me crap about owning an import. I know there's more than just drag. I'm more interested in rally anyway. but drag would be fun and i'd like to smoke some of those insanely fast domestic heaps of metal (whose owners are a bunch of hicks who hate "jap-crap") I'LL SHOW THEM!
My plan is to get a 94 gt. Do intake, headers and exhaust to see where that gets me. Strip all interior and any items that can be shit-canned. Then consider doing turbo, intercooler, and fuel injectors. It's a $$ issue as usual.
My friend said that there will be problems with the engine if you get rid of the AC compressor and heat. wtf? where did he get that from? He said something about belts not matching up properly.. ok.. so make some mods, right? I'd rather lose that weight. He also said that having heat helps cool down your engine.. LOL that's perhaps the most rediculous form of cooling your engine that i've ever heard.

smoothtuner
06-28-2005, 05:56 AM
Honestly...unless you are obsessed with Celicas and I know I'll catch flack for this...there are better platforms to start with in the import world that have better aftermarket support. But...I like the sleeper method anyways and the 3sgte swap is well researched and ready.

Its always a $$ issue.

Removing accesories can be done...I just got my celica a few weeks ago, so im not too familar with it. Im sure its running a serpentine setup which is why your friend was talking about belts...you should be able to find a shorter belt though. As far as the heat system...technically the coolant running through the heater core does shed some heat but not much thats for sure. On very hot days people have been none to turn on their heaters to help stop their car from overheating in traffic (wouldnt have that problem in Maine tho ;) )

Don't knock us domestic guys ;) some of us see the good on both sides of the fence :-P

MrWOT
06-28-2005, 06:04 AM
More cylinders with the same power level also usually means more accurate fueling. It's much easier to have a streetable 400hp 3L V8 then a 400hp 3L I4

RallyK
06-28-2005, 06:09 AM
What do you mean by "streetable"??

RallyK
06-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Smoothtuner:
I definitely don't knock on domestics (unless i'm kinda frustrated, like right now).
(OT, what part of maine are you from?)

This is what i'm asking, in a sense. Is the celica a good platform to work from. Why and why not?

RallyK
06-28-2005, 06:14 AM
The body isn't as heavy as exclipses or talons for example, but not as light as CRXs or Civics.

MrWOT
06-28-2005, 06:18 AM
Fuel economy, emissions, idle etc. It's much easier to fine tune with smaller injectors.

RallyK
06-28-2005, 06:57 AM
"Fine tuning" like dyno tuning? that's super $$ after a while.
But can a "little" fine tuning product mucho HP?
I'm not interested in fuel economy, emissions and such. I don't care if my car is completely illegal. I'll have a daily driver. I want to gut the whole thing anyway.
Basically, I want to use the celica as a platform but I need to know if it's going to be worth it. I guess you can do anything with time and money, but would a 3sgte swap be enough? what about the weight? Maybe I should go as far as the lexus v8 swap...?

Edicius
06-28-2005, 07:01 AM
i really don't understand why domestic owners are such tools to import drivers. i know they all aren't, but a good number of them are. i really don't see why they think their cars are all that great. yea its fast, with that many cubic inches of displacement, and that many cylinders, i would hope it is.

everyone talks about mustangs being so great. yea they're nice cars, but look at the numbers.

2005 mustang base 4.0L V6 210 hp

is that necessary? i know its not their performance model, but that's pathetic. an rsx-s makes 210 hp with half the displacement and 2 less clyinders.

what about the old 5.0's? they only made 215-240hp. an s2000 makes 240hp on 2.2 L. they did it on a 2.0.

and what about the svt? 390 hp. from a 4.6 v8 AND a supercharger.

supra - 320 hp 3.0 tt i6
sti - 300 hp 2.5 t h4
eclipse - 263 hp 3.8 v6
evo 8 - 276 hp 2.0t i4
300 zx - 300 hp 3.0 tt v6
vr4 - 300 hp 3.0 tt v6
m3 - 333 hp 3.2 i6
350z - 287 hp 3.5 v6
se-r - 260 hp 3.5 v6
accord hybrid - 255 hp 3.0 v6
any porsche

the list goes on and on.

