PDA

View Full Version : 4afe tranny gear ratios

PSE driver
06-12-2005, 11:59 PM
This is my daily driver and is a good little car. One thing i very much dislike is the gearing in this thing. I run 80 on the intersate and I'm pulling over 4k in rpms. Its rediculous. Is there any other gearing/transmission options that can help this?

dan93st
06-13-2005, 04:54 AM
This is my daily driver and is a good little car. One thing i very much dislike is the gearing in this thing. I run 80 on the intersate and I'm pulling over 4k in rpms. Its rediculous. Is there any other gearing/transmission options that can help this?

The final drive on the ST is like 4.31 or something close to that. So it revs high...it's never been a problem for me tho, 4k rpms on highway trips and i still get 35 mpg... But the high revs on the highway are the primary reason I havent gotten an aftermarket exhaust, I think it'd be loud on long trips. That being said, I dont know anything other than the final drive...but hopefully that helps somewhat.

creech_r
06-13-2005, 07:59 AM
But the high revs on the highway are the primary reason I havent gotten an aftermarket exhaust, I think it'd be loud on long trips.

it is...you get out after turning the car off after 420 miles straight...damn it feels like you just went under a still pond, the void drives you nuts when it's off and the noise drives you nuts while you're going 75-80...mine gets real quiet at 90 though.

PSE driver
06-14-2005, 03:47 AM
So no one has done anything with different trannys or changed gearing? Will a GT or GTS tranny bolt up? I know the ST is a odd ball A-spec so they probably won't. I don't see how you guys can take it.

Snafu
06-14-2005, 08:42 PM
There are just a few other A series trannies out there. They mostly belong to the 4age's. The 4agze tranny is supposed to be beefy, and the 20v tranny is supposed to have some pretty short ratios. They should all bolt up, and linkage shouldn't be a problem.

PSE driver
06-15-2005, 04:33 AM
Is there any sites with the particular gear ratios on the A series trannies? Or is their a list of what trannys come in which particular vehicles? Will the starter pose a problem or should it bolt up fine on other A series trannys as well?

The 4agze is in something supercharged right? if so, what vehicle? MR2?