PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything behind the rocker panels?

Hooligan
06-24-2005, 12:48 AM
Has anyone ever had the rocker panels off for replacement or seen behind them? I am in the process of fitting some of the convertible sideskirts to my car and body molding tape doesn't seem to be doing the trick. The skirts are bolted to the fender lip at the rear and supported by a small metal bracket at the front, but they sag down a little in the middle and the top of the skirt doesn't sit on the body line like it should.

Any help?

Edit: I forgot to say why I wanted to know if there's anything back there. I am debating using some self-tapping screws down there and don't want to mess anything up.

slvrblt
06-24-2005, 01:49 AM
The body shop that put on my body kit used a piece of angle that they riveted to the rocker panel and then attached the side skirt to that piece of angle.

Hooligan
06-24-2005, 02:31 AM
Excellent. Thanks for the info.

RickyNo
06-24-2005, 02:59 AM
Behind them on my car is rust. The front pin broke a few years ago before i had the car. sand and shit came in by the hole. :(

when i get a body job done, i'll replace the plastics by molding the new part either like stock, or with a sideskirt.

42qn30
06-24-2005, 04:15 AM
whats a rocker panel.

Disco Dan
06-24-2005, 04:41 AM
Being a convertible owner, I can tell you.

The side-skirts you're talking about don't just bolt on in the front and back. There are 7 plastic clips that pop into corresponding holes in the side of the rocker-panel there, as well as 4 bolts that screw upwards into the bottom of the rocker-panel. Also, between the top edge of the skirt and the body is a very very thin piece of rubber molding. It's about 1/4" wide, maybe 1/8" thick, and 3-4 feet long. I used a whole lot of glue to keep that attached to the sideskirt. But yeah, the reason your coupe/liftback doesn't have the sideskirts, is because the body doesn't have the holes for them. Look on the sideskirts you have, measure the distance between the holes, and drill the corresponding spots on the body. The holes may actually already be there, just painted over. Then you'll need to get the clips and bolts that fit in those holes. Here. Get yer part numbers and call up the dealer. The clips and bolts can't be much:

http://discodan.org/gfx/celica/conv-sides.jpg

Hope that helps.

D

alltracman78
06-24-2005, 04:43 AM
Bottom of the car, between the wheel wells.
Not the underside, but the part you can see.
Where you attach side skirts, like in pic above.

One of those should make sense. :D

Hooligan
06-24-2005, 05:11 AM
Disco Dan, there is some additional bracketry on the convertibles that I don't have on my coupe. I am making them work without this bracketry, and it looks like just bolting them to the rocker panel will work.

I epoxied the two halves of the skirts together, and superglued the rubber trim back on the top. They are actually on the car right now and look pretty good when the middle doesn't sag below the raised line that the upper edge of them is supposed to lay on.

Pics to come hopefully this weekend...

Hooligan
06-26-2005, 01:48 AM
https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/ddhelgeson/web/DSCF1094.JPG

Sorry about the dark pic, it's pretty overcast here and my camera leaves some to be desired. I will try to get a better pic if it's sunny tomorrow.

alltracman78
06-26-2005, 03:58 AM
Looks good. :D
Does it get in the way for a jack?

Luis C
06-26-2005, 07:08 AM
Looks good. :D
Does it get in the way for a jack?

I think it will depend on if you have lowering springs or not. I know that with my car I have to slightly lift the car by the fenders whenever I'm at a tire shop since or the jacks wont clear past.

alltracman78
06-26-2005, 11:01 AM
I meant as far as closeness to the rail. My buddies GST has factory skirts, but they block the rail where you put the jack.

Hooligan
06-26-2005, 05:24 PM
Nope, you can still jack with no problem.

Hopefully it's sunny today and I can get a clearer pic!

ciento44
06-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Bumpity bump. This is relevant to my interests.

Has anyone else besides him attempted this? It looks like the "right" way to do it would be to get that weird bracket from the vert and weld it on, but i'm way less than excited to do that.

I'm also not real excited about drilling holes in my car, but i can deal with doing that on the bottom, i just don't really want to do it on the sides.

Hooligan
06-04-2008, 07:03 PM
I ended up beefing up that bracket in front and then I did use some self tapping screws with RTV to seal the holes. It was holding up just fine when I sold the car.

Back from the dead...

ciento44
06-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I ended up beefing up that bracket in front and then I did use some self tapping screws with RTV to seal the holes. It was holding up just fine when I sold the car.

Back from the dead...

By bracket in front you mean....?

And you only did the screws in the bottom? How was it sealed/held against the car on top? Any rattling or additional noise?

Hooligan
06-04-2008, 08:14 PM
I made a small bracket from aluminum (should have used stainless) that bolted to the front of the sideskirt and then to a bolt near the bottom of the car on the fender (I think...it's been a few years). I placed the top of the skirt on top of that little ledge up there, and then used the self-tappers on the bottom. No added noise.

ciento44
06-04-2008, 08:30 PM
I made a small bracket from aluminum (should have used stainless) that bolted to the front of the sideskirt and then to a bolt near the bottom of the car on the fender (I think...it's been a few years). I placed the top of the skirt on top of that little ledge up there, and then used the self-tappers on the bottom. No added noise.

Not to keep beating a dead horse, i really do appreciate you helping me with this, it's been driving me nuts because i'm so close to finishing the first stage of the exterior of this car, and this is the only thing holding me back. You rule. :wiggle:

I'm having a hard time picturing this, though.

At first i though you were talking about the fender well, and that would have made sense, but then i remember that the mudguard is in the way, and the skirt isn't that long anyways. How did you make the bracket without it being seen on the outside?

Fuelish
06-07-2008, 05:01 AM
..........Also, between the top edge of the skirt and the body is a very very thin piece of rubber molding. It's about 1/4" wide, maybe 1/8" thick ....... Hmmmm, interesting - I learned something tonight (ok well, now this early a.m...) For the life of me never noticed said piece of rubber strip, but a quick midnight trip down to my garage proved to me that it is indeed there....go figure ;) Thanks for the info, all-y'all