RickyNo
06-28-2005, 04:02 PM
It's again only a male matter of "I have the biggest one"... :hehe:

They like Domestic cuz parts are cheaper i guess. They are too cheap to buy imports and the parts and don't have the knowledge to work on electronic stuff.

:saythat:
/0.02

MrWOT
06-28-2005, 04:43 PM
That's because the 5.0s make their peak power at a low rpm, look at the torque curve though. Remember that hp=tq X rpm / 5252, so under 5252 rpm torque reigns supreme.

I've gone both routes and from personal experience, it's far easier and safer (in terms of detonation) to make power on more cylinders because you don't have to have as high of pressure in each cylinder and you don't have to rev it as high because you have twice as many power strokes each revolution of the crank. It's just math. That being said, I doubt I'll ever go back to a V8. Too hard to mount a V8 transverse for AWD :hehe:

Murgatroy
06-28-2005, 04:46 PM
You guys are all missing the real reason a V8 will leave you sitting at a light.

Torque.

And it makes it at a much lower RPM than a I4 or I/V6.

I grew up on domestics, Yes I will take Chaos over my current Mustang in the twisties any day of the week. But Chaos would not touch The Mistress in the 1/4 mile with an 1/8 mile headstart. In real world driving a 4 cylinder car is ideal. Great Gas mileage and better handling. But anyone that sits here and tells me there is a better power potential out of a I4 over a V8 needs to think about that for a moment. You can take and pour $10k into a Honda Civic and get a 400whp car that can run 10s. Maybe. You can take that same $10k and drop it into a Fox Chassis Mustang and you are looking at about 900 whp and a car that if you can work the traction issues out, will run 8s. That is power potential. It is just a fact.

That of course is if you are looking at drag racing and only drag racing. If that was my only concern I would still be running rusted out second gen F Bodies (Camaros and Firebirds) with SBCs. However there is more to driving that just that. And I personally find it more challenging to squeeze power out of a 4 banger AND still get great fuel economy. I drove a 10 second `76 Camaro as a DD for a while after my divorce. Yeah 3 MPG is not the shit. Chaos and her 30 MPG is. Once you get into the twisties it is even more important to have a usable powerband and a better wieght balance. Something that is better in Chaos than in the Mistress. Yeah, I can slam second and 'drift' and still come out at about the same speed and look marvelous doing it. But grip>drift. Chaos can grip. She can ride it like a freaking rollercoaster. I am willing to say she won't ever be a red light racer. As a matter of fact I laugh at the idiots that pull up next to me dropping revs. I just watch them get stupid. Racing is for the track (grats RallyK for making that clear that that was where you were!!)

This argument however is old and done a thousand times. Domestic V8s have been going fast in straight lines for a lot longer than Imports have been. Lots and lots of money has been spent in R&D to make them go faster in straight lines. Imports however have been going through the twisty turnies longer and faster. They have spent equal amounts of money to get there.

But yes, if you want to go fast in a straight line, you ARE NOT going to beat a Domestic V8 for the money.

Wanna buy a Mustang?

EDIT :hehe: Mr WOT beat me to it.

smoothtuner
06-28-2005, 08:36 PM
OT Rallyk: Born in portland, grew up in sopo and graduated from windham

I'm not going to comment further on this thread as its going to get flamey :-P

Luni
06-28-2005, 09:08 PM
Murgatroy got it all.

Liter for Liter, dollar for dollar, unless the import has the same size motor, that import is not going to be able to make more power and be faster than the domestic.

I guess it comes down to power to weight ratio. Of course theres those civics that are really quick, the CRXs that are really light and quick, but after its all been gutted and theyve been prepped, theres nothing else you can do with them but go fast in a straight line. And even then, they arent breaking down into the 6s and 7s.. theyre mostly running 8s and 9s. Bottom line is domestics own the drag series in America. And even japs fiend for our hellshly big motors over there. In Japan Corvettes and Vipers are highly sought after like Skylines and Supras are over here. Grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

RallyK, if you want to have a car that has awesome drag potential, and still handles really well, look at a Pontiac Fiero with a Cadillac Northstar V8 in it thats got a turbo.

Not much in the import community can touch a 2600-2700 lb mid engined 400+hp V8.

