PDA

View Full Version : 5sfe to 3sfe or 3sge swap. can it be done?

2k lightning
06-22-2005, 07:22 PM
been doing some research on engine swaps and have been getting conflicting information. My sons 92 gts with a 5sfe threw a rod last sat night. I have an 86 st with a good 3sfe. I also have found some 3sfe and 5sge motors for sale. My question is are they all physically interchangable? I realize there will be wiring issues to overcome, but can I bolt a 3sfe or 3sge to the tranny and engine mounts in the 92 gts without major modifications?

locker
06-22-2005, 08:36 PM
yes they are all physically interchangable. I am currently putting a 5sfe celica motor into my 91 camry with the 3sfe and everything bolts up fine. To try and avoid wiring issues I simply took the 5sfe short block and bolted EVERYTHING from the 3sfe directly onto the block without any modification needed. Im not sure of what if any issues I'll run into once the motor is back in the car but I'll find out this weekend when I go to fire her up

Murgatroy
06-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Yes. The 'S' designates the block. Since they are all 'S' series engines, they are interchangable with only wiring being the troublesome issue. It however would be quickest and easiest to find another 5SFE and drop that right in in place. That is the least amount of work and hassle. But if you wanted to go with a 3SGTE (hint hint) it has been tried and true to the point of commonday placement now and you are in the right place to help you through with the swap. Things that you need to take into consideration though, your original tranny was not built to handle the increased horsepower of a 3SGTE or even a 3SGE. While it may last indefinately, it won't last forever.

Punisher
06-22-2005, 08:41 PM
An S53 will handle a 3SGTE.. It just depends on how you drive it and what condition the tranny is in to begin with.

If you want to slam it through all the gears.. I'd swap the S53 transmission out.

2k lightning
06-23-2005, 03:55 AM
thanks guys, good info and good news. time to go engine shopping.