PDA

View Full Version : Bad Alignment, just Changed front Struts

Kingsoup
06-24-2005, 01:23 AM
Hi guys!

I just changed my front strut cartridges. The first time, it afterwards it was making bad clunking noises, but had true alignment.

I took them apart, reseated springs, and now its clunk free, but pulling to the right! Also, the left front tire is making a squirmy noise around some corners, and turn in feels bad.

What role does the front struts have in alignment? What did I screw up?

Thanks for help!

MoralWarfare
06-24-2005, 01:52 AM
you had to take the McPherson strut assembly out to realign the struts, no? Every time you do suspension work like this you need to check your alignment. I don't know what to say really, other than check out your alignment.

slvrblt
06-24-2005, 01:55 AM
:stupid:

Galcobar
06-24-2005, 04:14 AM
Bascially, you got lucky the first time -- or sort of lucky. Most alignment problems aren't truly noticable until you are at high speeds or notice your tires wearing unevenly.

Kingsoup
06-24-2005, 10:16 PM
Blasted thing! I can't tell if its toe-in, negative camber, what the heck is going on.

I've looked at the struts, they look fine, I don't know what the problem is. I don't trust alignment shops, I always get the car back,half-ass aligned, I'd rather try to figure out the problem myself.

MoralWarfare
06-24-2005, 11:45 PM
ok, go buy 4,000 dollars or more in equipment and do an alignment.

Kingsoup
06-26-2005, 07:00 PM
ok, go buy 4,000 dollars or more in equipment and do an alignment.

Lots of self racers do alignments with string and weights. Its not hyper accurate but can be quite useful for modifying your settings out on the track.

But I forgot, you need 4000$ equipment to do it. And only professional mechanics can fix cars....

alltracman78
06-26-2005, 09:03 PM
Lots of self racers do alignments with string and weights. Its not hyper accurate

But I forgot, you need 4000$ equipment to do it. And only professional mechanics can fix cars....

There's your answer.
Anytime you pull the suspension apart, you need to get an alignment done. Period. You [migh] get lucky and put it back exactly the same, but it's unlikely.

To do some things right, yes, you need expensive equipment.
If you're going to rebuild your engine, do you measure the cylider bores with a string and ruler?
And use a Disc sander to recut a aluminum head?

He's telling you the right answer. No need to be a putz about it.