PDA

View Full Version : neon question

Edicius
06-13-2005, 09:32 PM
my friend has a 99 grand am and wants to mount a neon that pulses to the music in his trunk. he has subs and i was wondering if i could power the neon by cutting off the cigarette lighter attachment and use the wire that powers his amp to power the neon, and run the ground some where in the trunk. would this work, or will this blow his amp?

94CelicaRedHatch
06-14-2005, 07:14 AM
i dont think its that powerful of a wire to tell ya the truth. I dont see why it wouldnt work. That or buy the neons that take batteries lol

RubberDuckie
06-14-2005, 07:20 AM
I would work yes, but it would be ALWAYS on since the power wire for the amp is always jucied, the remote wire is what tells the amp to kick on or off. Amp would not blow, he's have to have a switch hooked up on the neon, otherwise it will be always powered

Edicius
06-14-2005, 09:51 AM
he showed me the neon he wants to use, its an 8" blue one that plugs into the cigarette lighter. it has 2 buttons and a dial. one button is for turning it on and off, the other switches it from solid neon to pulsing with the music and the dial adjusts the sensitivity. so there's no problem with turning it on or off.

another question: do i have to worry about a fuse for it?

Blackcloud
06-14-2005, 09:54 AM
I would find a better source of power then the cig lighter. and allways fuse it

Edicius
06-14-2005, 11:58 AM
he doesn't want to use the cig lighter, so thats why i was asking if i could run the power from the same wire he used to power his amp. and judging from the other responses, i just have to figure out the fuse i need.

Blackcloud
06-14-2005, 12:58 PM
oh.. I was tired and did not read it right..

yes it will be fine.