PDA

View Full Version : Transponder Keys?!!?!?

PANGA
06-09-2005, 03:41 AM
Toyota wants $300 for a new transponder key with central locking buttons.... WTF?!?!?! SIF!

is there anywhere to get aftermarket ones?!?!

i dun wanna lose my key and hafta replace the whole ECU....

Thumpin00gts
06-09-2005, 05:49 AM
I'm not familiar with the celica transponder key, but I have read about the MRS-spyder system and I assume the approaches to be the same considering it's the same company. Unfortunately unless you have at least one master key that you can use to reprogram the new transponder key with you will have to shell out some cash to have the dealership do it. For the spyder they have to use special equipment to retrieve the key code off the ecu, pass it through a computer, wait for the response and then upload that to the new key. Goodluck mate

apogee
10-06-2005, 03:41 AM
Panga,

Did you manage to find where replacement transponder central locking can be bought ? I just bought a used Celica 2003 and have only one master key. Likewise, the AU dealer wants AU$330 for a replacement key...

I've seen that US locksmiths sell a blank transponder key for ~$25 with instruction to re-program the transponder if you have the original master key. It sounds like it'll be good enough to open and start your car - not sure about the remote unlocking though.

toytech
10-06-2005, 04:25 PM
some alarm installers can bypass it, but you still need to have the master.