PDA

View Full Version : Which TPS?

ion_four
06-07-2005, 04:52 AM
I've converted my 77 Celica's 20r to fuel injection using a 22re manifold and a HEAVILY ported/welded/drilled/tapped head :) Problem is that I'm using Megasquirt and it needs a TPS that is a potentiometer, not just a switch (as it is in the 22re throttle body.)

Where might I find one that will mount up and has a half-moon shaped hole into which the throttle shaft can go? I've heard that the 85 22r(t?)e's had a real potentiometer, while the '84's did not. For reference, it seems that the ~86 Camrys and Celica Supras use switches that will mount.

Any suggestions?

I've looked into hacking up a potentiometer from the shack and putting it in there, but the water neck outlet for the radiator is Soooo close it's not even funny. I may just have to make something, but I'm not too sure how long it'll last.

85CelicaGT
06-07-2005, 05:52 AM
well i took my 84 tb off and put on an 85 tb just use a 85 TPS and you should be fine

ion_four
06-07-2005, 04:55 PM
So, the 85 IS a potentiometer-type TPS? I hacked apart my 84, last night and can just barely fit the parts of a potentiometer in there, but it might be incredibly tedious to get it to be secure and line up.

85CelicaGT
06-07-2005, 06:08 PM
nah to be honest if you need a potitionmeter use the 1985 it will work thats what mine is and it works wonderfully now if you have to but one from the dealership its 250 bucks so be careful but you prolly could find one in a junk yard too just make sure to test it for deadspots and all that good stuff

ion_four
06-07-2005, 06:46 PM
Yeah, it just might be a hassle to find one at the junker. Though, I'm sure as hell not going to pay $250 for one, since that's what the car cost me! I mean, I've put about 3-4 times that into it, again, but it's the principal.

So, an 85+ 22re should have it? If so, I'll just look on ebay or post around.

Thanks a bunch! I owe you one.

85CelicaGT
06-09-2005, 04:58 AM
not a problem i always like to help out fellow celica owners