PDA

View Full Version : 7th gen gts or BMW 328i?

AllOutRed90
06-15-2005, 05:39 AM
:D Well i am deciding on next years car to get, see i have made a decision in my life that i want to get something newer and better then my old celica, and that time is next may...so i have began to car shop, and i found that on a contingency basis a 2000-2004 Celica GTS runs the same price as a 1999-2000 BMW is equal or similar mileage, then i began to look at the aspects of both. The celica at about 180 HP and high 20's MPG, then looking at the BMW which has 250 HP and high 20's MPG too. Then toward the interior, for the celica at that price it did not have leather interior nor alot of options, so i turned to the BMW...Black leather power everything...wow! Now to the exterior.....BMW's fine paint job, sparkles like brand new with show room quality, this car was owned and kept up nicely...but then you go off to buy a celica, what are your chances of it being raced? quite realistic...plus im a very open reading in all gens of celicas, and have read quite a few dissapointing wrongs of the 7th gen celica....a few issues....

So i am now stuck in this dilemma....Can anyone help me out...lets just say, help me move toward the right decision....

MoralWarfare
06-15-2005, 05:57 AM
a 328 does NOT have 250 hp . Try 196 and 200 ft-lbs of torque.

Didn't we discuss the BMW before?

SoLiDsHaDy22
06-15-2005, 06:01 AM
well the BMW does have the features...but dont forget the high priced parts/services and you can always depend on a Toyota...so its really what you want in your ride...logevity and dependability as in the celica or the luxury and pristine of a BMW...personally id go with the BMW because im leaning towards luxury and i dont like the futurisitc design of the 7th gen...but whatever you do make sure its what you want and id suggest a test drive =0)

ibanezgfx
06-15-2005, 06:06 AM
i had the exact same dilimma.
i figured that the celica would be less costly on repairs. so i went with it. and the coolest BMW i could find that i wanted was an auto. booooo
if you get a GTS, make SURE its a 6 speed. if you get an auto, its seriously slower than the GT 5 speed.
newcelica.org has any answer you could possibly want about 7th gens.
hope this helps a little. :)
-Adam

AllOutRed90
06-15-2005, 06:21 AM
like i stated above im a avid reader of all celica stuff...i know alot about the 7th gen...i could answer most questions people throw out...as for the 250 hp, that was a mistype, i had the e36 m3 on my mind haha...yes the e46 328i 2.8l has 193 HP and 205 TQ, and runs stock a 6.6 0-60...weights a little over 3000 IBS...as for the new celica being more reliable...they are about a toss on reliability...im not going to be racing this car...so that wont be a factor either...ill take all the precautions on it...

ill more then likely go for the bmw, its got more style and no one can make fun of you for driving a BMW haha

AllOutRed90
06-15-2005, 06:22 AM
ooh and the discussion about this before, was over getting a 96 which is the e36 style (more boxy and less luxurie) this is the newer one in question....and before the 7th gen wasnt brought to question...i like it, but its too high of price in my area....

MoralWarfare
06-15-2005, 06:38 AM
like i stated above im a avid reader of all celica stuff...i know alot about the 7th gen...i could answer most questions people throw out...as for the 250 hp, that was a mistype, i had the e36 m3 on my mind haha...yes the e46 328i 2.8l has 193 HP and 205 TQ, and runs stock a 6.6 0-60...weights a little over 3000 IBS...as for the new celica being more reliable...they are about a toss on reliability...im not going to be racing this car...so that wont be a factor either...ill take all the precautions on it...

ill more then likely go for the bmw, its got more style and no one can make fun of you for driving a BMW haha
I'm sorry, didn't realize you meant e46. You said 99-00, one year is e36 and one e46. The e36 M3 has 240hp, whereas both e36 and e46 328s have about the same power and torque, around 193 and 205 as you stated.

I would take the BMW. The parts are actually not that expensive, but you will need to take it to BMW if you buy an e46 and it starts throwing codes. Once you get up into the later 90s with BMW they are much better off being serviced by BMW. Not to mention after driving BMWs and hopping in other cars, they are FAR superior to anything else in the price range. The materials used are great, the layout is great, the whole BMW experience is cool. That is, if you don't get a big head about it.