Or you could always pay bill strong a grip and have him swap one into a MK1 MR2.

Murgatroy
06-28-2005, 10:44 PM
Murgatroy got it all.

Or you could always pay bill strong a grip and have him swap one into a MK1 MR2.
Thanks, I always knew those years of wasting gas and smoking tires would pay off. :hehe:

And the MR2... Ooh I wet myself...

I had a friend with a Northstar swapped Fiero. I think we discussed this before at C.net in the Fiero vs Mk1 MR2. Those cars are nothing but god awful fear inducing beasts. I used to play with him all the time, I grew up in the backwoods of Tennessee (think Duke boys shit) and the only way I ever found to get in front of that car was gravel. It couldn't take gravel, once the ass kicked it was over and you HAD to stay off the gas. I used to have a 5.0 Cougar, now that was a gravel loving sombish. But straight line or curve you could not touch that bastardized Fiero. It was only a 12 second car, it was a factory Northstar, no mods. He wound up blowing it to pieces when he got a rabbit caught in the front air ducts...

Unfortunately with the Fiero or the Duece you run into the dilema of it being cost prohibitive. In the same amount of money you could buy a Fox Chassis and have it in the 8s. Albeit it will not handle or be as unique as the aforementioned.

In the drag racing $=Speed. If you want to compete you have to choose a good platform. Unless you have uber deep pockets there are only two cars (not counting classic, please don't cut up another Chevelle or Nova to dip it into the 9s... :shudder: ) to choose from. Mustangs or Camaros. These cars are to drag racing what Civics are to Import Car shows. I am willing to lay the title to all three of my cars and my bike that you will not break new ground with one of them. That however is a good thing. That means the suspension settings are common knowlege, you won't have to spend a year of weekends just to get your rear dialed to grip. The engine combos are textbook. It all comes down to how much you want to pay and how fast you want to go. Think of it as a trip to Six Flags. Yeah, everyone else will be on the same ride, but god, doens't it feel good to know that you are flying and you next breath could be your last? That is what drag racing is all about. How damn far you can push it. :D

But you have to ask yourself, what do you want to do? Go fast in a straight line, OR have a car that can do a little bit of it all? That is why I have my Mustang and my big block Mopar beast as well as Chaos.

With a Celica you have chosen a great economy car that has potential to be a Pro Touring Cruiser, a Drop Dead Show Car, an AutoX Beast, and a kitten at the strip. Shy of an engine swap and more money than you would spend for a new car, you are not going to touch a domestic V8 (built) at the strip. I am sorry.

RickyNo
06-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Ok, i see i talked little too fast without thinking very long... :rolleyes:

Blackcloud
06-28-2005, 11:18 PM
Diesel truck + mods = gonna slap imports around all day long.

oh. and then you can go off road. I know my truck slaps imports around, i even toasted a GTP

Murgatroy
06-28-2005, 11:43 PM
Ok, i see i talked little too fast without thinking very long... :rolleyes:
I understand where you are coming from, and I will agree. The size and power ratio of an import is astounding. You can get 200 horses all day long from a 2 litre engine. But the cylinder pressure from making 400 horses out of that is going to be double what it would be for 400 horses out of a 4.0 V8. The tecnology however is a damper in drag racing. Most of the electronics come off an engine once it starts making passes down the strip. Even in the import specific scene they are stripped to the bar bones. Yes a fuel injected engine will make more power and be more controllable than a carbuerated engine, but that means more parts to break and a more difficult time tuning it. The reason I got into racing domestics was simple. I grew up in East Tennessee. In the sticks. If it didn't have Blue Oval or a Bowtie, you didn't touch it. It was too expesive to work on, to hard to tune, and OMG it had a computer in it. 20 years later and a degree in Electronics Engineering I am not scared to get under the hood of an import. But they are still more expensive to work on. I would much rather have a car that a $20 Autozone alternator will work on so I can spend the $120 on a new aluminum intake. And yes, it is a matter of who has the bigger engine. There IS no replacement for displacement. That is not just an mantra it is a fact. When Twin Turbo LS1 powered F-Bodies are turning in 8 second timeslips, I am sorry but no matter how big a four cylinder you shove in your CRX with the biggest snail you can fit on the end of the headpipe you are not going to be able to compete.

