PDA

View Full Version : to paint or not to pain the trim

jason
06-01-2005, 09:08 PM
Well, I'm in the middle of polying my motor mounts and now that the car's gonna be innactive for a while I'm just going to start sanding for primer/paint right now so that when the CS bumper and hood come I can sand those and the car'll be ready at once. Looking at our cars though, what to do about the trim? I know I'll be painting the carbon fiber wrap at the front of the hood but I'm talking mainly about the trim around the windows, windshield, and hatchback glass. They're black already which is what color my car will end up but they're sun damaged and will be off-color from a new gloss-black. Do we paint this too or order new ones from yota? I guess also on this topic is the rubber trim around the door handles and lights. Thanks as always in advance-

Mike431635
06-01-2005, 09:28 PM
I would advise against painting the "CF" pieces-- when painted they look very tacky. If you leave them as they are they will blend with your black paint job. They do with mine. As for the trims around the windows, windshield, and hatch glass, never paint those. If they are torn up you need to get replacement ones from the dealer or elsewhere and install them. If not, you can use Mother's Back-to-Black and it will make them look 100% better. And for the rubber trim around the door handles and stuff-- I painted the side mouldings, mirrors, and door handles, which were originally a different color than the rest of my car. The paint holds well and looks great.

I have no idea what you're talking about with the trim around the lights unless you're talking about the crap you have to pull out from around the popup headlights (surrounds the lens and covers the sides of the housing) to replace them.

RickyNo
06-01-2005, 10:22 PM
I don't think he mean Carbon Fiber but really Carlos Sainz bumper (CS)

Mike431635
06-01-2005, 11:42 PM
I know I'll be painting the carbon fiber wrap at the front of the hood..

That's what I was referring to. :)

BraveUlysses
06-02-2005, 03:02 AM
Don't paint the CF hood trim, it looks like shit. Also don't paint the trim around the doors, as it will flex and wear differently than the paint that resides on the body, and you will end up having a shitty looking car in no time.

jezbo
06-02-2005, 05:11 AM
don't paint the carrbon up front.. that is so independent to celi's that i think it would take away from the character of the car

jason
06-02-2005, 11:48 AM
hmmm, ok, so no painting the CF up front. I guess I'll try that mother's product and see if it can restore some of the oxidation that's going on with the trim around the glass. If that doesn't work I'll replace them completely. What I meant when I said lights were the tail lights. Around those and around the door handles are rubber trimmings, should I only Mother's those too or replace them but never paint them?

Mike431635
06-02-2005, 05:21 PM
You can paint around the door handles easily. As for the tail lights, don't paint those. Even if the paint did stick and not discolor, it would look horrible. Just use mothers on that too. If you want to see my painted side mouldings, mirrors, and door handles check out my gallery.

http://hosted.docman.cc/Mike431635

jason
06-02-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm not so sure we're talking about the same things. I'm not worried about any part of the chassis itself or even a body part. All I'm concerned with is rubber trim. I say this because you keep mentioning the mirrors, side mouldings, and door handles. These parts are all the same color on my car. I'm just concerned with the rubber trim that's sealing the seams between the door handles themselves and the chassis. I'll try mother's and if that doesn't look any good I'll just allow yota to rape me with their OEM prices :D Thanks for all your input though guys-

schmooot
06-02-2005, 06:58 PM
take all the side mouldings off and then paint door handles

Galcobar
06-03-2005, 12:41 AM
On some Celicas the mirrors and door mouldings were not colour-keyed to the car.

The rubber trim around the door handles on my car was painted -- not entirely by choice, the prior owner let Maaco at it, and when I decided to repaint I pretty much had to do them again, not that I'm objecting.

Two points with the Mothers B2B -- when it says you have to massage it in, it means it. You've got to work it in well to get even results. However, it does work, for a while. You have to keep re-applying it every month if you store your car outside, sometimes more often if it's a really sunny climate. I tend to B2B my trim before I wash and wax. Because of the need for continuous reapplication I keep the B2B away from the rubber door seals and use a proper rubber conditioner on them.

And please, take off your CF trim and lights before painting if you're not going to be smart and disassemble your car. Not only will you get a better paint job, it'll give you a chance to properly treat all the rubber and plastic normally inaccessible.