PDA

View Full Version : New to the Celica..need some help.

Ronin807
06-24-2005, 06:34 AM
Just wanted to say hi to everyone and see if I can get some help with my "new" Celica. I just picked up an 85 GT with the 22re motor for a steal. Car is in excellent shape, 1 owner, all reciepts(parts/labor) since 85, 70k on the clock and a minor bit of northern weight reduction (rust). First 2 problems, possible water pump leak/ blown headgasket....turned out it was a crappy hose and clamp, all fixed no leaks. Second problem...and the one I can't figure out and apperently neither can the dealership according to the reciepts. Alright the car will start at random and sometimes stay running...for a short while 10-15 minutes idles fine then dies. It will drive during this time. runs steady and not hard...purrs like a kitten. Sometimes it starts and runs for 10 seconds on its own..then dies. After starting and shutting down it will not restart for several hours, starter cranks but it won't turn over at all. Seems like it's flooding but there is no cloud of black smoke when it does start or while it runs, so I would guess it's not running pig rich. I have changed the plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and it still starts only when it feels like it. The first owner brought it into the shop in 2002 for similar symptoms...shop said they depressed accelerator and it started....it's fixed. It has started hard according to the 1st owner since that time. I'm kinda lost here and am not sure how to proceed. The car was originally bought as a backup driver for my 95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD while it get's tore down and rebuilt...but I like the Celica and it definetly seems worth the time to get it running and redone....But I'm stuck, Any help from any of the Toyota Yoda's out there would be great.

Demz
06-24-2005, 08:14 AM
hmm valve clearences, vacuum leak, or clogged fuel filter maybe?

if you cant find your problem, feel free to visit the site in my sig. they are 3rd gen (82-85) masters, and should surely solve your problem

Ronin807
06-24-2005, 04:03 PM
Excellent, thanks much, hopefully we can get her on the road!