I am not saying all this to spark an argument, I welcome discussion. I am not trying to act like I am a know it all either. But I am coming from many years of extensive experience in the domestic drag racing scene. There is no comparison.

blue_pill85
06-29-2005, 01:33 AM
all the bagging on domestics, I wrote a ton of stuff but then I decided to sum it up in one statement. D1 :owned: by domestics. Even when you bring the import racing rear wheel drive big motor still kickin ass and for less loot. more displacement over more cylinders= more power plain and simple. but if you raced with one gallon of gas in each vehicle the import kills it! :givafuck:

:wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle: :wiggle:

RallyK
06-29-2005, 03:53 AM
Would an ideal (import) drag car be an mr2 with a 4.0 V8 (if it was possible?)
It's light, It's RWD, if it had a mad huge engine, it would be everything, no?
Discuss.

fiveSFE
06-29-2005, 05:27 AM
dsm>v8's :)

Snafu
06-29-2005, 05:46 AM
Stop this shit. I hate these bullshit arguments about what is better.

Everybody knows that it's all personal opinions. I have seen Honda Civics outrun LS1's and I've seen Mustangs out handle RX7's in an auto cross course.

If it's fast, it's fast, so deal with it. None of this shit about what is better, because let's face it, better doesn't mean the same to everybody.

Edit: That's why my next project is a 302 powered RX7 ;)

Blackcloud
06-29-2005, 06:33 AM
I have seen Honda Civics outrun LS1's and

but then your still just driving a civic....

vette = alot more pussy

TEAMFaint
06-29-2005, 07:10 AM
In my opinion, there are sooo many more imports that can smoke a domestic. I know we've all heard it but the GTR RB32 will smoke anything if its heavily modified as opposed to a 350 + bolt on parts. Or how about the RX7? A guy in our car club has a 93, its absolutely tuned to the nuts. He can smoke everything in town on the track. God I love twin turbo's :cool:

P.S. PC your my hero

Luni
06-29-2005, 07:44 AM
Some of you guys are just not getting it.

I dont mean to be a dick but I dont care what who has where.

If youre at a track and you have a guy with the most shit done to a 5 liter V8 going up against a guy with the most shit done to a 2 liter I4, the 4 will get its ass handed to it every fuckin time. No way around it.

People can sit and talk about turbos and all this bullshit we can do to our cars (and lets face it guys thats all we have in the import scene, that and our weight), but you can turbo or supercharge a V8, you can do weight reduction on it, and as I told RallyK you can even take a lightweight import and put a V8 in it, or take a lightweight domestic and put a V8 in it.

Its also about torque curve which the v8 is going to have on the 4 banger every time so no matter what, if youre racing a 9000 rpm honda with 500 hp and youre racing a 6000 rpm V8 with 500hp the V8 is going to make WAY more power under the curve which is where it matters, its going to get him through his gears faster, and hes going to most likely win the race hp for hp.

Now this is a generalization because there arent alot of larger displacement imports. Its not import vs domestic in my book. Its size vs size. And since domestics have the bastardized pedigree of having larger displacement motors, this stereotypical conversation comes up every time.

Its all about VE and the larger engine that can move more air is going to have a higher VE. Period. Its physics, you cant argue it, I dont give a shit what guy in what town has what import with what motor, if theres another guy in the same town with a similiar weight aspect and a larger engine with the same mods, he is going to have a better VE and that right there is going to get him into motion faster. Bottom line. These topics are good as long as people understand what it is we are actually comparing here. Build quality isnt an issue in the speed topic of domestic vs import. Neither is sticker price. Its all about who can make the most power with a given set of mods, and Im sorry guys, but the stereotypical import tuned to the nuts vs the stereotypical domestic tuned to the nuts is going to lose. Bottom line.

Hey Jason tell your buddy to bring his shit down to SLC.

I guarantee theres a shitload of imports and domestics alike that would hand his ass to him.

Hell Id like to take a stab at it in Travs Talon.

Blackcloud
06-29-2005, 01:05 PM
We might be coming there on sat.

