PDA

View Full Version : How to become a certified mechanic?

Lagos
12-10-2004, 05:15 PM
i was just wondering what type of training/certification it takes to get a job as a mechanic and what would be the best way of getting it?

DrPaine
12-10-2004, 05:44 PM
LOL, u dont need anything to become mechanic, What they prefer is you to have your inspection license and maybe ur emissions testing aswell. Most of the garages will start you as a level 1 tech which is like simple tasks like oil chnages, tire rotation, tune ups. Then they will usually either train with a master tech or send you to school to learn to becuase level 2 and 3, this changes per place but its a general idea.

Lagos
12-10-2004, 08:31 PM
but what about a place like toyota dealership. i always see signs that their mechanics are certified, so i alwasy thought you had to have a degree in order to get a job there doing anything at all.

TRDmkII
12-10-2004, 10:31 PM
no you don't, you can start at the lowest level, lube tech, and work your way up, eventually if you get good your dealership will start sending you to toyota certification classes and then you become toyota certified...however you can also become ASE certified by taking some tests..however to be certified by ASE you have to have two years experience......but if you really want to be a technician then go apply at your local dealership...thats what i did....now i'm an ase certified technician...

Schmleff
12-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Go to aircraft mechanic school!

Lagos
12-10-2004, 11:26 PM
cool, thanks guys. im going to go apply at my local dealership. they are already impressed with my 3s swap, so ill use that as my resumee :)