PDA

View Full Version : This can't be good...Oil pump?

PaulT
06-16-2005, 11:07 AM
My 90 w/ 4AFE sat for a couple years before it was given to me. It just passed 185,000 mi

I've put about 2k mi on it since I put it on the road.
Yesterday the oil light started coming on intermittently. A quick blink at low idle, but going uphill more steady. :(

She's full of oil, has 2k since the last change, but the stuff that came out then was pretty nasty. :ugh:

How hard is it to get to the oil pump?
Considering what came out, could the screen be clogged? Maybe another change and fresh filter? Any suggested product that might help to clean things out?

If I do end up replacing the pump, what else should I do while I have it apart? I was thinking main bearings, timing belt (that's a given). I'm accoustem to Ford/Chevy V8s but never went into a Toyota motor. I'll have to dig out my book for this one.

Idealy a fresher motor with a few more hp would be nice, but this is my DD and I'm not ready to get into that kind of project and dealing with the ECU and rewiring.....yet ;-)

42qn30
06-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Is the car leaking copious amounts out the oil pump? It might be leaking through oil pan gasket or possibly the camshaft oil seal. The oil pickup in the oil pan might be the problem. If the car sat for 2 years I would replace every oil seal on the engine; possibly the rear main if you feel compelled.

PaulT
06-16-2005, 05:56 PM
It's not leaking at all :)

RickyNo
06-16-2005, 06:05 PM
Could be as simple as a defective Oil Pressure Sender making your light come on.

CelicaGT4
06-16-2005, 07:26 PM
If you have access to an oil pressure guage, hook that up and see if you have pressure. If you have oil pressure, and it's full on the dipstick...you have nothing to worry about! :wiggle:

alltracman78
06-16-2005, 07:50 PM
^
That's the best suggestion. If you have no leaks, and start pulling things apart, you're probably going to end up with them.
Tho the lack of leaks could be explained by low oil pressure.
Get a aftermarket gauge and check.
If it has low pressure, drop the oil pan first. See if the pickup is clogged. If so, clean and reseal pan, go from there.

If you do replace, don't worry about the bearings. Do the oil pump, water pump, timing belt. Check out the T-belt tensioner too.

Luni
06-16-2005, 07:52 PM
You could even run a degunk through it to unsludge the mofo.

alltracman78
06-16-2005, 07:58 PM
True...
But if the pickup is clogged, it would probably only make it worse...

Luni
06-16-2005, 08:10 PM
But if it allows any amount of flow through it, the degunk might help strip some of the crap out of there and make it flow more again.

I dont think he could harm anything by trying.

alltracman78
06-17-2005, 03:06 AM
:shrug:

PaulT
06-17-2005, 03:30 AM
^
That's the best suggestion. If you have no leaks, and start pulling things apart, you're probably going to end up with them.

Check out the T-belt tensioner too.

Thanks Alltrac. didn't think about creating leaks!
Tensioner is good to know too :bigthumbu

Based simply on my schedule the next few days, I will probably run something in it and 'clean the mofo out' :D then take it from there.
Working tomorrow night, so a guage will definately be comming home with me.