PDA

View Full Version : Fix for broken cup holder latch

caneman
06-22-2005, 09:32 PM
I've noted several threads complaining about the poorly engineered/positioned cup holder that gets bashed by the stickshift and ends up popping out when you don't want it to.

I discovered a Toyota Tech Reference that referred to this problem (#B092009 Dec 92 - Interior trim - New cupholder lock). Toyota Parts Departments should be able to supply a fix: Part # 55631-32013 - lock, Instrument Panel, cupholder #1.

I think that it is a felt patch of some sort that increases the locking action. To install, grasp extended cupholder on both sides, pulling outward equally with some force until the cupholder portion pops out of the carrier/frame section that is recessed into the dash. Reinstall by reversing the procedure.

Now - to figure out how to keep from bashing it with the stickshift!

Murgatroy
06-22-2005, 09:35 PM
Hehe I cheated. I wedged a penny in the side of mine. It hasn't popped out since. Well once, but that doesn't count cause they tried jacking my stereo and broke that portion of my dash all to hell.

C_Herb
06-22-2005, 09:46 PM
When I hadmy 5th gen, I refused to use my cup holder. I only took drinks in the car that had caps on them.

ocb_dave_ocb
06-22-2005, 09:48 PM
:stupid:

Punisher
06-23-2005, 01:49 AM
Well.. I usually put fast food cups in there.. The latch is like broken on mine.. won't latch in at all.

But if it's that easy to remove.. I'll pop it out and see what's up.

caneman
06-23-2005, 04:37 AM
Punisher, I just noticed your profile. ALLENTOWN! I'm in Tampa Bay now, but used to live in Belvidere, NJ. Wife and I used to go out to the Allentown Mall all the time. I miss ABE, a simple, uncomplicated airport where you could park your car 100 feet from the terminal and just walk in...

Punisher
06-23-2005, 06:42 AM
Ya.. not a bad terminal .. specially for being an international one.

Lehigh Valley mall I assume? Not a bad mall I guess.. A whole strip of stores up there too.. I personally don't care for Allentown.

Hooligan
06-23-2005, 07:05 AM
My solution? Remove the cupholders. I make passengers hold the drinks, put them between my legs (feels great in the summer :) ), or put one in the center console near the e brake handle. Works well enough for me.

C_Herb
06-23-2005, 07:21 AM
The tuck the cup inbetween your right ass check, seat belt buckle, and middle console trick always worked for me...when I wasn't just using bottles with caps.

bitskyline
06-23-2005, 07:33 AM
i just don't eat or drink in my car.... but yea i hate hitting that thing, scared ima brake it one of these days.. remember i still have the stock one so it almsot touches the deck...

Scrodbagus
06-23-2005, 09:04 AM
this was my solution.. i dint like the cup holders at all so i made this up..
http://people.msoe.edu/~morem/Hosting/DSC00132.JPG

Murgatroy
06-23-2005, 09:08 AM
Scrod, show me more... I like that.

caneman
06-23-2005, 04:55 PM
You know, I just had an idea: I wonder if you can change the position of the various plug-ins. Could you shift the entertainment stuff down and the cupholder up to the top, out of the way of the shifter?

Punisher
06-23-2005, 05:20 PM
Ya, but not practical.. I thought about this and then realized that cups/bottles over like 4" tall wouldn't fit right.

caneman
06-23-2005, 05:45 PM
I think that the best solution may be to fix the broken latch problem so the damn thing doesn't keep popping out and then install a short-shifter so that I don't keep whacking the cupholder (or missing shifts when it's loaded with my favorite Steak-N-Shake vanilla malt!).

RickyNo
06-23-2005, 06:38 PM
Mine works like a brand new one, no poping out by itself. :wiggle:

The tuck the cup inbetween your right ass check, seat belt buckle, and middle console trick always worked for me...when I wasn't just using bottles with caps.

I do this too, for bottles too big for the cupholder, or when i want to avoid the bottle to touch the random button or have access to the volume button of the head unit.

Snafu
06-23-2005, 07:04 PM
I ripped mine out and put an SAFC in there. Works well.

MoralWarfare
06-23-2005, 07:10 PM
cupholders are for pussies.
http://img212.echo.cx/img212/369/roccoint3lj.jpg
so is a radio, an airbag, and air conditioning. ah damnit you can't see my center console. Sorry, this has now become a shameless plug for el rocco.

acidice333
06-24-2005, 03:31 AM
You know, I just had an idea: I wonder if you can change the position of the various plug-ins. Could you shift the entertainment stuff down and the cupholder up to the top, out of the way of the shifter?

Yes it is changable but with work. I tried it, didin't like it. Thank gawd I only semi-hacked the cup holder