PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Boxes

smoothtuner
06-13-2005, 03:51 AM
Just wondering what everyone is running for boxes...if anything at all? Anyone not running MSD or can objectively compare competitors?

CandianCelicaGT
06-13-2005, 03:52 AM
I believe the best box to use on the celica is the MSD 6A with an appropriate coil and wire set. I havn't done it, I will, but too much esle to do, this is what I'll be using with my 5sfe

smoothtuner
06-13-2005, 04:30 AM
Yeah I was looking at the SCI but the 6 series is more appealing since it seems to have the same specs, and will work with 4-6-8 cyl, so if I ever sell I can remove...

AllOutRed90
06-13-2005, 06:29 AM
yeah im so getting a 6a MSD before my stock shit stops working...itll be soon...ill be using a blaster 2 coil too

gen5
06-13-2005, 10:03 AM
I'm using the MSD SCI. MSD is the only one, I believe, that makes the tach adapter that you need to use so I would go with them. Prices are about the same as the rest and they are the original.

RickyNo
06-13-2005, 04:24 PM
I always heard, from many celi owners, that oem ignition system doesn't need to be replaced with an MSD, and if replaced, it doesn't upgrade power at all, or that much.

Did guys who's done it noticed a difference?

Mine runs on full stock ignition, i don't plan on modding that system at all.

alltracman78
06-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Mine feels a bit better, and it did improve gas mileage.
I have the MSD SCI on my Alltrac.

Gen 5 - Jacobs will work too, and you don't need any kind of tach adaptor. I actually liked it better than the MSD, only I broke 2....
But I had ignition gremlins at the time. One of these days I'm going to put a 3rd Jacobs and see how it goes...

smoothtuner
06-14-2005, 12:21 PM
I always heard, from many celi owners, that oem ignition system doesn't need to be replaced with an MSD, and if replaced, it doesn't upgrade power at all, or that much.
Not everything is done for power, and this same statement is made by nearly every car group. Of course a stock setup tends to be fine/worthy, they did design it that way....An msd or similar ignition's biggest difference than oem is not the amount of juice in the spark but the multiple sparks it provides. This leads to better response and smoothness as well as better efficiency if not 'power'.

RickyNo
06-14-2005, 06:26 PM
ok, the benefits is having multiple explosion, thus burns everything that was compressed and probably leaves nothing but exhaust fumes. I see.

smoothtuner
06-14-2005, 10:38 PM
You do realize it is said explosions that pushes the piston back down? Either way....don't buy one if you don't need it or think it is useless. I've done my research, I've seen independent dynos and reviews of different boxes on different makes.

alltracman78: I picked up a Jacobs Super Street today for cheap on ebay. I'll see how it works out.

RickyNo
06-15-2005, 12:31 AM
At the speed the sparks occur, it's not like there are many explosions, right? It burns the mixture completely though so better efficiency, i agree. It would be nice to share the results of your research to people here though.

I don't think i'll change my ignition system anyway, many other things to upgrade first.

smoothtuner
06-15-2005, 08:55 PM
What upgrades you going with first? Im sure Ill add them to my list.

Heres a link to a review of the prostreet....http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/jacobs/ it was on a 88 yota 4runner, so the gains could very well be just cause the stock ignition system and motor were tired....but it does do something...even if it is barely noticeable (as most 5sfe mods are).

RickyNo
06-15-2005, 09:52 PM
That's nice, if i was not selling the Runner i'd have a look into that.

They're not all engine performance related, wanna keep it as daily driver without too high running costs, just improve a little and not make a racer out of it.
- complete suspension + wheels
- cold air intake
- exhaust system
Then i might consider a new ignition system, you kinda proved me wrong, i'll see then.

gen5
06-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Jacobs, Mallory, Accel all made by the same company, just never been a big fan of them. On the other hand, I would like to try one from Crane Cams as they seem to have some pretty nice ones. I had a major increase in gas mileage, 2-4 mpg.

smoothtuner
06-16-2005, 11:41 AM
I had a major increase in gas mileage, 2-4 mpg With what on what?

ive never had a problem with Mr gasket companies in general, so Im trying the jacobs. Well see how it goes, I got a good deal on it on ebay. I've heard a few good things about the cranes, but didnt go too far looking for them. It was going to be MSD all the way but then I was tempted by the deal on the pro street, and the ease of its hookup.

alltracman78
06-16-2005, 05:04 PM
Jacobs, Mallory, Accel all made by the same company,

Didn't used to be. Jacobs was founded by I believe the guy who invented the pacemaker.
It was bought out by Mr Gasket. It it [was] made differently.

smoothtuner
06-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Interesting tidbit! And I didn't want to comment on subsidiaries since I dunno how MR Gasket is setup. I would bet mallory, accell and jacobs operate pretty independently. (IE:their ignitions are just rebadged)