PDA

View Full Version : Project Drop Top Turbo

repDR4ever
06-17-2005, 01:55 PM
What's up fellas?

I'm new to the site but have been around Toyota's for years. I've owned a couple of Corolla's, and Supra's which have all been killed because of stupid people on the road. Now, I'd like to get into Celica's!!

I've seen some killa Celi's on here. Especially the swaps. I'm currently starting a new project and I'd like as much input from u guys as possible.

So, what I have at the moment are 2 cars that will eventually become one. The first is an 88 Celica All-Trac. The chassis on this car is rusted out pretty bad but the everything is in good condition. The second car is an 91 Celica GT Convertible.

What I want to do is swap the 3sgte into the 91 GT. The 91 Gt is automatic which I will be changing to a manual set up. I'm still debating which tranny to use. The 3sgte nees a little work but I want to keep it with stock internals and add a few upgrades to reach about 200hp so I can eat up some civics and integras running around. lol

So this is what I'm working with. Any input you guys have (good or bad) will be greatly appreciated. my email is repDR4ever@yahoo.com. Later guys.....

Murgatroy
06-17-2005, 02:03 PM
I suggest an MR2 tranny. There are a few minor modifications that will be needed on the tranny itself, but nothing major, there are plenty of folks here that will help you through it.

I would suggest some body bracing as the `vert is not as rigid as the coupe or liftback.

All in all I say you have the formula for a sweet ride.

Freeze
06-17-2005, 03:10 PM
It'd probably feel like you have the extra weight like an all-trac. With the weight of the convertibles it makes up for the weight of the AWD system on the all-trac, so it'd be an interesting comparison.

Disco Dan
06-17-2005, 03:36 PM
I've been thinking about this same swap on my '92 convertible as well, but with the current engine only having 80k miles on it, I don't see the point quite yet. However, it's definitely something I want to do once this engine dies. As far as the structural rigidity of the Convertible, it's already designed to take the same kind of driving as a standard celica, since it's got the extra body bracing already. But that's mainly for turning, since the body would twist and buckle (down the center axis) otherwise. I've seen the 3sgte in a convertible once before, though. You might wanna contact bongbbreakin to see how he did it:

http://www.celicatech.com/forums/member.php?u=528

D

repDR4ever
06-17-2005, 03:57 PM
As far as the MR2 tranny, from what I've read on here, I think that maybe overkill as I'm going for a mainly stock setup for now. I'm thinking of maybe a GT tranny or a Camry tranny.

I was a little concerned about the structure of the car with the gte but I think I'll be ok with the stock setup.

repDR4ever
06-17-2005, 05:50 PM
So do you guys have any suggestions on the engine upgrades? I'd like to keep the internals stock.