PDA

View Full Version : Lower sway bar (???) problem

jburner21
06-06-2005, 05:35 PM
it would seem that my leaking PS fluid has caused some corrosion under the passenger side of my GT and now I have this knocking whenever I go over a bump. I looked under the car and found that there as a suspension bar of some sort (a friend said it may be some sort of anti-sway bar) that has come undone from where it is secured to the bottom of the car, because the point where it was bolted to has rusted away (probably from bein soaked in PS fluid constantly).

The point of my post is to ask, will failure to immediately get this repaired potentially cause catastrophic failure of my suspension, i.e. similar to what happens if ur ball joints go (which has happened to me in my old accord.... which is now why I have a celica... long story)????

I'd like to know because I'm considering driving to OH this weekend, and I'd hate for it to possibly break down while I'm hundreds of miles from home....

Your help is appreciated

Hooligan
06-06-2005, 05:40 PM
It sounds to me like one of your swaybar mounts rusted out. That is not something I would probably drive the car on, but I doubt that it will cause catastrophic failure.

alltracman78
06-06-2005, 06:04 PM
I doubt the pwr steering fluid caused the metal to rust.....

Is it the chassis that has a hole rusted in it, or is it just the bushing mount?

jburner21
06-06-2005, 06:07 PM
not too sure.... I'll try and get pics up either today or tomorrow....

Rayme
06-07-2005, 12:01 AM
Mine was starting to "bend" I got the body shop to solidify these mounts, not overly expensive but a good measure...as for repairing it I'm sure its possible

Stubble
06-14-2005, 05:54 AM
PS fluid is ATF (auto trans fluid) which can also be used as oil in a transmission, so it won't corrode steel. I have the same problem - the floorpan on one side of my swaybar mount has rusted away. I'll probably fab up or modify the bracket.

Rayme - can you post pics of what you did?

Murgatroy
06-14-2005, 08:44 AM
This happened to Chaos last year.

It will not cause your car to fall apart or come unglued. It will however cause you to go insane hearing that bump and rattle every few seconds in the car. And trust me, the stereo won't get loud enough to drown it out. Mine happened from rust. If I had a welder I would have fixed it already. But I don't. So for the last 6 months I have driven around with this god awful thumping under my floorboard. I am lazy.

The only issues I have is a slight float in corners and she dips a little low on the nose in some corners and a little high in the nose in others. I doubt a lot of folks live in the mountains like I do and I doubt if you did you would drive like I do...

It is not gonna kill your car per se, but I would get it fixed as soon as possible. The thumping has driven me insane, but I have other worries on my mind that a broken swaybar mount...

jburner21
06-21-2005, 02:58 PM
Thanks a lot for the replys guys.... And u are right, I am goin crazy over that thump/knock... Plus it's really embarassing when I have a girl in the ride and she's constantly goin "what is that knockin noise, is your car ok??"

Oh well... it'll be fixed really soon (that and the PS pump, lol)

But once again, thank you all for your help