PDA

View Full Version : car won't start, doesn't even crank

mkivgte
06-14-2005, 07:11 AM
1990 GT 5spd, 177K miles. First time the car has done this, early afternoon,
after picking up some fast food the car wouldn't even crank. Tried several
times to start it, still wouldn't crank but it finally started and I didn't give it much thought after that.

After I got out of work, made a stop before heading home and the car
wouldn't crank again. After several minutes of trying to start it still no go, wouldn't crank...oh cr@p. Here are the symptoms:
1)with the clutch pedal depressed I could hear the starter relay click on the passenger side kick panel as I turn the ignition key and with the clutch pedal released no sound from the relay. So I guess this eliminates the clutch pedal switch.

I was ready to give up and decided to give it one more try to start it. Turned the ignition key on several times and it finally started.

After I got home, I tried to duplicate the problem. Turned off the ignition, waited several minutes and tried to start it and to my surprise the car started without a problem. Turned the ignition on and off several times and
each time the car started. Waited another 15 minutes before starting and again the car started right away... :wtf:

Anyone else had this kind of a problem. :shrug:

bloodredgt
06-14-2005, 07:26 AM
check your battery connection. mine did the exact same when my battery was a bit loose. If it fails to ever crank, you could always give the car a rolling start then do the old "pop the clutch" trick.

Edicius
06-14-2005, 11:40 AM
it could be as simple as your terminal connection. like bloodred said. could be a loose connection, or the terminals could just need to be cleaned.

http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B0006H4BC0/104-1244711-3013533?SubscriptionId=0GKY5T9AP29X0E3X4XG2

those work really well.

AJz
06-14-2005, 11:52 AM
yea its a battery problem, your connections mabey corrodded (spelling), disconnect the battery, and sand the connects on both the top of the battery, and your batt clamp things, also check the nut that tightens the clamps hasnt come off or fallen off, they need to be tight remember, really tight.

alltracman78
06-14-2005, 01:00 PM
Or, it might be your starter hanging up.
Check out all your connections as described above. Tighten/clean as necessary.

Next time it does it [if it does], grab your lug wrench or whatever, and take a couple of wacks at the starter. You don't want to break it, just jar loose whatever is hung up inside, but it's not made of glass, so give it a good wack.
If this solves it, starter is getting too old.

saved_1992
06-14-2005, 01:05 PM
may suggestion will be to install new starter contacts, after you know all the connections are good.

if you have to turn the key several times and just hear one click everytime you turn the key 95% chance the starter contacts are worn out. ABOUT A 20.00 fix if you can replace them yourself

mkivgte
06-14-2005, 03:54 PM
Thanks Guys. I did notice slight corrosion on the battery terminals. I'll get them
cleaned and if it doesn't do the trick the starter contacts will be next.

Marlon