AllOutRed90
06-15-2005, 06:47 AM
Beleice me, i am from nowhere one of them bigheaded types, sure its styling, sure looks superior, but i wont act that way...ill still do anything that i can myself, but when it comes to something difficult, id either A) ask for help from someone qualified, or B) go to BMW.... but what about installing aftermarket parts? can BMW do that for you?

MoralWarfare
06-15-2005, 06:53 AM
yes they can, and you can purchase performance parts through BMW as well, made by Dinan. I would suggest other manufacturers however, as Dinan is licensed by BMW and therefore is detuned slightly for reliability.

In fact, we have a few cars that come into our shop that we modified with non-Dinan parts (my dealership is not a Dinan dealer anyways). My favorite is an e36 m3 (98) that Jeff installed an AA Tuning supercharger kit on, as well as eibach springs, koni dampers, new hardcore tranny mounts, front and rear eibach anti-sways and Turner larger rear swaybar links. It's got a bunch of other goodies, and the only thing we didn't install was the aftermarket steering wheel.

AllOutRed90
06-15-2005, 07:09 AM
sounds pretty cool...sounds most likely that i will go with the e46 BMW then....my color options around here arent very dimunitive tho....there was a showroom quality black, silver, and a dark blue one...and thats it for color choices...i was gonna go with the silver...kuz after a few years the black will get dirty and swirly marked, and same with dark blue, and as for the silver, its really nice and shiny and has black leather interior....at a reasonable price and mileage....

so what ever is available at the time of my purchase will prolly be what i get....

MoralWarfare
06-15-2005, 07:11 AM
you should have the options of jet black, steel gray metallic, titanium silver, carbon black, and a few other offshoots and such. I'd suggest heading down to your dealership and asking what they get in most often.

BTW, BMWs respond VERY well to modifications, unlike the GTS.

AllOutRed90
06-15-2005, 07:12 AM
and ive found a few good parts resources...thats another thing i like, availability and options...

www.bmpdesign.com
www.mmotorwerks.com
www.understeer.com

and most everything on those websites is available for the above stated car, and at reasonable prices, and intake for the BMW is no more then a Name brand 7th gen CAI such as AEM and such....so there isnt much price discrepency...only thing pricey is the turbo kit, but its only like 3K more then the celica one, and you get more power tho....so i dont see where you guys get your pricing from but those websites seem pretty reasonable...i love their selection too....

MoralWarfare
06-15-2005, 07:15 AM
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/index.asp
http://www.bavauto.com/
http://www.aatuning.com/

these are three of my favorites.
as you can tell, I'm a BMW whore. I'll shut up now.

AllOutRed90
06-15-2005, 07:21 AM
thanks for those links, i like my links too. Those links should help alot in the future, thanks!

Colossus20v
06-15-2005, 02:07 PM
...moving to General Discussion :wiggle:

ChrisD
06-15-2005, 04:07 PM
It's a moral dilemma haha. I have thought about my prospects once I get a new job (hopefully soon or i'll starve!)...still considering between a wrx, a tacoma, 328is, m3, gts, ...

E46 328i ... why not is? I like the 2 door look. :P

The 328 regardless is going to be a superior car. The base price of it brand new is a bit more than even a GTS fully loaded. Maybe you'll get more for your money now that the new 3 series has been released?

I absolutely love BMW's. You will probably get a LOT for your money if you choose it.

:)

Chris

AllOutRed90
06-15-2005, 08:12 PM
"E46 328i ... why not is? I like the 2 door look. "

kuz there isnt any around here....and its gotta be for a family soon too

ToyotaSupra
06-15-2005, 10:55 PM
Get a Supra. :bigthumbu

AllOutRed90
06-15-2005, 11:20 PM
** Above stated either family car or a celica...haha...newer supra maybe but it would have to be a TT....or else i wouldnt do it...hmm ill look into that....