Im not sure if we gonna take the diesel tho. Prob gonna take the subaru due to gas prices

nuclearhappines
06-29-2005, 01:29 PM
not far

why aren't you comparing the != I4... and that's where the magazines mostly fail

Supra, VR4, 300Zx, 350Zx vs a V6 Domestic I'd have my money on the import
Have you seen the V8 in the older infiniti Q45s. They had a 90mm TB if that gives you an idea about fire breathing... it made 450hp and pushed a fully plush heavy sedan 0-60 in sub 6 seconds...

Nissan did not release that motor in a 450z though ... because it is wasteful.

Like they said up above, for most real world users the most you need is a good I4. If you carry around alot of people and stuff , then a good V6 is enough.

An S600 mercedes benz, on drag radials, with 100LL gas in it, and EVERYTHING ELSE COMPLETELY STOCK runs an 11.3 second 1/4 mile.

That is still an import. Of course it's a V12... but it's an import none the less.

The vr4 is an import. V6, TT, AWD... runs mid 13s stock. 1000 dollars in mods and it runs mid 12s.... a 50 shot of nitrous on top of that and it runs high 11s.

That's not slow.

A celica runs 16s-17s stock. If you go 5sfte and do it right you may get down to mid 13s if you're lucky... A mustang GT with i/h/e will run around that time and it will be more reliable than your 5sfte setup or your swap (how many motors has clayton gone through) ?

Then again a Civic Si i/h/e/75 shot can run mid 13s as well consistently if you know how to drive.

I dunno this can go one forever....

DSM's rock. especially now that they have an easy simple 2.4l stroker

If you want to run 10s in a street celica you will just burn through a ton of cash.

A 1993 mr2 with i/h/e/100 shot progressive/jacobs mastermind ran a 13.7 consistently.. that's a very quick time...

but a bolt ons LS1 (i/h/e) with a good driver can get you in the 11s.... then he can slap in a cam for another 30hp and a 150-250 shot of nitrous on his stock bottom end and end up running 10s.

You can get an F body for 5000 dollars. 1000 in mods... 1000 in nitrous ... 400 in cam and there's your 10s.

You can't do it in a celica for that kind of money.... you're just dreaming....

nuclearhappines
06-29-2005, 01:40 PM
good buildups

v6 F-Body supercharged
V8 F-body i/h/e/spray
Vr4,Supra,300Zx BPU + 50 shot will get you anywhere from low 12s to high 10s
Stock skyline ... runs low 13s high 12s.
11 second DSM's are a dime a dozen
Bolt ons C5 vette and gummy tires = 11s? maybe high 10s?
BPU cobra (ford lightning cran pulley, intake, header ,exhaust, slicks) will run 11/10 1/4 mile
540 rwhp 5sfte mr2 ran a 10.8 et (mike colon's car...you can google him)
BPU MR2 = low 13s... BPU + turbo upgrade will get you in the 12s. Throw on a small shot of n2o and you're close to 11s.
Stock Porsche 911 (996) will run off an 11.3-11.5 et
Maxima + stillen supercharger (350 front wheel hp) + stillen headers, 3" catback , 80 shot will get you some rediculous times from a sedan
Fox body, 5.0 180hp stock. New heads, bolt ons, 250-350 shot of nitrous, slicks = 10s

Acura RSX-S+ 100 shot of n2o (they did this alot before the greddy turbo kit came out... ) instant low 13s car

lost of ways of going fast in a straight line.... FI + small shot, or HUGE BOOST, or NA + massive shot is usually what gets you there.

If you want to do it all motor you're either gonna gut the heck out of the car (there's an 11 second d16 car out there, all motor). Or you're going to go with a 6.0l built motor to do it

If you want to talk more about getting a 1994 GT into the 12s/11s/10s post up a new thread in FI and we can talk about specific setups for you.

-nuke

Luni
06-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Thats great Jason.. I work on saturday.

I get off at 6 tho, we can do something that evening.

Snafu
06-29-2005, 05:11 PM
In my opinion, there are sooo many more imports that can smoke a domestic. I know we've all heard it but the GTR RB32 will smoke anything if its heavily modified as opposed to a 350 + bolt on parts. Or how about the RX7? A guy in our car club has a 93, its absolutely tuned to the nuts. He can smoke everything in town on the track. God I love twin turbo's :cool:

P.S. PC your my hero

You're a tard. A GTR RB32? uh huh, and there's a ton of those running around...

