PDA

View Full Version : Smokin at start

Freeze
06-19-2005, 09:31 PM
Does anyone know what the problem would be if my car lets out a large, white puff of smoke right when I start? It only does it when it's a cold start though. Also when it's a cold start it'll idle at around 2000 RPM for a few seconds and then settle down to a more normal 800. Not sure if the two things are related. The white smoke would seem like a head gasket or something, but I just think it's odd that it's only at a cold start. I've heard a that can happen when you have a valve sticking. If that's the case, how would you fix it?

smoothtuner
06-19-2005, 09:49 PM
The high intial idle seems fairly normal, but I may be wrong. Mine does it and it doesn't smoke...but maybe I should be looking closer lol.

Hooligan
06-19-2005, 10:11 PM
The short-term high idle is normal. It's part of the engine's control strategy to warm the engine up. If you unplug the IACV, it won't do that. You want it to, however.

Are you sure the puff of smoke at startup isn't oil (blue/gray)? Evaporated coolant and oil smoke are very close in color and it can be hard to tell the difference. Have someone else start the car while you sit out behind the car and smell the smoke (not too close...you don't want to get burned or breathe too much!). Coolant will smell sweet, kind of like maple syrup. Burning oil has a very characteristic smell as well, but it's hard to describe as anything other than burning oil. Heh. That puff at startup, if the smoke is oil, is probably due to a leaky valve stem seal. The keep oil from the head from travelling around the shaft of the valve and into the combustion chamber. When they get old, they tend to be leaky. The reason they don't leak when the car is warm is because they expand when they're heated and work like they should.

PhillyDRFT
06-19-2005, 11:43 PM
i have the same problem, Worne out piston rings. leting oil make its way into the cillinder then burning it at startup

Edit: not saying thats what YOUR problem is, but thats mine

importedhp
06-25-2005, 03:21 AM
if it is a blueish color smoke then most likly your valve stem seals are leaking . toyotas are known for that and it is a pain to fix. but it doesnt cost to much. i would check the compression first if it is within specs then change the seals. 10-1 says that is what we would do at the dealer

Hooligan
06-25-2005, 04:28 AM
Not all Toyota's are known for that valve stem leak. It was one of the problems that Toyota fixed in teh 92 year Celica update.