PDA

View Full Version : How many times do you wash your car?

lavy_gts
05-28-2005, 06:33 PM
The other day I was getting carved by some family members on how much I was my car? I usually wash it 5 times a week and try to was every or every other week.

Am i the only clean freek on this forum?

And I dont see the problem in takeing pride in something you own?

Galcobar
05-28-2005, 06:43 PM
Wax every other week is a little excessive, unless you're doing a really bad job or using a bad car shampoo. Ever tried a wax booster or spray detailer in between washes instead?

Washing it five times a week...depends on the weather, the geography, etc. Lot of places it's much easier to do a quick detail using a spray than to wash, and it picks up the wax coat.

AllOutRed90
05-28-2005, 06:50 PM
well i heard that the more often you wash it like everyday that the paint wont last that long

lavy_gts
05-28-2005, 06:54 PM
its not that I have to wash/wax my car I just do, and yes sorry when I said wax I men't that I use a detail spray every week/other week, every month I wax it properly.
Your not going to fade the paint on the body because you wash/wax it, your protecting it lol, however the bumpers seems there plastic do fade.

lavy_gts
05-28-2005, 06:56 PM
Whyte you do have a point though, if your useing a high powered pressure washer to wash your car, yes you may end up peeling some paint because it would always be moist from the previous wash, however if you dry your car properly that wont/shouldnt happen

carlosfandango
05-28-2005, 08:05 PM
a detail every other day is ok, as long as the car is washed properly first to prevent light abrasion.

Since the beginning of spring, I've washed the 185 every 10 days or so, I gave it a few coats of show car glaze late spring and its had half a dozen coats of wax, so i reckon i can get away with waxing once a month and washing once a fortnight, unless it gets particularly dirty and needs a wash and detail sooner.

Like lavy_gts, i rinse and detail the convertible everyday when it is out of dry storage, I dont take her out in the wet and don't 'soak' her through.

Blackcloud
05-28-2005, 09:18 PM
about once a week

3SGEnuine
05-28-2005, 09:26 PM
By Murphy's law, it always rains the same say I wash my car. That's why I don't do it too often :).

ibanezgfx
05-28-2005, 10:01 PM
roughly once a week. i use the wax as you dry occasionally and i wax with meguiars gold class like monthly or every other month. when my paint looks real bad, i do a 3 step process... cleaner wax, sealer glaze, and then gold class.
i need to buy a clay bar

RickyNo
05-29-2005, 04:03 AM
I need to learn how to really do a good cleaning, restoring and waxing job. :slap:

Don't wash it very often. Now it sat all winter, i washed it 2 weeks ago. no wax. There's bad weather for days here, so she gets dirty but it rains and washes the rough off it.

Galcobar
05-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Go to autopia.org -- check out the articles under Learn at the top. Then start browsing the forums. Welcome to the world of auto detailing. And people think mods are addictive.

RickyNo
05-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Will check it out, thx.

94CelicaRedHatch
05-29-2005, 06:13 PM
id say at least every other week, usually more often in the summer. I just detail the inside when I was the car to kill two birds with one stone

85gtsblackman
05-29-2005, 08:14 PM
i was washing mine every weekend and waxed it one a month along with a deatail on the inside every 2 weeks

now sine i got rear ended im waiting till the insurance company checks it out

ibanezgfx
05-30-2005, 12:44 AM
well in the winter i might clean it if its nice out. other than that its dirty all winter. no point to clean it when theres so much salt on the ground. i do spray the salt off like once a week in the winter though.

ChrisD
05-30-2005, 06:31 AM
A few years of washing 5 times a week can really help rust start to build. I personally don't wash nearly that often. I've washed my car once this year so far. But I do not drive it nearly as much as most. I would say once every 2-4 weeks for me, as long as I am driving it. (not down for mods, maintanence, storage)

Galcobar
05-30-2005, 07:16 AM
Perhaps you've heard of rain? I know Calgary hasn't seen much of it in the last few years, but speaking from someplace where we get rain instead of snow, suggesting that getting the car wet five times a week will encourage rust is rather amusing.

By washing the car, you actually reduce the chance of rust, since you remove dirt and grime that can trap water against metal and against paint, reducing their longevity. That is of course assuming you're doing a complete wash job, as opposed to simply wetting it down and running a soapy sponge over it.

ChrisD
05-30-2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah we get barely any rain here. A long rain storm is like 10 minutes. :laugh: But they usually blast right through in the afternoon. Usually exactly when I'm riding my bike home from work.

What do I know. This is my first wash/wax post ever. :hehe:

But still, I would think that a pressure washer would indeed be able to penetrate into places much better than rain would. Water is one ingredient you need for rust. Salt is the other. I would think by exposing your car to more water, you would have a better chance at promoting rust. Sure you remove dirt (and salt), but still, your car being wet more would give it a better chance to react. I guess it would depend on how well you dried off your car following each wash.

Also on the coast you guys probably dont salt the streets, whereas we do here....so you are constantly exposed to the salt. I guess you guys have the salt in the air from the sea as well though....

The guy across the street from me washes his cars damn near every day. Both his beamer and his explorer are showing signs of rust. Just an observation...

In sum, you can disregard pretty much anything i type in the wash/wax forum. :hehe:

Galcobar
05-30-2005, 01:37 PM
No worries...where I am we don't salt very often because, well, we don't get frozen roads very often. And I live within a block of the ocean, but never noticed salt as being an issue.

A pressure washer on your car is, to my mind, overdoing it. Between a thorough wetting, a good soap and proper deep wash mitt, the dirt should pretty much float off with a gentle nudge. BTW, combine the rain in a temperate rainforest with living beneath the mountains, and you get wind-driven rain that penetrates pretty much anything. That's how we got all those leaky condos -- the water barriers used were designed for ordinary rainfall, not our minor monsoon season the rest of the country calls winter.

I've owned my car for seven years, and I'd estimate it's spent the equivalent of about three years in the rain. It can rain for a week here, so drying isn't really an option.

fiveSFE
06-16-2005, 04:00 AM
i do mine probably 2 or 3 tiems a week, just because i work at a car dealership we have all the supplies in back, and usualy on the weekdays its kinda slow at night. back when i had my celica i did it maybe once a month because the paint was so bad anyways, but i kept the inside pretty clean usually.

MoralWarfare
06-16-2005, 04:38 AM
i wash her 2 times a week, and wax every third wash with Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax. I do a full detail every month.

lavy_gts
06-16-2005, 05:47 AM
.... snif... snifff... today i went out and washed my driveway seems I had no car to wash :(

alltracman78
06-18-2005, 04:26 AM
You wax every ewwk and an half?

RallyK
06-20-2005, 02:45 AM
I wash my car average 3 times a week. In the winter I wash it about 3-4 times a week because of all the salt and dirt. Build up makes it hard to see out the windows and I try to pressure wash the ice and dirt build up inside the wheel wells.

I can't wax my car for a few months because I just got a paint job.

Blackcloud
06-20-2005, 04:18 AM
maybe once a week

MoralWarfare
06-20-2005, 11:08 PM
You wax every ewwk and an half?

if by ewwk you mean week, then yes.

monkracing29
02-28-2008, 03:01 PM
I wash mine every weekend depending on the weather if the weather is not the best ill d it 2 times a week and i also detail the inside whenever it gets a little dirty and wax every other weekend