PDA

View Full Version : Sensor problem

Freeze
06-13-2005, 02:42 AM
Is the sensor that plugs into the airbox absolutely neccesary? For instance, would I need to put the sensor in a new intake when I got one. And if so, how would I go about putting the sensor into a basic piece of aluminum piping?

CandianCelicaGT
06-13-2005, 03:19 AM
Its an air temp sensor, it tells your ecu if the air is hot or cold or somewhere inbetween, this helps the ecu figure out how much fuel to dump into the mix. Cold = more fuel, warm = less fuel.... so yes, it is necessary. You can buy "mod chips" from ebay, but all it will do is trick the ecu into thinking the air is always cold, therefore dumping more fuel into the mix, if you don't mind your feul mileage going down, buy that, if you do want to keeo your fiel mileage, pop a 3/4 inch hole into the new intake tube, transfer the grommet at plug in the sensor.

if you do decide to buy the "mod chip", let me know, I want to buy your sensor plug and 4 inches of the wire, still attached.

Psyko
06-13-2005, 03:25 AM
Its an air temp sensor, it tells your ecu if the air is hot or cold or somewhere inbetween, this helps the ecu figure out how much fuel to dump into the mix. Cold = more fuel, warm = less fuel.... so yes, it is necessary. You can buy "mod chips" from ebay, but all it will do is trick the ecu into thinking the air is always cold, therefore dumping more fuel into the mix, if you don't mind your feul mileage going down, buy that, if you do want to keeo your fiel mileage, pop a 3/4 inch hole into the new intake tube, transfer the grommet at plug in the sensor.

if you do decide to buy the "mod chip", let me know, I want to buy your sensor plug and 4 inches of the wire, still attached.
Not to hijack...But i might have one of those sensores around amn...Ill look for ya and let ya know,.,

But what he said is right, just put a small hole in there, and plug it back in..

CandianCelicaGT
06-13-2005, 03:28 AM
I need the plug with wire still attached, mine chafed off too close to the plastic to be able to solder to it, not the sensor, thanx though.

Psyko
06-13-2005, 03:30 AM
I need the plug with wire still attached, mine chafed off too close to the plastic to be able to solder to it, not the sensor, thanx though.

I meant the entire thing wire and all..I think we cut it all off the scrap car we had when i got mine..

CandianCelicaGT
06-13-2005, 03:33 AM
WOOT... mine chafed cause of the stupid charcoal cannister, which I ripped out the other day, but because of that busted wire, it was a bad idea, can you say too much Fuel Pessure in the return line.... gas everywhere, so, this plug, is very much needed. LOL

Freeze
06-13-2005, 04:57 AM
About how much in the way of fuel milage could I hope to gain as opposed to not having the sensor in at all?

Abacaba
06-13-2005, 05:39 AM
...Cold = more fuel, warm = less fuel.... so yes, it is necessary...

Is it really that simple?!

I thought if the air gets TOO warm, the engine would start using more fuel?!

Hooligan
06-13-2005, 06:13 AM
The engine adjusts several things, including mixture via the injectors and idle speed via the Idle Air Control valve, based on a few sensors (the air temperature sensor being one of them).

I doubt that you would get better gas mileage/performance without the sensor. I would imagine that the car would just start to run richer, as that is the response when the ECU doesn't see an O2 sensor or a coolant temperature sensor.

I would install that sensor with the grommet from the stock airbox. Remove the grommet, measure the hole it came out of, drill a hole of equal size in your aluminum pipe (you will probably have to pilot drill it so you don't have the drill bit walking all oer), reinstall the grommet in the pipe, and jam the sensor in. Voila.

Honestly though, you could probably secure that sensor somewhere in the engine bay near your air filter and get nearly the same results. I would expect that ambient temperatures outside the intake are similar to those inside (unless you are running some sort of a cool air box, etc).

acidice333
06-13-2005, 07:34 AM
How do I tell if mine is working properly?

Hooligan
06-13-2005, 01:41 PM
How do I tell if mine is working properly?

The Toyota factory service manuals have procedures for checking all of the sensors. Usually, it's to verify that their internal resistance is in a specified range.

RickyNo
06-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah, this one is a matter of reading the resistance, it varies depending on ambient temperature, the BGB has the values at different temps.

btw, mine is broken, probably since i got the car 3 years ago. It never recorded an error code from being broken, which i think is weird since there is a code for that sensor if broken (missing signal). For a full tank i do about 550km. I'd need to change it to see the difference, but OEM it costs way too much, imo.

alltracman78
06-13-2005, 07:32 PM
I might have one floating around...

Psyko
06-13-2005, 09:39 PM
I didnt find it when i looked through all my sutff, it still might be hiding somehwere in teh garage, ill let ya know if I find it Canadian...If not, maybe ill stop by teh bone yard and rip one off the car thats back there..Im gonna keep lookin though..