PDA

View Full Version : Brake Calipers

MineralGrey
06-27-2005, 08:36 PM
Folks, I recently had my front passenger-side brake caliper seize on me and drag my wheel around town - looked like a FWD burnout, but it was my caliper that just wouldn't let go of the rotor.

Now, I replaced the brake lines out front - on both sides - and the vehicle is now braking adequately. However, everynow and then that passenger-side caliper seizes up and I'm required to hit the brake pedal slightly to get it to unlatch again. Also, there seems to be a lot more brake dust on that wheel than on the driver-side wheel.

I'm looking to get new brake calipers for the car from Advance Auto Parts (Raybestos). Are there other name brands I should be looking to get for my car (i.e. Beck/Artney, Toyota OEM, etc.)?

Finally, should I be looking at other things that could be causing this caliper to seize and release when I hit the brake pedal?

94CelicaRedHatch
06-27-2005, 08:42 PM
dunno if certain brands make a difference. as long as the car stops lol. did u try bleeding the brakes at all?

Supersprynt
06-27-2005, 08:54 PM
He woulda had to have bled them after the line replacing.

OEMs always the best but always the $$ so maybe find a junkyard or someone parting their car and buy it off of them.

alltracman78
06-27-2005, 09:07 PM
If you're halfway decent with a wrench, you could always rebuild them.
A kit [both sides?]is ~$40 from Toyota. If you do, try to get some caliper grease too.
It's thin [not runny thin, just thin] so the slide pistons slide easier.

Galcobar
06-28-2005, 12:56 AM
Yeah, had a caliper seize on me as well. It wasn't actually the piston, but one of the bearings on which the caliper moves (single-piston caliper). It was so completely seized we were bending U-clamps trying to release it. Ended up putting it back on the car and driving downtown to this little parts shop that sells the most amazing assortment of parts at great prices. The lady who took over when her husband died still works at the counter -- late 80s. Ended up getting a remanufactured caliper for $60 (CDN) after giving them my old one.

Hooligan
06-28-2005, 12:58 AM
Rebuilt calipers are cheap, and most even come with a warranty. I got a rebuilt front for $45 + core from Checker a few years ago and it's been fine.

RallyK
06-28-2005, 02:57 AM
Awesome, I'll put that in the memory bank.

96celica
06-28-2005, 03:26 PM
yea advanced auto is the place to go!

MineralGrey
06-29-2005, 08:26 PM
yea advanced auto is the place to go!

Yup, I agree... much more knowledgable staff than the competition. Of course, there's this old little shop by my house called Cooper's and them old men are very knowledgeable - just don't show up with a modified car, they get all vulgar on ya.