PDA

View Full Version : New Front Cartridges, Making bad Noises

Kingsoup
06-13-2005, 09:48 PM
Hi there!

I just changed my front Cartridges for KYB-GR2's. I reseated the spring where its supposed to go, and torqued the top nut with impact, too 100lbs or so.

I a few days later changed torque to 32ft lbs, but I am getting bad noises when I turn. Clunk clunk, bonk, I suspect its the struts, half-shafts do not look to be leaking and didn't make this noise before struts.

I'm not familiar with the bearing on the upper strut mount, any suggestions on something I may have done wrong?

ChewDogg
06-14-2005, 03:42 AM
Prolly crushed the bearings at 100 ft lbs.

Kingsoup
06-14-2005, 06:00 AM
Son of a monkey! Pulling struts tommorow to check bearing play, that would explain the crunching noise.

deuce
06-14-2005, 02:49 PM
hey, im doing the same job right now, changing front cartridge to put kyb gr2 in, but i cant remove the cartridge from its place because there's that Hexagonal thing holding it, how can i remove that part? do i need any special tools?

Kingsoup
06-15-2005, 02:26 AM
HnmmMMM turned out the left side mounting nuts at top came a little loose.

Clunking from other side now, sounds very driveshaftish, this damn car.

On the + side, I went on a date tonight, and it was really nice to have the shiny black car instead of the 4-cyl mustang, or sputtering Supra Turbo.

The Celica may live after all!

ChewDogg
06-15-2005, 03:26 AM
Find a BIG pipe wrench to take that off. And a nice Vise to hold the strut still.

85gtsblackman
06-16-2005, 03:10 AM
heres what i did for that

used massive pipe wrench, had no vise so used a marine to hold housing in place

deuce
06-16-2005, 04:07 AM
hey guys, i have just finished installing the front cartridges but i forgot to put back the Upper insulator, is that ok? and what are the consequences?

ChrisD
06-27-2005, 10:03 PM
hey guys, i have just finished installing the front cartridges but i forgot to put back the Upper insulator, is that ok? and what are the consequences?

Do you mean the peice of foam, that slides onto the strut shaft? That is the bump stop, and is quite important. If you went over a hard bump and came near bottoming out, the bumpstop helps to soften the blow. With no bumpstop, it will be quite painful! (to you and the car)