PDA

View Full Version : Crank Seal

ChewDogg
12-01-2004, 07:20 PM
Any helpful hints on how to replace the crank seal? I don't want to pay someone 300 bux to do it.

Blackcloud
12-01-2004, 07:59 PM
i redid my front and rear seals when i blew my motor *well thats what cuased it to blow*

pulled the motor and tore the whole motor down. :o

Mike431635
12-01-2004, 10:23 PM
i redid my front and rear seals when i blew my motor *well thats what cuased it to blow*

pulled the motor and tore the whole motor down.

My engine died when I spun a rod bearing.. but I replaced ALL my seals, belts, etc, when I was rebuilding as well.

Sean
12-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Its imperative to make sure both surfaces are smooth and clean to insure proper sealing. Are you positive thats where its leaking from? Which side, tranny or water pump side?

gt_turbo
12-02-2004, 01:08 AM
hey $300 doesn't sound too bad. unless you have a lot of time on your hands and willing to work in tight spaces, i would just let somebody else do it for $300. that is if their work is good and they are trustworthy. but if you wanna do it yourself here's a quick run down of what you have to do. if its behind the crank pulley basically take off alternator, timing belt covers, timing belt, pull the crank pulley off and then you can finally see the seal and pry it out. if its the one behind the fly wheel take off tranny, take off clutch, take off flywheel, pry and replace. if it's behind the crank pulley and you haven't changed your timing belt for a while mine as well do that while you can. and if its the tranny, if you need a clutch change, hey go for it.

ChewDogg
12-02-2004, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the help fellas. Its the seal on the oil pump side. I might as well just pay someone since I don't have time.

Sean
12-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Thanks for the help fellas. Its the seal on the oil pump side. I might as well just pay someone since I don't have time.

300 is pretty high, are you sure thats the best price you can get? Ive seen companies due cam seals for half that, which is a much bigger pita.

That seal really isnt bad, but would be much easier with the engine out. Speaking of engines Chew, when are you going to swap something fun into that black beauty?

ChewDogg
12-02-2004, 01:39 PM
They are doing the cam seal with it. I need a better job or a raise so I can get a clip. COuld be a while cause I'm gonna build it before it goes in.

85gtsblackman
12-03-2004, 12:56 AM
well lets see

cam seal

take plug wires off
then vavle cover
lock cam in place
take gear off
pop off old seal
put new one in

rear main seal

drop tranny or pull engine
take off clutch assembly/toruqe converter
then fly wheel
then rear main

rear main is a pita

lowest ive found for my camry is 350

im gonna do it myself but its gonna be over a weekend at a friends house

his garadge is like a small shop

Dr.Auto
12-03-2004, 05:32 AM
The only seal under the timing cover that's hard to change is the cam seal. Unless you remove the valve cover and the cam bearing cap, then it's really easy too. The only difficult part of changing any of the seals under the timing cover is trying to get off the crank pully, and the cam pulley. But with the correct tools all things are possible with little effort. For a first time venture into the timing cover and having mechanical skills and knowledge I would not suspect anyone to take longer than about 3 hours to complete repairs.

BoostedBlueToyotas
12-04-2004, 10:52 PM
$300 sounds cheap for the job

If you have the money I would replace the timing belt ($30) and
the idlers while you are there. Then you can button it up and
not bother with it for another 60K.

Tim Plessing
Columbia, MD

1990 celica turbo alltrac - blue/blue cloth - 152K - Under restoration
1993 MR2 turbo - blue/black leather - 57K
2005 Scion Tc - Indigo Ink, 5 spd, curtain airbags, Bazooka sub, foglights, [TRD struts,
TRD springs, TRD swaybar - on their way]

85gtsblackman
12-05-2004, 12:40 AM
this front main seal?

TRDmkII
12-05-2004, 03:50 PM
if you are going to replace the crank seal, replace the cam seal and the oil pump seal, that way you won't have to go back in there again.