PDA

View Full Version : Falken Tires Any Experience with them?

bloodredgt
06-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Hey guys, so my front tires are going out as well as my rears. I'm gonna get 205/45/r16 size tires for my 2000+ gt-s wheels. I was wondering if anyone has had past experience with these tires:

Falken Ziex Ze-512

http://www.falkentire.com/images/IMGtire_512_angle.jpg

The tire weight is 18lbs. so that's appealing compared to my 22lbs. per tire Kumhos for the front and 23lbs. per tire yokos for the rear.

http://www.edgeracing.com/tire/760/

Also, if I have a smaller sidewall it would be better acceleration correct? Also, 4lbs. of rotational mass taken off the tires would make a noticeable difference when accelerating correct?

Hooligan
06-27-2005, 06:22 PM
A smaller than stock rolling diameter gives you shorter gearing. Reducing rotating mass is always a good thing as well.

Do you really need all season tires for Cali, though? Although they don't sell Falken, I like www.tirerack.com because they have reviews of the tires in question.

RickyNo
06-27-2005, 06:56 PM
Looks like a nice tire, All-Seasons & High-performance too.
V rating (240km/h), 360-A-A (wear-grip-temp).
I'd have no problem at all with buying a tire like this.

I also heard Falken makes good tires, from people who uses them.
My next tires will, in fact, be Falken ones (Azenis st-115 probably). :yes:

bloodredgt
06-27-2005, 07:14 PM
I need all seasons just in case I have the occasional snowboarding trip up in big bear or something plus I hate having tires with crappy grip in the rain. My kumhos were RIDICULOUS!!! Thanks for the input so far. More is welcome!!

Hooligan
06-27-2005, 07:28 PM
Ahhh, I didn't know about snowboarding. These tires sound like a pretty good choice then, I just hope they are still pretty grippy with a wear rating that high.

MrWOT
06-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Take a look at these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=ContiExtremeContact I use those for my winter tires and I live in the sierra foothills about 500 feet below the snow line :) They work VERY well in the rain and snow.

Galcobar
06-28-2005, 12:49 AM
Trouble is, the Continentals don't have a 23.5" diametre tire for a 16-inch wheel. Nothing even close.

My preferred is the Kumho Ecsta ASX -- living in a temperate rainforest, you get a lot of wet weather throughout the year. Though we've had near-drought conditions the last couple years (yes, Mr. Bush, there's no such thing as global warming). 420 AA/A at 19 pounds for the 205/40R17. And unlike most tires, they can handle the Celica's high load requirement -- stock is 85, and most tires this size are at best 83, usually 80.

MoralWarfare
06-28-2005, 04:20 AM
My dad runs those tires on his 97 BMW 328i and we both love them. Good traction in shitty conditions (very impressive in the wet) and dry traction is damn good for the price. No wear signs yet despite 5k miles of harder than normal driving.

smoothtuner
06-28-2005, 04:24 AM
Where can these be had?

MoralWarfare
06-28-2005, 04:29 AM
i purchased mine through www.edgeracing.com

My rocco runs Hankook Ventus HRii wheels, which are in the same price range. I'd much rather have purchased the Falkens.

Gary
06-28-2005, 04:38 AM
I have those Falken Ziex Ze-512s on my Solara in 205/65/R15 (V-rate)
The car is FWD and make 200 hp but more torque than your GTS.
I have no complain with them.
Plenty of dry traction and will only slip when launching "very hard" on wet surface.
Wet traction is very good, will not hydroplane easily like my previous Pirelli P6000.
I've heard they wear pretty quick.
I have put around 8k miles and they still look and perform well.

bloodredgt
06-28-2005, 07:11 AM
someone please explain the treadwear ratings to me please!

I need these to last around 2 years

InitialD93
06-28-2005, 09:52 AM
higher the tread wear... the harder the compound and the longer they last... also the less grip

longevity= higher tread wear
performance= lower tread wear

u need to find a balance between them that suits you... 280 seems to be doing very well for me on my yokohomas but i run different summer tires than in the winter

Galcobar
06-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Courtesy of 1010tires.com -- there's a lot more where this came from:

Uniform Tire Quality Grading

The Uniform Tire Quality Grading rating is a quality rating system developed by the American Department of Transportation. It is designed to tell consumers the relative performance of passenger tires (but does not apply to winter tires).

Below is an example of a UTQG Rating:

150A B

The "150" indicates the treadwear rating
the "A" indicates traction
the "B" indicates temperature

The Treadwear rating is based on a wear test performed on a 400 mile government test course covering specified sections of public roads in Texas. A group of not more than 4 test vehicles travels the course in a convoy so that all tires experience the same conditions. Tread groove depths of the tires being tested are measured after each 800 miles. The same procedure is followed for a set of "control" or "course monitoring tires" Upon the completion of the 7200 mile test, the rating results of both tires are compared, and the tires being tested are assigned a treadwear rating according to government standards. This number can be used to compare between tires. In the above example, this tire rated 150 should last 1/2 as long as a tire rated 300. The relative performance of tires depends upon the actual conditions of their use and may be significantly different from the norm due to differences in road characteristics and climate.

