PDA

View Full Version : new owner, lots of questions :)

rzanology
06-12-2005, 07:19 PM
I just got my hands on a 94 and im loving it (first car). I got a new engine dropped (stock with 67k miles), body work and new paint job. She looks nice…but not really running so nice  . I’ve been told that after an engine swap little things here and there tends to go wrong, but im getting a lot of little things and its frustrating.

1. Clutch goes soft, I have to pump it to get it back how its supposed to feel….i had the slave cylinder changed and its still doing it…could it be the master?
2. I’m riding 17’s….when I go over bumps the wheel tends to follow the bump…my rims or alignment?
3. my exhaust manifold is the only thing that was not changed….and now it has a little crack…where can I find a new one? I tried looking everywhere. I noticed the stock one has the CAT built onto the manifold, I really want to get the stock one back….i don’t want to have to go and buy a new cat and then turn around and get new piping.
4. With in the next 6 months im looking to change just about everything on the car…I don’t want to wait till I get problems to start changing stuff. My order is…suspension….breaks….and then some clutch work.
5. What is a good suspension kit? I don’t really want a really sporty ride, just looking for something that will ride really smooth but will still over a performance feel. I can spend around $500 or so.
6. What should I do here? If I can get everything replaced for about $200 I’d be more than happy to do it. I’d like to have new everything….is that a good idea?
7. I don’t really have any problems with my clutch…but I plan to push about 7 pounds of boost next year…so I’d like to have something to take advantage of that….im scared of changing something and the cat becomes undriveable (in live in nyc….lol stop lights every 2 blocks!)…What do you guys recommend?

Any other tips you guys can offer I’d love to know. I’ll be driving this car without boost for another year or so…so I’d love to learn how to tweak it. Thanks for any help in advance guys.

Lagos
06-12-2005, 08:13 PM
1. try bleeding the cluch again

2 could be your rims are not hubcentric, alignment problme or crappy tires.

3 dealership can get u one. or try buying and sellg forum.

5. eibach prokit or sportlines with new shocks

6. get what replaced for 200? i dont get the question.

7 do more research so that you know what you are getting into before you turbo your car. some people have good luck with it, some people blow their motors...learn all you can before you jump into it to see whats best for you.

Akimbo
06-13-2005, 04:19 AM
GT or ST?

rzanology
06-13-2005, 05:10 AM
its a st

sorry about that. i ment breaks. If i can get everything done for 200.

thanks lagos....im gonna try your answers.

presure2
06-13-2005, 11:45 AM
yup, art pretty much covered all the bases, you could try a junkyard for a exhaust manifold.

96celica
06-13-2005, 02:49 PM
wow ummm b4 thinking about boosting you need to go and fix EVERYTHING else first
ask anyone around here boosting isn't simple nor is it "bolt on" you gotta do tons of research i've been researching the turbo ST (7afte) for awhile planning for my setup
boosting a 7afe takes time and patience and if not done right well BOOM is your only answer.....but good luck

suspension go with eibach sportlines and kyb gr2 struts

exhaust manifold- if you TRUELY plan on turboing then leave the manifold as is for now and wait to buy your turbo manifold if your iffy on it go buy a new manifold from
advanced auto parts

rzanology
06-15-2005, 07:35 PM
i got my hands on the maifold....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7979564065&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1

hopefully i can get some of my power back. I was able to find a site with both the eibach and gr2 struts on it...so i'll get those next month.

I notice when i hit about 60mph the streering wheel starts to shake. Do you guys know what that might be?

94CelicaRedHatch
06-15-2005, 07:39 PM
Dont go gun ho into dropping a turbo into the car. Ive done some research myself and it takes a delicate hand to do it. Id get all the info you can before starting any projects

rzanology
06-16-2005, 03:00 AM
Dont go gun ho into dropping a turbo into the car. Ive done some research myself and it takes a delicate hand to do it. Id get all the info you can before starting any projects

yea im seeing that now. i think i'll just enjoy the low milage for now.

Lagos
06-16-2005, 04:30 AM
the shaking at 60mph...

2 could be your rims are not hubcentric, alignment problme or crappy tires.

or sometime your balljoints need replacing.

TEAMFaint
06-16-2005, 04:44 AM
I'll have to agree with lagos about the shaking at 60 mph.
Before I put my 17's on my celica, my stock wheels had near bald tires. When driving on the highway and going about 110 km/h my whole dash would seem to shake. Now with the new tires/rims I can easily go 160km/h+ and not get any shaking :bigthumbu

rzanology
06-16-2005, 12:39 PM
i think you're right lagos. when i jacked it up yesterday i held the rim at 12 and 6 and tried to shake it. to my surprise the thing was moving waaaaaaaaay too much. it felt like i could pull it right off. So i guess it is the balljoints or bearings. i know the dealer is gonna rape me for these parts....but i gottah get my ride str8 :(