PDA

View Full Version : Launching an AWD?

fiveSFE
06-17-2005, 03:06 AM
i jsut got a awd dsm, i am having trouble launching it. Ill rev up to about 5k and let off the clutch slowly, the car will jump ahead for a second, then bog down and the rpms drop way down. I have gotten a few good launches on it and it feels incredible :), but so far all my races are from rolls because i am inconsistent with the launch.

Im just wondeirn how all you all-trac guys have any tips? like what rpms and if u jsut dump the clutch or let it out slowly?

Slider
06-17-2005, 03:24 AM
You're supposed to let it out slowly while also giving it gas the whole time so the turbo doesn't bog down. Forgot the exact RPMs it's done at probably 4-5k. Best thing you can do is practice, practice, and practice. Trust me you'll get it down. Also these kind of launches aren't too great for the clutch.

Playfortoday
06-17-2005, 03:29 AM
I would never launch frequently in a dsm. Drivetrain is pretty damn brittle. Any DSM owner should vouch. Btw the time my buddy got to about 275whp, syncros started going in first and second.

Playfortoday
06-17-2005, 03:30 AM
BTW, my 2wd tsi lauched awesome with drag radials. Your only hope to get a sub 1.8 0-60ft with awd is to get way more power and launch control. But he is right, high revs and feather the clutch until then. Eats clutches very fast.

fiveSFE
06-17-2005, 03:42 AM
how many miles were on his tranny? yeah im worried about practicing TO MUCH because i dont want to break anything

brusk
07-07-2005, 02:01 AM
actually in my buddies 96 Eclipse GSX we found the best (but loudest) was a heavy duty ACT clutch, I think a 2600 or something and some Nitto tires. The Nitto's would break loose and then progressively grip as they heated up. Wasn't quite as fast as a perfect clutch smoking AWD go but tires are alot easier to replace and it was consistant almost everytime. Not sure how much power he was running but it was low 13's and stock turbo.

Sean
07-07-2005, 02:58 AM
As play was stating, those DSM trannies are not nearly as robust as toyota's alltrac transmission.

If the car is bogging, then you do need to feather the clutch out a bit more, while smoothly applying more gas.

fiveSFE
07-11-2005, 07:31 PM
im starting to get better at my launches, everyonce in a while ill still bog down, so i only race from a dead stop once in a great while. i asked a bunch of dsm guys here in town for some advice, and they just told me expect to go threw some clutches, one guy said he went threw 7 act 2100 and 2600 clutches in one year, but he never had any problems wit the trans or any other parts on the car.

Lagos
07-11-2005, 11:53 PM
my tip on launching a dsm.... rev, dump clutch, pray you dont have a 3 bolt rear end...lol

Lagos
07-11-2005, 11:55 PM
how many miles were on his tranny? yeah im worried about practicing TO MUCH because i dont want to break anything

its a dsm. everything that can break on the car, will. i would try avoiding awd launches if you can.