A TT rx7 is nothing. That is pussy shit once you start stepping up with the big dogs. There are so many more domestic guys running high horsepower, reliable, NA setups than there are high horsepower, reliable rx7's.

MrWOT
06-29-2005, 05:25 PM
Simmer down, this is a discussion, not a flame war.

bloodredgt
06-29-2005, 06:24 PM
I'm sorry to say, but I like imports more than domestics. Over all imports are just more appealing to me. I hate the low quality and ugly looking plastic interiors that domestics have... it's just horrible IMO. You'll never be able to see a domestic run a 9 second 1/4 mile, then just drive home without being a trailer queen. I love how you could just run low boost and drive home after running a 9 second 1/4 in a mkiv supra.

But i give domestics the props they deserve. Domestics are FAST. 03 Cobras can lay down 390whp with the simple swap of the supercharger pulley. I love how V8s sound at WOT.

Highway racing is more appealing to me. Being able to just line up with another car and go over 100mph on the highway is more fun (i'm not saying safer) to me. Maybe it's because I love supras so darn much.

Luni
06-29-2005, 07:24 PM
I'm sorry to say, but I like imports more than domestics. Over all imports are just more appealing to me. I hate the low quality and ugly looking plastic interiors that domestics have... it's just horrible IMO. You'll never be able to see a domestic run a 9 second 1/4 mile, then just drive home without being a trailer queen. I love how you could just run low boost and drive home after running a 9 second 1/4 in a mkiv supra.

But i give domestics the props they deserve. Domestics are FAST. 03 Cobras can lay down 390whp with the simple swap of the supercharger pulley. I love how V8s sound at WOT.

Highway racing is more appealing to me. Being able to just line up with another car and go over 100mph on the highway is more fun (i'm not saying safer) to me. Maybe it's because I love supras so darn much.

You didnt read a word I said did you?

There are plenty of Daily Driven F bodies and Mustangs that can hit 9s and then drive home on them. I mean I love supras and imports dont get me wrong, Im not a domestic lover, Im just being realistic here. Everyone is using personal experience like theyve seen it all.

Such is not the case. Theres lots of domestic daily drivers that can do 9s.

Murgatroy
06-29-2005, 08:20 PM
Hehe I love it. The point was she wanted to know a good platform to fo fast in a straight line. The Celica was not it. I am pretty sure she gets that now. The Celica however makes up for it in many other aspects. Now she just needs to decide what it smore important to her.

As for all of you spouting off about Skylines and Supras and RX7s, yeah, these are nice fast cars. But I tell you what. Go out and find me one for under $2500. Wha? I gave $1800 for a Fox Chassis. I have $200 for a 302 and $500 for a set of Hoosiers on Welds. That is $2500 for a car that has an ultimate start a hop skip and a jump ahead of a $15-$20k Supra.

We are talking about $=Speed here. And to get a good ratio we want the lowest $ amount with the highest trap speed.

A V8 will make the torque out of the box without any added forced induction. I will admit that there are some fast imports out there, from Ferrraris to Nissans. But here in North America if you want to go fast, get soemthing built here. There are knowlegeable ppl that can help you work on it on every street corner. You don't have to have parts shipped from over seas, asn after you smack it into a wall at 100mph, you can go the the junkyard and pick up the body panels you need to get it bakc on the track in a week.

Dollar for Dollar you will have more fun at the drag strip with a domestic. This does not mean that domestics are better than imports. DO NOT READ THAT INTO THIS THREAD. I will take Chaos against a 10 second Mustang on a mountain road in an instant. Every car has a purpose. To be honest I would like a Beemer. I think of that as the Ultimate Driving Machine. But since there is no way in hell I cab afford a Beemer and modify it, I will just make Chaos better.

Murgatroy
06-29-2005, 08:23 PM
You'll never be able to see a domestic run a 9 second 1/4 mile, then just drive home without being a trailer queen.
That was the most ignorant statement I have seen in this thread. I drove a 10 second car as my DD.

Snafu
06-30-2005, 12:43 AM
That was the most ignorant statement I have seen in this thread. I drove a 10 second car as my DD.

