PDA

View Full Version : Getting licensed in AB

acidice333
05-29-2005, 08:06 AM
How hard is it to get a drivers license in AB?

I'm prohibited from driving by interest of ICBC (two speeding tickets, lol) and a court order (: so I was thinking I should try and get a AB drivers license? I didn't have my "full" DL when I lost my license.

One of my friends that lived in AB said I could go there, do the written test and get a driven test and done. Is it that simple? =/

RickyNo
05-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Nothing is better than official infos:
http://www3.gov.ab.ca/gs/services/mv/operator.cfm
Before doing too much reading, look at the last point of "Basic Qualifications".

acidice333
05-29-2005, 04:18 PM
What defines being a resident?
Yes I have an address there, I'm actually a BC resident but yes I have a phyical house address there.

RickyNo
05-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Contact them and ask. Having a physical address probably qualifies you.

ChrisD
06-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Should work. Are you over 18? New drivers have to get a probation license or something now. My brother can't drive late at night on his own, even though he has his license :hehe:

Arcias
06-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Yeah, I got mine a couple months before that was implented. Glad I did too, I'd hate having a curfew.

celicaguy.
06-06-2005, 07:41 PM
The curfew stuff only applies to the learners licence not the gdl glass 5.

ChrisD
06-07-2005, 07:43 PM
The curfew stuff only applies to the learners licence not the gdl glass 5.

Nope, it applies to the GDL class 5 too. My brother just got his a few weeks ago.

celicaguy.
06-09-2005, 06:01 AM
http://www.saferoads.com/drivers/drivers_gdl_qa.html

As far as this states the curfew is only a limitation but on the gdl learners licence. I've been pulled over a few times way past 12. In no way am I trying to be a dick, just thought maybe I'de try to get your little bro an extra couple hours at the girlfriends.

RickyNo
06-13-2005, 05:19 PM
I'll probably, very very likely, move to Alberta, most likely at Lake Louise, in august this year. I went to see about driver's license exchange... :woot:

Exchanging a non-Alberta Operator's Licence

A valid licence from another Canadian jurisdiction can be exchanged for and equivalent class (Classes 1 through 7). Testing is not normally required, but medical and vision requirements must be met. A medical and proof of vision screening is required for Class 1, 2 and 4 and may be required for all other classes if applicant has a medical condition that may affect their ability to safely operate a motor vehicle.

Now i'll check out car registration and insurances, i heard it's much different from here.

ChrisD
06-13-2005, 07:11 PM
http://www.saferoads.com/drivers/drivers_gdl_qa.html

As far as this states the curfew is only a limitation but on the gdl learners licence. I've been pulled over a few times way past 12. In no way am I trying to be a dick, just thought maybe I'de try to get your little bro an extra couple hours at the girlfriends.

Interesting. I'll have to check with my bro, I might have got mixed up by not paying attention. :hehe:

I'll probably, very very likely, move to Alberta, most likely at Lake Louise, in august this year. I went to see about driver's license exchange...

Cool, you'll like it there. Lake Louise itself is quite small but very beautiful. And of course, lots of skiing/snowboarding. It's a couple hour drive from here in Calgary. I like it here because there are all the benefits of the big city, but only a short drive to the Rockies. :bigthumbu

celicaguy.
06-15-2005, 06:25 AM
I agree with chris, and lake louise is sooo exspensive too. I'm moving to calgary in august for school, it will be nice to have louise and sunshine alot closer than they were before, and cop for the nighttime sessions.

acidice333
06-15-2005, 07:58 PM
Hmm question... if I wait till I get my license back in BC, can I get a AB license? not exchange it, like dual licenses.

Days remaining: 308.50307
Weeks remaining: 44.07187
Days past: 56.49693
Weeks past: 8.07099

RickyNo
06-15-2005, 10:13 PM
Cool, you'll like it there. Lake Louise itself is quite small but very beautiful. And of course, lots of skiing/snowboarding. It's a couple hour drive from here in Calgary. I like it here because there are all the benefits of the big city, but only a short drive to the Rockies. :bigthumbu

Yeah, i looked at a map to see the exact location and the distance from Calgary, about what, 2 hours or so?

I just hope i can get that Millwright job right away, and everything that comes with the job. :wiggle:

ChrisD
06-15-2005, 10:26 PM
Yeah lake louise is about 2 hours or so. Maybe 2.5. i have no clue on dual licenses

TEAMFaint
06-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Are you sure there is a curfew for GDL Class 5 Drivers? I dont believe so, I just thought it was for the Learners Licence. I'm currently holding a GDL Licence and I've been out driving as late as 4 AM haha :owned: