PDA

View Full Version : Prepping for Paint + Bodykit Install

TEAMFaint
05-31-2005, 06:06 AM
Didn't know where to put this forum so 5th gen sounds good:

I'm starting my sanding and bodykit install, as well as primering my car on Wednesday. I'm trying to get the car done for June 11 for a car show in Calgary. :( I've been asking around for what the best way to sand it is, so I figure I might as well ask the celicatech experts :D

What grit should I be looking for. Obviously I'll need a few cause of the clear coat and then the actual paint.

What should I use to actually sand the car down with? Electric sander? Block sander? By hand?

Any input would be great, I'd rather do this stuff by myself rather than pay some guy $300 to get it done. Thanks everyone!

PhillyDRFT
05-31-2005, 07:17 AM
Depends on what kit your molding and what parts. I'm currently molding my Invader kit. your going to want to use an orbital sander to get the original paint off the car. I used 80 Grit and a black and decker mouse sander to get down to the metal. once you have your body filler on i used 80 grit and the sander to get it smooth you can also use a very fine grit and wet sand to get it perfect. just try a few different grits and see what works for you the best. and for finishing work nothing works better then your own 2 hands and a piece of sand paper to a block of wood. if your using bondo your going to end up getting waves in it best way ive found to stop this is layering it and sanding so you evenly build up.

as for the primer.... just rough the paint up and take it to wherever your getting it painted and have them do the prime and paint work for you you’ll get a much better result

Mike431635
05-31-2005, 02:41 PM
I used a Black and Decker sander like he did with "Heavy" grit pads and finished it off with the "medium" once I got close to the metal. Then I let the paint shop do the rest.

Fenix
06-01-2005, 01:50 PM
I tried using a Black and Decker sander with 60 grit but it was so damn slow. I used a grinder with 60-80 grit paper on to get my paint down to metal.

You shouldn't use you're hands for finishing work, only flat sanding blocks. The biggest you can use will yield the best results.

For stripping paint u should use a DA grinder or a chemical stripper or media blasting.

TEAMFaint
06-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Thanks for all the input. I ended up getting a Mastercraft Orbital Sander, and a Black and Decker Mouse Sander along with 120 grit, 180 grit, and 320 grit sand paper. I'm excited for the prep work big time :D

Mike431635
06-01-2005, 11:41 PM
You won't be after the first hour or so.. :hehe:

Just make sure you get some protection for your eyes, nose, and mouth! Inhaling the dust that's created or getting it in your eyes is NOT fun!

celicaguy.
06-02-2005, 07:52 AM
Kellan give me a call sometime this weekend, my # should be on my msn properties. I will help you do the sanding and kit install.

TEAMFaint
06-02-2005, 02:48 PM
Kellen give me a call sometime this weekend, my # should be on my msn properties. I will help you do the sanding and kit install.

Hey Neil. I cant seem to find your phone # anywhere. Just PM me it on here or on beyond, whichever works. I probably wont start the sanding until next week now, because my clutch guy screwed up with the throw-out bearing and has to re-do it. It goes in Monday, hopefully its back by Wednesday.