PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Leak Please Help

smoothtuner
06-25-2005, 02:37 AM
Parked in my girlfriends driveway at an angle it dripped dripped from the back of the tank. It seems to be coming from the small line to the right of the large filler line. What is this line? I dont know if it is coming from where it meets the tank or from the line itself or what not. Right now I just want to know what this line is.

I moved it to level ground and the leak stopped. I started the car...no leak came. So its leaking out when the gas is sloshed to the back of the tank (I just filled up today).

Whatever this is...has anyone replaced that line? Wheres it go...how much of a PITA is it? I dont have a chilton or haynes yet...I was hoping to grab a 4$ one off amazon or ebay until I got a factory set of shop manuals. i guess Ill have to pick it up new for 16$ now.

Thanks in advance guys!

Punisher
06-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Eh.. jack the car up.. get down there.. look.. Go to an autostore.. buy some fuel hose and replace it :)

That smaller hose might be the over-fill hose.. I'm not positive...

smoothtuner
06-25-2005, 03:06 AM
Yeah I can figure that much out Punisher thanks ;) ...I want to know what the line is since it may be leaking at the tank where the whole line assembly goes in, not just on the actual line...How can I check which it is?

smoothtuner
06-25-2005, 01:37 PM
Anyone?

schmooot
06-25-2005, 03:17 PM
You will have to get a little toothbrush sized wirebrush and start cleaning up a few lines to see where the actual leak is. I ha d aleak on my tercel and when I finally wire brushed I found about 10 little rust holes at the bottom of the big filler tube, I ended up changing the tank out cuz I couldn't get the leak to stop. But definitaley take the time to see exactly where the leak is, it could be anywhere, but check all the seams (where the gauge is, where the lines go in and out, and where the filler tube goes in)

smoothtuner
06-25-2005, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the tip. FYI The small tube is a breather tube for the large filler tube. Will be replacing the rubber hose and cleaning up the area today