EDIT: i looked into it, there is only 80's supras for sale around here...nevermind that idea.... :ugh:

AllOutRed90
06-16-2005, 12:16 AM
This is the specific one that i like right now, but when the time comes im sure ill have to find a different one, but just thought i would provide you guys with some nice pics and info... :D

http://imageserver.carsoup.com/wbaam/wbaam5338xkg05443-1.jpg?xt=65498
http://imageserver.carsoup.com/wbaam/wbaam5338xkg05443-2.jpg?xt=65498
http://imageserver.carsoup.com/wbaam/wbaam5338xkg05443-3.jpg?xt=65498
http://imageserver.carsoup.com/wbaam/wbaam5338xkg05443-4.jpg?xt=65498
http://imageserver.carsoup.com/wbaam/wbaam5338xkg05443-5.jpg?xt=65498
http://imageserver.carsoup.com/wbaam/wbaam5338xkg05443-6.jpg?xt=65498
http://imageserver.carsoup.com/wbaam/wbaam5338xkg05443-7.jpg?xt=65498

Premium Package,ABS, Air Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, AM/FM Radio, Cassette Radio, Bucket Seating, CD Changer, Cruise Control, Driver-Side Airbag, Heated Seats, Leather Interior, Moon Roof, Memory Seats, Passenger-Side Airbag, Power Locks, Power Mirrors, Power Seats, Power Steering, Power Windows, Rear Window Defroster, Side-Impact Airbags, Tilt Wheel, Traction Control

EDIT: SORRY IT WONT LET ME POST THE PICS UP LIKE THAT, ONLY LETS ME LINK....LOL

MoralWarfare
06-16-2005, 01:00 AM
boooorrrrriiiiinnnnggggggg

if you think it though, :bigthumbu

AllOutRed90
06-16-2005, 01:48 AM
It may look boring at the moment, but after i have it for awhile it wont be so boring anymore...haha...if you know what i mean....You think if i have the money to afford the car, that im not going to be able to afford to mod it a bit....?

AllOutRed90
06-16-2005, 02:05 AM
I also just joined several BMW Forums to get my Feet wet in the BMW world...

www.bimmerwerkz.com
www.bimmerforums.com
www.bimmerfest.com
www.bmwplanet.com
www.hotbimmer.com
www.dtmpower.net
www.bimmer.info

All very good informative websites, ill read up on everything BMW and make posts regaurding BMW's....cant wait until next may....

James D.
06-16-2005, 02:43 AM
It really depends or what taste you have for the automotive world.

You see this is a European car, the Bimmer, if your planning in tuning it then parts will cost you an arm and a leg.

Celica is a Japanese manufactured car and alot of aftermarket supports this when tuning it not only that, basic bolt ons are cheaper compared than the bimmer.

If your into compact sporty look then go with the celica. If you want a 4 door then the bimmer is what you need. really theres no comparison between them, their totally in 2 different class :cool:

AllOutRed90
06-16-2005, 02:50 AM
well, as i stated above, ive been doing my research....

The price range for the actually car is the same....but the price of parts and tuning is the same also...the basic parts have the same price as parts for the celica...Flywheel for a BMW is 500$ so is a Celica flywheel...there isnt any price difference. its mostly a myth that if the car is expensive that the parts are....i already have my small import, so i would like the 4-door....

James D.
06-16-2005, 03:24 AM
then get the 4 door duh! no questions asked :ugh:

AllOutRed90
06-16-2005, 03:29 AM
yeah if you read all my previous posts, then you would realize that i already made that decision....

MoralWarfare
06-16-2005, 04:28 AM
You see this is a European car, the Bimmer, if your planning in tuning it then parts will cost you an arm and a leg.

Celica is a Japanese manufactured car and alot of aftermarket supports this when tuning it not only that, basic bolt ons are cheaper compared than the bimmer.

Spoken like someone who hasn't had experience in both the japanese and european market.

AllOutRed90
06-16-2005, 04:52 AM
yeah i know what an idiot, at least readup before saying something....really there is just as much support for the bmw's as the new celica's, if not more, i mean there is atleast 20 big forums about them and on each forum is atleast 10,000 people per forum, so that means that each one of those people have found parts somewhere, and they are able to tell everyone else, and then that company gets sales, creates better and more parts, then they get bigger and bigger, smaller companies started and get bigger, thus having more parts available. but with the japanese import parts companies they are already big, already got high prices, and thus they are just selling the same thing just formatted for a different car...bla bla blahhhh.!

nuff said... have you ever noticed how many 500+ HP bmw's there is? wow....