PDA

View Full Version : Transmission probs

mutant_on_steroids
06-03-2005, 09:29 PM
Hey fellas. New to celicatech, as I recently got the car I've wanted for a long time...1990 Celica GT (Couldn't afford Alltrac...LOL).

My 5 sp transmission grinds on the 2nd and 3rd gears and having asked around, been told that my synchros may be out. Is this the case? I don't know much about cars at the moment so I'm not sure if I should simply fix the synchros or if it'll be too costly, simply get a new transmission alltogether. Potentially in the near future, I am considering whichever mods I will need to get my car to average 210 hp. If this the case, if simply sticking with my 5SFE engine a good idea or swapping it with a 3SGTE...remember, cost is the shizmi of my wallet!

Thanks.

Mike431635
06-03-2005, 10:38 PM
First off, welcome to the site.

Second, if you're going to make big power, you're gonna need money. There's no way to do it "cheaply". This is the only thing keeping me from swapping a 3SGTE right now (possibly going to be doing it this month or next).

And as for the tranny, try some Pennzoil Synchromesh tranny fluid and if you can't find any, go get some GM Synchromesh. If that doesn't help with the grinding, you would be better off just getting another tranny and swapping it in. They are very common and a LOT cheaper than having it rebuilt unless you can do it yourself.

AJz
06-03-2005, 11:37 PM
yea with the tranny problem, i had the same issue where it was very noisy downchanging into 2nd, and also took forever to get into reverse, i was going to do the clutch at the same time so thought, well if they gearbox is already coming out, i may aswell see if i can find a better one, so i did. Works so much beta now, I can ACTUALLY use 2nd gear.

Luis C
06-04-2005, 05:27 AM
Putting the car on jackstands and filling the gearbox with lube actually helped A LOT with my crunching synchros.... I found this out last week after having my clutch changed and having done some major work on CV shafts where gear box oil had been lost and replaced but what really made a difference was the fact of toping it of while the car was on jackstands

caneman
06-05-2005, 07:16 PM
Same result. Mechanic topped off tranni after installing new CV shafts and my 2nd & 3rd gear synchro problems went away...

mutant_on_steroids
06-06-2005, 08:07 PM
I'll get some Penziol synchromesh today and figure how to change the fluid....anyone want to give me a quick guide on how to proceed? Unless it's as easy as doing an oil change.

Hooligan
06-07-2005, 12:16 AM
I'll get some Penziol synchromesh today and figure how to change the fluid....anyone want to give me a quick guide on how to proceed? Unless it's as easy as doing an oil change.

It's pretty much that easy.

1. Remove fill plug on the front of the transmission.
2. Remove drain plug on bottom of transmission.
3. Replace drain plug after complete drain.
4. Fill via fill plug until fluid level is up to plug.

lovebug
06-22-2005, 08:50 AM
I need help my celica keeps popping out of 5th gear. Do you have any ideas to look for

idontknow56324
07-02-2005, 07:21 AM
Hello,
My 1992 Celica GT is also poppping out of 5th gear? Was wondering if it was a linkage adjustment, or need a new tranny?
Thanks

alltracman78
07-02-2005, 07:13 PM
For those of you popping out of gear. Have you looked at the shifter yet? You'll have to pull it apart. You can disconnect the cables from the shifter and see if just the shifter will stay in place. If not, that's probably what it is.
If not, maybe the syncros?

Luis, so you filled it with the car at an angle? Basically overfilled it?