I drove in one last night to be exact ;)

I think you have to reverse that statement. I don't think you will see very many 10 second imports drive home after a race. Very few Supras and such can, but not many.

TEAMFaint
06-30-2005, 01:00 AM
Snafu, its honestly not that uncommon to see a new GTR in the US OR in Canada even WITH the 15 year old rule. At the SCN in Calgary this year, there was a GTR that was imported that was not even close to 15 years old.

http://www.pbase.com/image/44673770/original.jpg

http://www.portscan.ca/blog/archives/bwog050612.jpg

http://www3.telus.net/mdeleon/pictures/cars/scncalg/r34001.jpg

Its not that difficult to get one of these in. If you have the $$ its possible.
Notice the no licence plate? Take a wild guess why it doesnt have one...

Murgatroy
06-30-2005, 01:43 AM
I have never seen a Skyline in person. I have seen lots of cars, but never a Skyline.

TEAMFaint
06-30-2005, 02:29 AM
I have to admit, they are incredible machines. But I dont think I'd ever want to own one, too expensive to maintain + the risk of gettin em shipped here and not being satisified with whats in the truck. A few people town have imported one, they are pretty much junk, its cause they at GTS' an not GTR's (:

RallyK
06-30-2005, 03:24 AM
I'm just reading all of the posts and taking it all in.
It seems like it opens a whole can of worms. I need to make new threads that are more specific.

fiveSFE
06-30-2005, 04:53 AM
I drove in one last night to be exact ;)

I think you have to reverse that statement. I don't think you will see very many 10 second imports drive home after a race. Very few Supras and such can, but not many.

Here in tucson most of the import cars that are running 10 and under are DD's, and there are quite a few guys out here with sub 12 second dsm's that are dd, so im just saying there cna be fast import daily drivers also, and from what ive seen here in town all the fast doemestic guys all have newer cobra's camaro's and firebirds which all cost quite a bit. and the people with older cars arent as fast.

RallyK
06-30-2005, 04:59 AM
Well i'm not looking for a race car that can be a dd as well. infact, i'm planning on the opposite. I already have a dd. I want to gut out a race car and modify to make good numbers. not sure how far I want to go... or how much $$... we shall see.

I'd really like to use the celica as a platform even though it is not recommended. I'll look into it further. I definitely want to hear more about it and if it seems impossible, I won't do it but I just think it would be fun "oh come on, you think you're going to make good time in a CELICA?!" *vroom* hehe.

Everything is up for debate!

RickyNo
06-30-2005, 05:07 AM
Snafu, its honestly not that uncommon to see a new GTR in the US OR in Canada even WITH the 15 year old rule. At the SCN in Calgary this year, there was a GTR that was imported that was not even close to 15 years old.

The 15 year old rule is only for cars that don't meet the crash safety requirements. A newer car, which meets them, but is not originally for sale in Canada, can still be imported and put on the road. :yes:

RallyK
06-30-2005, 05:41 AM
HEY go check out my new thread under "dragracing"

d1alltrac
07-01-2005, 11:26 PM
i agree with most of the posts above,personally i hate domestics but as much as i hate to say it there is no replacement for displacement...and FI is not the answer cause you can FI a larger motor and there you go back where you started.

To be honest I would like a Beemer. I think of that as the Ultimate Driving Machine. But since there is no way in hell I cab afford a Beemer and modify it, I will just make Chaos better.

FYI...its bimmer not beemer, no offense or anything :bigthumbu

Murgatroy
12-17-2005, 02:59 PM
Bump. :hehe:

This was a fun thread, why did it die?

I am so evil.

hobbie2k
12-17-2005, 09:53 PM
Wow...I don't even remember this thread...how long ago was it?

Morwan
12-17-2005, 10:25 PM

Because there isn't a real debate? As long as you can put it to the ground, displacement > all in drag racing.

hobbie2k
12-18-2005, 11:24 PM
Because there isn't a real debate? As long as you can put it to the ground, displacement > all in drag racing.

Bah! Who needs displacement when you've got NAWS, a Shogun kit, and 22" chrome spinners?

alltracman78
12-19-2005, 04:13 AM
Bump. :hehe:

I am so evil.

sad....