The Traction ratings are AA, A, B, and C, from highest to lowest. This measurement indicates a tires ability to stop in a straight line on wet pavement. The rating is based on a 40mph test where the brakes are "locked up" on wet asphalt and wet concrete surfaces. It's important to remember that this rating does not indicate the tires ability to resists hydroplaning, and do not apply to cornering traction.

Temperature ratings are determined by running tires on an indoor roadwheel test under specified conditions. Successive 30 minute runs are made in 5mph increments starting at 75mph and continuing until the tires fails. Tires with an A rating must withstand at least 114mph, B at least 99mph, and C at least 85mph. These measurements indicate the tire's ability to sustain high temperatures which often cause tires to wear away quickly or in extreme conditions lead to sudden tire failure.

To learn just about everything you'd need to know about tires and wheels, or at least how to choose them, check: http://www.1010tires.com/tech.asp

bloodredgt
06-28-2005, 07:30 PM
THANKS A BUNCH!!!!!!!!!!! Reading up on it now!

roman
06-28-2005, 09:20 PM
I had my sister buy the Ziex 512 for her Maxima 2 years ago because they seemed like a good tire on paper. I wouldn't buy them again. The wear was surprisingly fast on the tires. For the first year or so the tires were quiet, comfortable, and did very well in the wet. The snow traction was always horrid. I wouldn't bring them on a snowboarding trip. The sidewalls are also very soft making for mushy steering feel. They were bald after about 30k miles. That is pretty poor considering my sister drives like a Grandma. I would expect more from an allseason.

Overall I was never happy with any of the Falken tires except for the Azenis sport.

I would pick the Kumho Ecsta ASX before the Ziex 512's. Both of the tires are in the same class and I think the ASX is a better tire. My buddy had it on his Corrado and it felt pretty good. Got him through some snow too.

To be honest with you, I think you should just get a set of decent summer tires and find another car to go snowboarding with. You will really enjoy your car a lot more with good tires on it.

bloodredgt
06-28-2005, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the input so far, more is welcome!

Kingsoup
06-29-2005, 04:08 PM
I just bought 4 of these on my GTS. 225/50/15's. I've owned Michelin Pilot XGT-Z4 and V4's they were good tires, and I think these are just as good.

Honestly, I thought the rounded sidewall would be noticible in sidewall flex, but this is not the case at all. The dry grip is much higher then I expected for a budget all-season Perf tire. The limit I've found is quite high, with a very smooth and progressive break-away at the limit. Wet traction is great! no hydroplanning at all.

Honestly, if they were crap, I'd tell you they were crap, but so far, after 2000kms, they are really nice, quite happy I am.

bloodredgt
08-25-2005, 06:25 AM
alright, i just bought 4 of these 205/45/16. Using the tire calculator that adrian provided, I found that the 205/45/16 tires would make the height of the tire almost identical to the stock 185/65/14 tires. So now the speedometer reads the right speed being off by only .9% So i'm going 59.5mph when the speedo shows 60mph.

Going from 205/50/16 to 205/45/16 actually makes a noticable difference in ride height and acceleration. I found accelerating from a stop was much faster and handling improved (also credit to new tires). It's amazing how fast the speedometer needle moves now.

Nemesis3S-GTE
08-25-2005, 05:04 PM
I've bought 2 or 3 sets of these tires over the years, and for the money i think they are pretty good. I have never had a set last much more than a year though (mostly due to autocrossing on them and driving hard). Let me say this though, they are NOT a good winter tire. I have used 2 of the sets in the winter, the first on my GT (when it still had the 5S-FE) and the second on my old Legacy Sport Sdn. The Celica slid everywhere, and I can't remember how many times I thought I was gonna die in the snow. On the Legacy, I got caught putting my summer rims on too early, and almost rear-ended someone even though I gave more than enough stopping distance, they just slid. On wet when they're new, they are absolutely awesome, I remember trying to hit puddles to see if I could get them to hydroplane, and it never happened. All in all, if you are not going to use them for the winter (at least heavy, wet snow) they will be great.

bloodredgt
08-25-2005, 07:05 PM
Not planning on using them in heavy snow (since in socal it doesn't really snow... especially in LA). Maybe I might go snowboarding with my car, but of course I have options of catching rides with friends who have SUVs. Besides, I don't plan on autocrossing with my car anytime soon since I need it as a daily driver. Plan on just driving the weekend car wild. :D

Luni
08-25-2005, 10:33 PM
I have those Falken Ziex tires on my current rims (just put em on) and I havent really driven it too much, definately havent driven it in the rain or anything, it feels stickier than the allseason yokohama yk420s i have on my stock 14s.